Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Not exactly, the Vin# has never been registered, I bought from the 2nd owner, and I only have a scanned copy of the certificate of origin.

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

I'll register it here for $50 in my name for ya. It's easy

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Hi All - I sent in paperwork (Bill of Sale, VT-119, 3 pics of Bike/VIN) for my 1980 Puch Maxi Newport II 2 weeks back.

Yesterday I got a reply saying that the registration could not be completed and that I need to "provide verification that your motorcycle was manufactured for, or has been modified for highway use".

Obviously Puch Maxi's were designed to be driven on the road way, but I've pored through the owners manual and every other source I can think of and haven't been able to find a written confirmation that they are road legal.

On the picture of my VIN, on the VIN Plate, it clearly reads "This vehicle conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards in effect on the date of manufacture"

This picture was included in the initial application, so either they ignored the picture, or that text on the VIN plate isn't what they are looking for.

Further in the letter they returned to me they stated "please provide a letter from a Vermont inspection station affirming that it meets Vermont highway standards".

I live in Philly, and don't think i'm willing to drive ~6hrs to have this inspected in VT. I called the VT DMV this morning and told the gentleman about the notice that i'd received, that the bike clearly stated it was manufactured according to Federal standards on the VIN, and that I was aware of many other people who had the same exact bike registered in the state of VT. He pulled up my application and told me that according to the application, it needs to be inspected at a VT inspection station. I told him I live in Philly and asked if there is any other way around this and he said "NO". I called back multiple times throughout the day praying someone else would answer. I guess they only have one person on the payroll because it was damn Allen each and every time. I asked him again later about the text on the VIN and he said if the picture was already included they must be looking for something more, but that I can try to send it back with a note. I'm going to do that, although I think it's very unlikely to work. I'm wondering if anyone else has faced this issue and has resolved it without going to Vermont? I've seen at least 2 other people get similar feedback when digging through a motorcycle forum, but they never posted any type of resolution. Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated - or if anyone is aware of where there is some sort of Puch official statement that the bikes are road legal.

I'm desperately trying to avoid losing my whole summer of legal riding to mailing this back and forth to VT every couple of weeks, so any help would be yuuuuuge!

Best,

Michael

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

> Bill Clinten Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hi All - I sent in paperwork (Bill of Sale, VT-119, 3 pics of Bike/VIN)

> for my 1980 Puch Maxi Newport II 2 weeks back.

>

> Yesterday I got a reply saying that the registration could not be

> completed and that I need to "provide verification that your motorcycle

> was manufactured for, or has been modified for highway use".

>

> Obviously Puch Maxi's were designed to be driven on the road way, but

> I've pored through the owners manual and every other source I can think

> of and haven't been able to find a written confirmation that they are

> road legal.

>

> On the picture of my VIN, on the VIN Plate, it clearly reads "This

> vehicle conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety

> standards in effect on the date of manufacture"

>

> This picture was included in the initial application, so either they

> ignored the picture, or that text on the VIN plate isn't what they are

> looking for.

>

> Further in the letter they returned to me they stated "please provide a

> letter from a Vermont inspection station affirming that it meets

> Vermont highway standards".

>

> I live in Philly, and don't think i'm willing to drive ~6hrs to have

> this inspected in VT. I called the VT DMV this morning and told the

> gentleman about the notice that i'd received, that the bike clearly

> stated it was manufactured according to Federal standards on the VIN,

> and that I was aware of many other people who had the same exact bike

> registered in the state of VT. He pulled up my application and told me

> that according to the application, it needs to be inspected at a VT

> inspection station. I told him I live in Philly and asked if there is

> any other way around this and he said "NO". I called back multiple times

> throughout the day praying someone else would answer. I guess they only

> have one person on the payroll because it was damn Allen each and every

> time. I asked him again later about the text on the VIN and he said if

> the picture was already included they must be looking for something

> more, but that I can try to send it back with a note. I'm going to do

> that, although I think it's very unlikely to work. I'm wondering if

> anyone else has faced this issue and has resolved it without going to

> Vermont? I've seen at least 2 other people get similar feedback when

> digging through a motorcycle forum, but they never posted any type of

> resolution. Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated - or if

> anyone is aware of where there is some sort of Puch official statement

> that the bikes are road legal.

>

> I'm desperately trying to avoid losing my whole summer of legal riding

> to mailing this back and forth to VT every couple of weeks, so any help

> would be yuuuuuge!

>

> Best,

>

> Michael

what did you use for the body type and CCs on the registration application? should be MDC and 49 for CCs. If you put something else identifying it as a motorcycle instead of a motor-driven cycle or said 50 CCs they will treat them differently. their response to you suggests this may be the case. they referred to the bike as a motorcycle instead of a motor-driven cycle. also, if there are discrepancies between the bill of sale and the registration application, that might trigger them to ask for a verification.

if you look on the vermont dmv website, you would see the following: VIN Verifications Out-of-State

VIN verifications completed out-of-state are to be examined by motor vehicle officials or state level law enforcement officials, or by those personnel authorized by that state to perform VIN verifications. Military personnel may have the VIN verification completed by the Commanding Officer or Provost Marshal of the military base. VIN verifications performed out-of-state must be accompanied by a letter of identification of the agent on their department or agency's official letterhead and are subject to approval by the Vermont Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. (http://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-identification-number-vin#used-oos)

the way i read this, you could have your own local law enforcement or dmv inspect the vin to verify it and present a letter saying who they are and that they did it.

and also there is this:

Vehicles with discrepancies in documentation, or which do not conform to established standards, may be required to have a VIN verification performed under terms and conditions as prescribed by and at the discretion of the Vermont DMV Chief Inspector's office.

and this

All used motorcycles, 500 cc's or more, being

registered/titled in Vermont for the first time,

regardless of model year.

so i'm thinking something in your application didn't add up, like a simple typo (500cc instead of 50cc when it should really say 49cc) and using something other than MDC or something, and now they want to go through all this other stuff.

i would call them back and explain to them what it is - make sure you say it is a motor-driven cycle, and that it is 49cc. maybe they will be able to look up your application and verify if you filled it out wrong. if that is the case, then they would probably be ok with you sending them another one with everything corrected.

i just went through all this without any hiccups so there is definitely something wrong with your application. either that or they are just stupid. but i doubt that. good luck bro. (edited)

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Fill out the form correctly and send it back. Never had an issue and I've done 3 bikes through Vermont.

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Hi, thanks for the replies! I filled it out as MDC, 49CC so I don't think that's the issue. Also, they didn't mention anything about a VIN verification, they want it inspected to ensure it meets highway standards, I just checked and the BoS and Registration application match. I'll call again and hopefully get someone other than Alan. I just sent back the forms yesterday with a note mentioning that it is street legal, per the note on the VIN plate - kind of doubt that will work but we shall see.

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Only issue I've had was them fucking up my VIN on the registration. I had to get a vin check locally and send it back to them, but always works out. so easy. Everyone I know is "thinking about vermonting" their unregisterable bike and literally the ONLY hard part 99% of the time is getting in gear to actually send it in. sucks yours has been a hassle but:

Best advice : call them! if you get someone unwilling to help, call back later. but every time I've called theres someone at least willing to tell you whats up and you can actually talk through it with them and save some hassle

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

What they're asking just seems really odd. Providing them with a vin seems proof enough.

I registered a motorcycle (90cc Honda cub) thru vermont about a year ago and i didn't need to have the vin verified or have it safety inspected. I hope you figure out what's up.

There is no inspection procedure for mopeds in Pa outlined in chapter 175, so it can't even technically be inspected in Pa.

Any mechanic with a current Pa inspection license can verify the vin for you with a form MV-41, but i didn't need to do so with mine.

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Quick update - I called VT DMV a couple of more times today, Alan answered in the morning, but got a nice lady in the afternoon who was able to actually provide advice other than just read me the letter I had already received. I informed her that it's a 49cc MCD and that it was manufactured purely for street use, and that their was a statement on the VIN attesting to the fact that it was produced according to all Federal standards. She suggested to return the paper work to the DMV with a note explaining all of this, which i'd already done yesterday. Fingers crossed...

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Any updates on the registration debacle? Currently looking into this procedure for a couple of bikes and wondering if there are any new requirements. Thanks in advance!

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

kevin Smellaflange /

in live in north MA...

alot of companies have VT plates, in MA

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Yeah just keep trying. Only one time, recently, did they send my paperwork back because of an error on my part. I forgot to fill out the purchased from section.

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Word, that's not too shabby! Did either do you guys have to seek VIN verification / "letter of verification" from local law enforcement?

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

kevin Smellaflange /

my meyer's manx dune buggy got inspected by local cops i called...and my vin was on the tunnel...they said your set here....i took it to the pouty, cranky, dmv ...she said 264$ please

and my dune buggy is antique plated & gets my paddle board to the water just fine.

and they all lived happily ever after...the end

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

I’m also from Illinois and can foresee my DMV giving me issues. Did you have any problems?

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

I have registered several motorcycles in VT with never an issue.

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

I was just given an old moped with no title. I live in Illinois. If this Vermont registration works, do I get a Vermont Title? If I just get the registration card, can I take it to my local Illinois DMV and get an Illinois title? Thanks.

Re: Fun Fact About Vermont

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I don’t live in illinois but I don’t know any reason they wouldn’t. You do not get a “title” for bikes 25 years or older OR if you are not a vermont resident. However all you need is the “transferrable registration card” to TITLE AND REGISTER the bike in your own name.

The reason the word “transferrable” is so important is because the back of the card states that you are the legal owner, and to fill in the given info if the ownership has been transferred to someone else.

This little loophole is really funny, but I did just get my Mass plate for my 74’ vespa smallframe going with this method last week.

Very old thread too

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account