Fun Fact About Vermont

So Alabama is a Bitch when it comes to registering mopeds and motorcycles especially when there is not a title to the vehicle. Snooping around the intraweb I came across this in a motorcycle forum:

"You just bought a legitimate motorcycle with no title or you've lost your title. You want to register (or sell) your motorcycle but you can't because you can't prove that you own it. We've probably all run into this problem in our lifetime.

Here's what you need to do...

http://dmv.vermont.gov/help#VehicleRegistration It even tells you that you DO NOT need to be a resident of VT to register a vehicle there. Strange but true.

You can register your bike thru the mail in VT. Print out the proper forms from the VT DMV website, fill them out and mail them in. It cost me $89 ($41 reg fee & $48 tax) to title and register a bike I bought in NY w/no title. This includes a VT license plate & a 1 year transferable registration. Your VT license plate and transferable registratgion takes about 10 days to arrive in your mail after you send the correct forms and check out to them.

How do I know all this? Because I just received my new VT plate and transferable registration in the mail today!

You can be sure that if you ever decide to sell your motorcycle without a title (or transferable registration), it's worth about 30-40% less and your pool of potential buyers drops by about 50%."

I went to the Vermont DMV website and found this:

"Does a person have to be a resident of Vermont in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?

No."

This is great news for me. Did anybody else know about this or have tried it themselves?

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Yup knew about it and am about to try. Found it on more than a couple forums and there were plenty of people that attested to its validity.

blarga flarga /

Go to Vermont DMV website, fill out form. Select mdc from vehicle list. No matter what you have on bill of sale for purchase price minimum taxable value is 500$. So with a one year registration you will need to write a check for total 51$. Use your social where it asks for Vermont id number. Include bill of sale with documents you mail. I had seller,myself, and a witness sign and date. When filling out the form, don't overlook that you need to sign and date the box at the very bottom of the form. I included 3 pictures: the first showing clearly vin plate, next shower half of bike with vin plate in view, then whole bike. I don't know if you need it to be notarized, mine wasn't. If something's wrong they will send it back and tell you what's wrong but only one problem at a time. Also, they won't cash your check until everything is good.

old news but worth reposting from time to time

a few of us have done it for motorcycles, tho luckily we don't need titles in your nearest east neighbor state

it's ludicrously easy. suprisingly so. like send em a few pictures maybe and some money and you get a plate in the mail, wherever you are.

florida has lotsa skeezy folks who'll get you titles for nominal fees

Sorry for bringing up old news, but it just made my day when I read about that. Even better that some of you guys have successfully tried it. I'll soon be riding legally!

Getting or giving(I've heard) a "creamy" in Vermont is totally legal.

when I bought my bike all I had was a bill of sale so I downloaded the paperwork from their website and 51.00 later I'm legal. all done through the mail, an insurance card from my state and off I go. perfectly legal.

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

Maine has some similar laws. Buddy just registered a madass clone in maine because nys dmv doesn't recognize it as street legal.

Stephanie Rose /

Yup I'm in the process of doing this

I've done this with success, but it cost me $81!

in VT:

you need not be a resident to register a vehicle

no title necessary if: the motorcycle/moped is 15+ years older and has a displacement under 300cc

fill out TD119 mail in with check and bill of sale, hazaa! legal plates, if you call in make sure you speak with an inmate it made my conversations more memorable

Gabby Zawacki /

I also heard this too and I'm glad to hear that it's true!

Buy it! Buy it right here, right now! Ready to purchase your plate? Please be sure that you have properly titled and registered the vehicle in your name. To purchase license plates, you'll need: •Your title number and vehicle identification number (VIN), which are on the vehicle registration card.

Julie the Wizard /

does this work without a bill of sale?

Stephanie Rose /

Julie Iaccarino Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> does this work without a bill of sale?

Nope sadly. You have to have the bill of sale. BUT If you know who the original owner is ( full name ) then you can just make up your own bill of sale and fake their signature. Then proceed with the Vermont process.

blarga flarga /

It doesn't work without a bill of sale, but come on man, just think a little. You don't have to send in the other registration, or tags, etc etc. Some wiggle room there.

Stephanie Rose /

You just need to know the name of the person who owned the title and make up your own bill of sale

Julie the Wizard /

Is there any way to found out who the VIN was last registered to? Bike was built from parts.

Stephanie Rose /

Yes you can send away and get a list of everyone who owned that moped previously. Title holder will be on there. All you do is fill out the form and send 75 to 3 bucks and they will send you the complete list. Only thing I don't know is where they do that in Oregon. Here in Florida we send it to Tallahassee .. Maybe look at Portland DMV website.

Stephanie Rose /

75 cents by the way lol I will ask around for you about where you would send for the info.

Julie the Wizard /

Thanks guys! Hoping to just get on the road soon. Haha. I'll be done with repairs before I know it.

Stephanie Rose /

Welcome!! Same here

blarga flarga /

Julie Iaccarino Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is there any way to found out who the VIN was last

> registered to? Bike was built from parts.

How long ago was it registered do you know? Most DMV's have moved to at least some semblence of computer management systems, and if it was more than 10 years ago chances are that it wasn't even put into the system. Not to mention that the system will purge the info after so long if it was. Just my .02.

Also, depending on your state you could be waiting for weeks bleeding into a couple of months waiting for that list.

Stephanie Rose /

Yeah it takes 4 weeks for Vermont to mail you the plate and tag usually.. that's the shitty part

Yes, this is what I am curious about. I have an '81 Honda Passport that I bought back in '85 or '86 from the original owner, and did not get a title for it. Since I was only going to use it on my parent's property that we camped on, I did not care at the time. Now, nearly 30 years later, I sure as hell cannot remember the seller's name, so I wonder if Vermont would go for a BOS with a made up seller's name?

Are there free VIN searches that I can try to pull up the PO? I never took off the PO's plate, could I look up a 30 YO plate?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Most, if not all DMV's, charge a fee for VIN lookups.

If the original title was cleaned from record then you should have no problem. You just need to figure out if that is the case. Also to my understanding (here at least) the state clears after 4 years, however the county may hold the record for much much longer.

Do you have to fill out both form (DMV copy) and ( customer copy ) on the Vermont form

DO I FILL OUT PART 6A LIKE THIS ?

PURCHASE PRICE $500

TAX CREDIT $0

NET TAXABLE COST $0

TAX(6%0 $30

bump

I've heard of people bringing in a Bill of Sale written on a napkin, so I think they're a bit lenient on that.

Thanks for bumping this. Just picked up a Maxi and need to get it titled.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account