Sachs 505/1D engine... what kind and how much oil?

I got a sachs 505/1d engine and i would like to know what kind of oil to put in it?<

and how much?

some 4-stroke oil (10W-30) should do ...right???

if yes...how much???

i rode it afternoon to realise after that there was no oil in it...

could have ruin the engine...

damn...i'm lucky...

anyway, any help would be great

thanks in advance

g.b.

Re: Sachs 505/1D engine... what kind and how much

Bradley Barrus /

Use Type A automatic transmission oil. It is an old type of transmission oil but I found it in an autoparts store and use it in my two Sachs 505 engined mopeds.

Guillaume Bergeron /

HOW MUCH?

plz...

g.b.

I believe that the Sachs manuals call for type F transmission fluid, but I may be wrong

Edward Edwards /

Ray is right, type "F" trans fluid. Fill it till it stops dripping from the filler hole.

Thank you good sir!

Re: Sachs 505/1D engine... what kind and how much oil?

any transmission fluid is fine. i like to use Mercon V. the standards on these old engines are outta date with modern oil products.

you actually kinda gotta refill it twice, like fill it til it comes out the filler hole, run it a second and repeat. it doesnt get all the oil into the back of the case and around everyhwere til it's spun for a lil bit

Just for posterity's sake, found the exact number of ounces of ATF to put in a Sachs 505, in the General 5 Star manual--250ml

♣Slew Foot♣ /

My manual called for gear oil 60w. It was for an 80s 505 1a

I tried a lot of different oils and didnt find a real benefit or noticeable difference. From ATF up to 85w gear oil. the way the clutch engages doesnt allow the same kind of butt-feel clutch tuning that folks attempt with tomos and stuff.

also note, gear oil and engine oil (SAE) weights scale differently.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Straight marvel mystery oil for non slip or aggressive grip.

The original post above is from 2004....lol! Good reminder though for us Sachs folks about what type of oil to use in the gearbox/clutch. I’ve been using type F auto trans fluid in mine without any issues.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account