Bought a General 5 Star LE but it does not match the Wiki

Went to an auction last Saturday and bought a 1983 General 5 Star Limited Edition for my son. He turns 14 at the end of the month which means in Ohio that he will be able to drive it on the road.

Seems to be in really nice original condition, got it for $225.00.

I researched it on the M.A. Wiki before going to the auction, but the specs on the wiki do not match the moped. The main discrepancy I found is with the engine model. It is supposed to have an oil injection system but I cannot see you were it ever had one. But it does have the LE mag wheels and fairing. Strange.

We live wait out in the country surrounded by flat farm fields and flat country roads. Top speed will be a priority. He has been riding 50-100cc 2 stroke dirt bikes and 50-250cc 2 stroke sport atv's his whole life. So I know his first gripe will be "it's too slow". He will have a moped license, liability insurace card (not mandatory in OH) and full face helmet. The Sheriffs deputies are really lenient out here, they will just be happy he is not riding an atv, even though you can legally drive them on the roads out here with 2 tires hugging the shoulder. He will rarely, if ever drive it in town. He will mostly use it to just go to some friends houses 4 or 5 miles away on all back flat country roads. He weighs 115 pounds, 40-45 mph would be great.

From looking at the pics, what can you tell me about this moped?

Is that a good sized carb or a restricted one?

Any recommendations on a $100 pipe?

Approximately what sizes of jets to start with?

Change to open air cleaner or leave it alone?

If air cleaner change is advised, can you recommend one that will fit?

Which sprockets sizes?

In what order should I do the speed deristrictions? 1)pipe + jet, 2)sprockets, 3) cylinder + carb?

Thanks, neat site. Was a Tomos man myself back in the late 80's / early 90's. Sure would have been nice to have a site like this back then.

(edited)

Re: Bought a General 5 Star LE but it does not match the Wiki

Darrell Gabbard /

well it looks like a slap happy general decal moped. the good thing is that it has the V1 engine. the LE decal would of been on a PUCH. the red General should be on a TE.

Trevor "Scraps" Arms /

Anything with a Minarelli v1 is wonderful.

Lots of torque, nothing usually goes bad on the inside besides the stater plate/ leaf spring. Always start with a rebuild, specially if you're putting a little guy on there.

so basically if you want to make it faster, get a polini 47mm cylinder kit, Dellorto 16.16 SHA carb, 20mm intake, EV turbo racing pipe, and maybe play with the gearing a bit, or not. You'll get like 45-50 out of that setup.

Can't say about the jetting, depending on where you live it will be different then what anyone can recommend. if you do get the parts I suggested, i would start with a 70's range and see where that gets you.

Oh, and if you're looking for speed, take off the stock airbox and get a hiflow filter. hang on to that box though, might get a few bucks for it.

http://treatland.tv/

http://www.1977mopeds.com/ (edited)

very nice.

Mint. The Polini kit will speed it up. Add a MLM pipe with that and a Mikuni or a PHBG. With flat roads everywhere you can really gear it up for speed.

Honestly? That thing is hella nice and a lot of people here would trade you something much much faster if you'd be open to trades.

If he gets into mopeds, he'll regret not having it, but damn... you could trade for a kitted magnum or kick ass maxi.

Great bike.

Or build it up... you got it for so cheap it's not like it'd be unreasonable what you had in it by the time you were done.

i am very surprise that it didn't come with a c2 variated engine. its complete and hard to find in this condition. if lived closer i would try to buy or ask.. anyways.

Omg I love this moped

Man I want that thing.

holy fucking jackpot

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

^this. Looks great, have fun building it up!

Emil Kniemel /

love the fairing. i say keep it and find another one to mod.

Thanks guys, was not really looking for one this nice for him but the price was too good to pass up. I will try not to mutilate it. I hope he likes it.

that sprocket is hairy

Ya, it was kept out in a barn with a 1965 Allstate in equal condition and 2 Yamaha scooters. There was some cats running around the property so I am guessing that's where the hair come from. Heck those scooters sold for $65 a piece and the Allstate for $250. Scooters are not worth as much in Ohio because they are considered motorcycles. I live close to the Indiana border, probably should have bought them and resold them there.

Here was the Allstate.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/1916606/fp50.cgi (edited)

Darrell Gabbard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> well it looks like a slap happy general decal

> moped. the good thing is that it has the V1

> engine. the LE decal would of been on a PUCH. the

> red General should be on a TE.

No. It's a General 5 Star LTD. See page 17. It should have a V1 with oil injection. It's special.

LTD, Page 17

Darrell Gabbard /

it does not have the oil tank for the auto mix engine which means a custom paint job with added decals that don't match. so he still got a deal on the moped with a V1 engine.

What is under the right side cover? Anything at all?

beautiful.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

Hell yea it's WillD SWOOP Wrote:

> holy fucking jackpot

DOUBLE SIXES DOUBLE SIXES BOXCAR CITY

Silverfox Sullivan Wrote:

> What is under the right side cover? Anything at

> all?

Nothing, I cannot see any indication that anything was ever there. I will get a pic of it. It has all of the other LE accessories (wheels, fairing, decals) but the wrong engine. No decal on the tank at the fill indicating to mix the gas and oil either. The oil injection would have been nice, but the boy has been mixing his own gas / oil for years, no biggie.

This weekend I am going to dump the battery and refill with fresh electrolyte to see if it will come back alive. Dump / flush the fuel tank and petcock. Clean the carburetor and add a fine micron inline visible fuel filter.

Been sitting many years, will start it on some air cooled dino oil mixed at 16:1 to get everything well lubricated and then switch it over to Amsoil synthetic air cooled oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/interceptor-2-cycle-oil/?code=AITQT-EA

Would 50:1 be a good mix ratio for this engine on synthetic?

Is the bottom end of this engine ball / needle bearings or brass bushings?

Would this engine model (1983 Minarelli V1) have points or electronic ignition?

Josh Besecker /

needle bearing in the crank and points ignition.

Oil pump is just one more thing to fail.

Beautiful General~~~~

Yeti the Figg /

Definitely not an oil-injected model. The oil-injected V1's look like this https://mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3456136,3456149#msg-3456149

I'd put a 15:15 SHA Dellorto Carb, EV Racing Mamba exhaust, and 80cc Polini kit on there and blaaaaaaast.

Yeti the Figg Wrote:

> Definitely not an oil-injected model. The

> oil-injected V1's look like this

> https://mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3456136

> ,3456149#msg-3456149

>

> I'd put a 15:15 SHA Dellorto Carb, EV Racing Mamba

> exhaust, and 80cc Polini kit on there and

> blaaaaaaast.

Interesting easy cheap combination. Is the stock intake already 14mm or would he need this one for the 15:15 SHA Dellorto Carb?

http://www.1977mopeds.com/minarelli-v1-cimatti-intake-manifold.html

Does EV Racing Mamba exhaust also fit the stock cylinder or should I wait until I get the Polini kit to buy that exhaust?

http://www.1977mopeds.com/franco-morini-ev-racing-mamba-exhaust.html

Gear it high to take advantage of that low rpm power band?

I have spent a lot of time trying to pick out a pipe but am having difficulty trying to figure out which ones would fit this ped correctly. I am mainly concerned with it fitting the cylinder correctly and clearing the pedals.

Making the rear mount bracket is no problem. I work as an Industrial Electrician in a large manufacturing plants maintenance department on a night shift. I have an entire industrial maintenance department full of every possible metal fabrication machine I could ask for and nothing but time between answering calls for down equipment. Hence the reason I have time to be on this website!!!

When I look at Treats and 1977 Mopeds websites, I am not sure which filters on the left I should be selecting since this model is not listed.

I assume when the filter says "Minarelli" it is specifying the Minarelli moped frame more so than the engine. I have read references to the possibility that a Tomos pipe would also fit.

I am basically looking for a pipe that fits the frame correctly, in the $125 range and fits the stock cylinder with room to grow to an up sized cylinder.

Which filters should I select to fit this engine and clear the pedals?

The LTD General is the best because of the strong brakes and z pattern sprocket. I love mine

Ass Burgers Wrote:

> The LTD General is the best because of the strong

> brakes and z pattern sprocket. I love mine

> http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/OrangeRob

> in/6FC44399-9242-4F36-9EFE-640FA6AEFC9A-3298-00000

> 462E1187C3E.jpg

Wow that is sharp!!

What pipe is that?

Do you know what 4 bolt rear sprocket from other manufacturers fits these mag wheels since the standard 3 bolt from the spoke wheels obviously do not?

Tomos fits the 4 bolt z mags.

I don't know what you're talking about orange robin... the brakes on all my zmags suck (except the coaster brake on my sachs ;)

Very sexy general btw... really need to get some super bike bars myself

Here's a nice, affordable pipe that bolts right on, isn't too loud & adds some mph.

http://www.1977mopeds.com/minarelli-moped-ev-racing-exhaust.html

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account