Heyyyyyy everyone. Recently, Ryan and I decided to try and build bikes for moped races, and Tyler put this bike up for sale this summer, so I hopped right on it. It was in pretty decent shape and kinda running, but I figured what better way to go about racing your first high end Moby than to take a race bike fully apart and try to put it back together? Apologies if I get any of the model or parts info incorrect.
So to start, this bike was originally a french race bike built by a racer with the last name Rossifumy, and was imported at some time. On Garage, it's I guess one of the old 1977 SF bikes? Some of the west coast people might be able to chime in with some more detailed info on that. I remember first seeing this bike when the Polini cup was still going, and I think 77 built that strange french bike with a chopped up e50 on it.
Tyler got it in Atlanta, and did a great job of cleaning everything up, re-nik'ing the cylinder, and getting the proper rear wheel on it, adding some pretty essential race parts, etc. As I got it from Atlanta this summer, it looked like this:
I guess this is a frame up build? Maybe not, but hopefully you guys find this shit cool. What's on it already:
Ninja Carte Noire
Bidalot G1 cylinder "Reissue of G1 High Engine Type 6 transfers, G1 Champion of France in 1994, 1995, 1996."
JD racing rear sprocket
Motoplat red thing cdi
JD racing spring assembly
Peugeot RCX pulley
This past weekend I finally got around to disassembling and going through everything so that I could prep it for paint and rebuilding. I invited Ryan over since he's far more knowledgeable in the art of Motobecane. Here's a picture of him gettin busy with my sw8 tire pump. "Don't pump it too hard," I said, but he did anyways.
The plan so far is going to be to (in no particular order):
- clean up fairings/paint
- new seat
- powdercoat wheels and frame
- all new hardware
- make an intake
- replace/correct pulley spacing
- add cool electrical bits (tach/suicide/ general rewiring)
- get the frame ready for an eventual LC kit
- prep for potential track requirements, aka catch can, safety wirings, bumpers
- fork rebuild
I'm a pretty big dude, so I'm toying with the idea of making adjustable peg/seat geometry, but that's not something I've actually sat down and thought out at this point, so for now, the body fairing will stay the same.
There are a ton of cool motobecane race build threads out there already, so I'll be pretty much referring off of their work to finish this. This frame is already reinforced, so Calico gets a welding break for this bike... Plus there's plenty of other moped stuff coming down the pipeline that's he's fitting in to his busy schedule.
As it sits today, everything is off the frame except the suspension and the wheels, and I'll update as I start rebuilding the engine.