Re: Bumble Bike

Oh ,I love tire scrubbers,especially if mounted on full suspension bicycles.They are the gas mileage kings of the road. don-ohio (:^)

the pitchman for sears during the bikebug era was ted williams. anything manly from them had ted williams endorsement. boats tents rifles bikes and baseball equipment of course.

Yep! Ted Williams.....wanted a Ted Williams endorsed glove so badly.LOL! don-ohio

I have a Sears friction drive not unlike the bumble bike. 35mph? Unless you weigh below 100lbs I wouldn't count on it. I hesitate to call friction drives mopeds, instead I prefer 'cyclemoteur'.

I like scrubbers. They aren't fast but they are simple and almost never break down and if the do, you can still get home on the bike.

Motor+Pedals = Moped. They are mopeds. I'm gonna transfer my boy's tire scrubber onto a 26" suspensioned bike someday. It's on the really nice 20" Kawasaki bicycle.

don-ohio (:^)

---------------- LaZer ------------* /

UPDATE: I got the Bumbling Bike engine to spit and cough at me but no sustained running as of yet. I keep having issues with the cheap plastic rewind blowing up. The spring isn't the original an I have to keep making minor adjustments to the ends. I used some heat this time to will the metal to were I want it. Fingers crossed. I need some tips on Warbro tuning.

I would have liked to have seen Ted Williams on a Bike Bug.

Albert Hess /

A moped by definition is a bicycle with pedals and an engine.

A moped without pedals sucks.

So for the most part noone here gives the tiniest shit about your ignorance.

For 4+ years I commuted 14 miles a day on an original Aquabug Bike Bug engine.

The only service was an occasional spark plug and drive roller.

As far as power goes on a cool damp night it would top out at well over 40 mph with a passenger n the cross bar (380 pounds all up weight). Relieving the intake, transfer and exhaust ports along with planning the head and opening up the carb and changing out the jets helped.

So much for it being junk.

A properly adjusted friction drive absorbs less power than a belt or chain drive.

There is no shortage of high quality weed wacker motors, think Honda.

They are so reliable that the Coast Guard uses them on pumps they drop from helicopters to sinking boats .

Finally, outboard motor manufacturers never sell them on boats. They get sold to a 3rd party, like a boat shop that assembles and sells as complete boats.

You have a lot to learn about small engines, boy.

Last point. Solexes are big, fat, heavy, clunky, slow and unreliable French Junk (think Renault Dauphine). .

Albert Hess /

Maybe he is a minimalist?

Albert Hess /

DOT registered frame is not a moped. DOt does not know that.

Dude this post is 6 years old way to get riled up at old irrelevant shit

Also use flat view nobody knows who the hell you're talking to (edited)

Albert Hess /

With some minor mods I got mine to 40+ two up, on coo, damp evenings.

Albert Hess /

With some minor mods I got mine to 40+ two up, on cool, damp evenings.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Dude's really upset about the bike bug

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Dude's really upset about the bike bug

Maybe he's just upset because his riding season is about done .

As for Bike Bug , it's a pretty well designed German engineered unit .

Just in the last couple years has it been somewhat reintroduced here in the states .

Albert Hess /

My Bike Bug did well over 40, two up, intake, transfer and exhaust ports relieved, carb tweaked.

I had 2 of the original Bike Bug Engines. Both were is extremely good condition and very complete. I got one running. I wrote about it a long time ago on here. The one thing I mentioned was that inside the carb the Throttle Body was prohibited from opening all the way. I never got a chance to try it with this restriction removed. A guy saw me on my first test ride and made an offer I could not refuse.

They were a lot of fun while I had them.

Here is the one I got running. This is as bought. I added a seat of course and cleaned it up. The amazing part on this one was it had everything including the mirror for the kit. All on a period correct bike.

P10100012.JPG

Here is the other I got from the same guy. Again it was very complete and on a kind of rare bike. I sold the bike for more than I paid for both. This engine which again was very complete and original went with the other pictured above.

P1010001.JPG
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account