Ketchup and Mustard Race Build Thread

Heyyyyyy everyone. Recently, Ryan and I decided to try and build bikes for moped races, and Tyler put this bike up for sale this summer, so I hopped right on it. It was in pretty decent shape and kinda running, but I figured what better way to go about racing your first high end Moby than to take a race bike fully apart and try to put it back together? Apologies if I get any of the model or parts info incorrect.

So to start, this bike was originally a french race bike built by a racer with the last name Rossifumy, and was imported at some time. On Garage, it's I guess one of the old 1977 SF bikes? Some of the west coast people might be able to chime in with some more detailed info on that. I remember first seeing this bike when the Polini cup was still going, and I think 77 built that strange french bike with a chopped up e50 on it.

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/Ketchup+and+Mustard

Tyler got it in Atlanta, and did a great job of cleaning everything up, re-nik'ing the cylinder, and getting the proper rear wheel on it, adding some pretty essential race parts, etc. As I got it from Atlanta this summer, it looked like this:

IMG_3936.JPG

I guess this is a frame up build? Maybe not, but hopefully you guys find this shit cool. What's on it already:

Ninja Carte Noire

Bidalot G1 cylinder "Reissue of G1 High Engine Type 6 transfers, G1 Champion of France in 1994, 1995, 1996."

Polini cases

JD racing rear sprocket

Malossi Multivar

Motoplat red thing cdi

JD racing spring assembly

Peugeot RCX pulley

This past weekend I finally got around to disassembling and going through everything so that I could prep it for paint and rebuilding. I invited Ryan over since he's far more knowledgeable in the art of Motobecane. Here's a picture of him gettin busy with my sw8 tire pump. "Don't pump it too hard," I said, but he did anyways.

IMG_4088.JPG

The plan so far is going to be to (in no particular order):

- clean up fairings/paint

- new seat

- powdercoat wheels and frame

- all new hardware

- make an intake

- replace/correct pulley spacing

- add cool electrical bits (tach/suicide/ general rewiring)

- get the frame ready for an eventual LC kit

- prep for potential track requirements, aka catch can, safety wirings, bumpers

- fork rebuild

I'm a pretty big dude, so I'm toying with the idea of making adjustable peg/seat geometry, but that's not something I've actually sat down and thought out at this point, so for now, the body fairing will stay the same.

There are a ton of cool motobecane race build threads out there already, so I'll be pretty much referring off of their work to finish this. This frame is already reinforced, so Calico gets a welding break for this bike... Plus there's plenty of other moped stuff coming down the pipeline that's he's fitting in to his busy schedule.

IMG_4049.JPG

As it sits today, everything is off the frame except the suspension and the wheels, and I'll update as I start rebuilding the engine.

Re: Ketchup and Mustard Race Build Thread

THose fries look dank! I also love the McDonalds theme!

Checkers fries or GTFO

Ohhhhh forgot... polini cases and vforce 3s

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

How fast do those go?

When I got it all of the cool stuff had been broken or stripped off. Not pointing any fingers dan. It was geared like a puch which was pretty dumb. Kit was seized and needed to be replaced So i sent it off to have it re-coated and run a polini 70 on it for awhile while I waited for the kit to come back. I painted it because it was in new hands and I didn't want a million people telling me they knew who's bike that use to be because facts are it was on loan from atlanta.

Glad you have it now and will show it much love. I kinda fell off awhile with it and moved into racing the xr100 stuff and would have let it sit forever.

Soooooo cool!

@tyler I was hoping you would come post that up ;P

You'll have to send me some more stickers and things so that your stamp will will still be on it. I'm gonna tape off the ROSSIFUMY stickers so they'll still be on the tail.

As for paint, it's gonna be black matte powder probably with light blue lacquer fairings. Haven't decided which will be what color. Maybe I'll do a straw poll and let the forum decide the combination

Brandon weiss Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How fast do those go?

55/60ish with pretty amazing launch. Depends on gearing. These make a ton of power for 50cc

I've ridden a 50 cc AC polini w port Moby that is pretty ridiculously fast.

Sorry, I had to post the McHonda.

image.jpg

everybody in the southeast dragged their feet when I wanted to build a race bike so I turned my race bike back into a street bike. oh well, such is life.

this bike also had a tillotson on it when it came from Belgium. Who knows where that is today

Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

>

> this bike also had a tillotson on it when it came

> from Belgium. Who knows where that is today

South of the Netherlands, north of France.

Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> everybody in the southeast dragged their feet when

> I wanted to build a race bike so I turned my race

> bike back into a street bike. oh well, such is

> life.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not to late to revert your derbi. Sorry we got held up on ours! We are pumpin hard for 2017(see reference pic)

Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > this bike also had a tillotson on it when it

> came

> > from Belgium. Who knows where that is today

>

> South of the Netherlands, north of France.

Story checks out

I think a good race bike needs to be able to take a lot of falls and should ideally be low to the ground so falling hurts less.

besides that, it'd be good to have a gas tank that's bolted on and doesn't spill, that's more of a courtesy to the track owners and other racers.

Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> everybody in the southeast dragged their feet when

> I wanted to build a race bike so I turned my race

> bike back into a street bike. oh well, such is

> life.

I'm getting my hustle on. I just ordered a ton of random shit for the bike, it should be back together and running in the next couple weeks. I think the only lame thing left to do is to source some bendy pipe for the intake.

I took everything off the bike, it's down to a roller. I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home from work. I'm working on like 7 bikes simultaneously so remembering to take pictures is kind of a pain in the dick.

Born to be WillD Wrote:

> I think a good race bike needs to be able to take

> a lot of falls and should ideally be low to the

> ground so falling hurts less.

>

> besides that, it'd be good to have a gas tank

> that's bolted on and doesn't spill, that's more of

> a courtesy to the track owners and other racers.

Yeah, you're definitely going to spill. I'm going to get some shit to make rolling bumpers for it.

How does everyone handle the spilling gas tank? Valved gas caps?

Ryan M© Wrote:

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -----

> > Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > >

> > > this bike also had a tillotson on it when it

> > came

> > > from Belgium. Who knows where that is today

> >

> > South of the Netherlands, north of France.

>

> Story checks out

dank

Fun fact the seat pad was made from a computer mouse pad :)

What ever happened to this?

> BLK KWANZAA Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Fun fact the seat pad was made from a computer mouse pad :)

I knew I was missing my red mouse pad....WTF!!!!!!!!

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> What ever happened to this?

that's what I'm saying

I'm dubbin it

Dubbin It.jpg

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

iirc 77 had this one and another one covered in 77 packing tape at the polini cup and neither were performers. i often wonder whatever happened to them, it's cool someone was putting love into one of them a year ago or so.

Mikey Antonakakis /

My crusty Motron winter project has an unintentional ketchup and mustard theme... Originally yellow, some previous owner tried to paint it red, but half of the ketchup has flaked off. I might try to carefully scrape off the ketchup to get it back to pure mustard rather than stripping it clean. (edited)

IMG_20180111_152117.jpg

Tommy Turbo any further progress? Would love to see you out a race this year! I am hoping to make West, Midwest and maybe East.

90BE2516-312F-400D-87B8-9969A0B1CD27.jpeg

Welp....here we go! Just picked up the Ketchup and Mustard bike from Tommy. I’m going to finish building this relic for a club race bike. I am going to try and get this thing done by summer.

I think I am going to take it back to its OG color scheme and get it as close to what it was when Fred got it from Belgium.

Super stoked to get this thing back to what it use to be! (edited)

I wanna see pics of the clutch pulley. How tf does the sprocket mount to it? Does the pedal shaft have bearings in it?

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> I wanna see pics of the clutch pulley. How tf does the sprocket mount to

> it? Does the pedal shaft have bearings in it?

You got it. And yes it does have some bearings in it. I can’t remember but I was drunk when I was messing with it last night. I am going to document all the randomness of this bike the best I can. (edited)

EE1766E5-17BE-4BE5-BEE8-B70DD2B2F92C.jpeg
D98E842F-51EB-46B8-A35A-4B5797D168CD.jpeg
7EBAA075-EACB-40D8-B43D-B72B67F4F192.jpeg

I’m curios how to get the clutch bell off.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account