How to register & plate your motobecane in Ontario

Karen Oblenis /

Here are the steps that I had to take to register and get a plate for my mobylette cady in Ontario. Hopefully this will help ease the pain for someone else trying to get through this process at Service Ontario and will save you a lot of grief.

1. Have a bill of sale from previous owner which includes the following:

Name of seller; name of purchaser; price if any; any identification available from bike (serial number, motor ID number, ideally the VIN if available - Mine did not have a VIN plate anywhere on it which caused a lot of chaos). I also brought along with me pictures of the bike and the pictures of the numbers I was using as identifying features.

2. Complete a hand written declaration as follows:

I, John Doe, purchased a moped for $10 from Bill Smith as is. The moped was never registered to the best of our knowledge under the HTA and did not have a NVIS. It is defined as a moped under the HTA.

Serial Number: ____

Motor 49CC # ____

Made in 1975 - Motobecane Cady

Colour Yellow - Single Seat

Single Speed

Has pedals

Sign it including your Drivers Licence Number & Date

3. Also, they should have you complete a Self Declaration of Ownership Form # SR-LV-065 09-05 available from ServiceOntario.

My total cost was $53.55 for a two year plate and HST.

Regards

Karen

Re: How to register & plate your motobecane in Ontario

John Joedicke /

Excellent!

put it in the wiki

Karen Oblenis /

sorry don't know how to post in wiki but feel free to do it if you know how?? I thought wiki was only for moderators of the site to add things.

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Did you have to get your ped certified(safety standard certificate)? I did, but I don't know if it was legally required.

Or don't register at all..

John Joedicke /

Paul no safety cert needed for mopeds in Ontario. Check the ministries web page.

Karen Oblenis /

sorry, have been offline,

Yes John is correct, no safety was required.

Darren Weatherall /

Thanks for posting this, it was a huge help.

I used this exact procedure this afternoon and got my plate from the MOT without issue.

You might get asked for an affidavit of ownership, but you can write that yourself and pay $20 to get a notary to sign it if required.

The girl at the counter had never issued a moped plate, so I got by just fine with my bill of sale alone.

Hi Karen, Sorry to resurrect an old thread and hopefully you see this!

I have a 49cc motorized bicycle I'd like to register and get insurance for, it sounds like following your process, I'd be able to do it. I'm just confused as to the license aspect of it. It requires an M1 license? How do you obtain that in this situation?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account