Re: Is it riding weather in your neighborhood ?

Overpriced Parts /

Yeah Robert it was beautiful out here today too @/68° F

AA33E45A-8704-4D6E-A2C6-5227B30831BB.jpeg

and not a cloud in the sky

B704FA53-80C7-4B46-92BF-DB14DA9F3DEC.jpeg

But I had to take a bigger and faster bike to keep away from the huge 4000 pound German, Japanese SUVs, and all the Amazon delivery trucks, there was a bit of a breeze but on the 45-55mph state routes the traffic was abnormally light, The tree foliage colors were almost perfect and my trusty Gila mag XK was cruising in the low 50s mph with only 3/4 throttle

063D63C0-8914-41F8-BDCA-F319EFE88A5F.jpeg

Josiah Radebaugh /

Oh boy, temperature has dropped fast! I woke up to 35* F the other day... Takes ages for my bike to warm up, 20-5 min or so... Although, it is Ohio so I'm sure it'll jump back up a good 20 degrees making for a good ride. I want to do at least 100 miles before the cold really sets in.

@Alex at the rate it's taking our pipes to get here from that sorting center in Italy.... I've got way more work to do on my fall ripper/daily build. That treats order better hurry up! As long as there isn't snow on the ground (or salt) I will ride, just have to find some good gloves...

Robert Linhares /

Ryan, if you want to see pictures of this area, try www,ravies.com. on the internet.

That will take you to the real estate website of William Raveis. The postings start at $10,000,000.00 but there are many pages where "more affordable" properties are offered. HA!

Just so you know, the blue blood snobs in this area talk this this:

Houses are "not for sale". Properties are "offered for viewing".

A "property" with a "listing price" of say $3,500,000.00 is referred to as "three point five".

I live in Fairfield, Connecticut which is 60 miles North of New York City. It is the closest suburb with "affordable" housing. A train takes 70 to 90 minutes for a commute into Grand Central Terminal.

Communities closer to NYC are more expensive. Start with Southport, then Westport, then Greenwich. Gotta sell a lot of mopeds to afford a "property" there.

ANY WEATHER IS MOPED RIDING WEATHER IF ITS NOT SNOW AND ICE ON THE GROUND!!!

> Mark Barney Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ANY WEATHER IS MOPED RIDING WEATHER IF ITS NOT SNOW AND ICE ON THE

> GROUND!!!

Stop yelling . Everyone knows which weather they 'prefer' to ride in . Whether or not the weather cooperates is the question . ;)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Robert Linhares Wrote:

> Communities closer to NYC are more expensive. Start with Southport, then

> Westport, then Greenwich. Gotta sell a lot of mopeds to afford a

> "property" there.

Yeesh, even fairfield is starting to get pricey. I grew up in the Waterbury area and even that far up I knew people commuting into the city. Quite upsetting to know my rent in Bushwick is the equivalent of a mortgage payment outside the city...

Tomorrow may be it for me supposed to get to 65-70, may ride to work one last time, all the bikes are inside but one. This "warming up" thing interests me, when I would ride when it was colder, usually not less than 40 or so, I would set the choke except on the Moby maybe just give it a pull on start up, but you can't just hold it on, well you could...but I never did, the Honda would let idle on choke for a min maybe, otherwise, once running just take off, never had a ride-ability issue doing this, granted stock set-ups, maybe bigger carbs and pipes need a warm up period?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> maybe bigger carbs and pipes need a warm up period?

More likely the rider needs the warm up . LOL

Josiah Radebaugh /

I let my bikes warm up regardless. I let them warm up to about "Ow that hurts"(edited)

Robert Linhares /

Roffman: has anyone ever mentioned you look a lot like Frank Zappa?

Overpriced Parts /

> Robert Linhares Wrote:

> Roffman: has anyone ever mentioned you look a lot like Frank Zappa?

Yep!

Ohio's still great! 70+ tomorrow.

It is good weather but it is cooling off.

Was beautiful today, about 65, took my last ride of the season, ran out of gas, got home on reserve, as good a time as any to bring the last ride up the stairs for the season. :/ But it was a great day and ride.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Was beautiful today, about 65, took my last ride of the season, ran out

> of gas, got home on reserve, as good a time as any to bring the last

> ride up the stairs for the season. :/ But it was a great day and ride.

That sounds TOO final,Stephen. Moped riding is best when spontaneous. Keep the faith!

It is, but our weather changes dramatically, very quickly, so rather than mix and store another 5 gallons of pre-mix I called it for this year. Plus, I had the motivation to carry the machine up the steps, so I went for it! :) (about 3/4 flight) The weight is not the issue, but the awkwardness of side stepping up the stars with a Hobbit in ones arms...a balance thing. I'm not 25 anymore!

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> I let my bikes warm up regardless. I let them warm up to about "Ow that

> hurts"

Why? Not like a 4 stroke where oil needs a few seconds to circulate come to temp, if she's running she's ready, in cold weather I gave things about a minute, for the metal to get some heat in it, but often did not and never blew one up. Maybe if you have a really long custom intake carb icing could happen, think air-cooled VW bug in -15 F, seen that plenty, made a homemade cure though, ped intakes are short and the heat moves fast, even when cold. Not hating on 'ya, just curious.(edited)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> It is, but our weather changes dramatically, very quickly, so rather

> than mix and store another 5 gallons of pre-mix I called it for this

> year. Plus, I had the motivation to carry the machine up the steps, so I

> went for it! :) (about 3/4 flight) The weight is not the issue, but the

> awkwardness of side stepping up the stars with a Hobbit in ones arms...a

> balance thing. I'm not 25 anymore!

Too bad you have to go thru all that. Before I got the storage building, I used to hate just rolling the peds up 3 steps out of the basement door, so I feel your pain.

Thanks, I have lived here at leas 18 yrs and in the last 2 this has become an issue, but not an insurmountable one, one of the reasons I sold my beloved Moby was it was to awkward to balance, I could not do this with a Sebring, I used to have one. My job is physical, so I have the strength to lift it off the ground, but to balance side stepping up the stairs makes me nervous, if I were to slip and fall the bike and I would end up in a heap at the foot of the stairs. :/ I have excellent insurance, but would rather never use it! :) A house would be cool, but then there is so much more to pay for, tax, utilities etc, you get tax benefits too, and a GARAGE, but if your fridge or furnace burns out you have to buy anew one, I make a phone call and get a new one, I'm within 10 miles, more like 7 from 99% of everything I could need, my life is ok, when I can't carry them I should not have them, the no-peds are much easier to handle on the stairs, as is the Motobecane "7". I'm not wealthy, but I'm very comfortable here, I have designed a ramp on paper, that when the time comes I will build. Necessity is the mother of invention, as it is, I'm impressed with my 52yo self, I held both wheels off the ground walking sideways up the stairs.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Thanks, I have lived here at leas 18 yrs and in the last 2 this has

> become an issue, but not an insurmountable one, one of the reasons I

> sold my beloved Moby was it was to awkward to balance, I could not do

> this with a Sebring, I used to have one. My job is physical, so I have

> the strength to lift it off the ground, but to balance side stepping up

> the stairs makes me nervous, if I were to slip and fall the bike and I

> would end up in a heap at the foot of the stairs. :/ I have excellent

> insurance, but would rather never use it! :) A house would be cool, but

> then there is so much more to pay for, tax, utilities etc, you get tax

> benefits too, and a GARAGE, but if your fridge or furnace burns out you

> have to buy anew one, I make a phone call and get a new one, I'm within

> 10 miles, more like 7 from 99% of everything I could need, my life is

> ok, when I can't carry them I should not have them, the no-peds are much

> easier to handle on the stairs, as is the Motobecane "7". I'm not

> wealthy, but I'm very comfortable here, I have designed a ramp on paper,

> that when the time comes I will build. Necessity is the mother of

> invention, as it is, I'm impressed with my 52yo self, I held both wheels

> off the ground walking sideways up the stairs.

Yeah, Sebrings are heavy. Especially mine with tied on backpack and tool bag and storage comp't on rack. Not to mention the large windshields. Now at 67 yrs. old I use a ramp to put them up one step into the building.

Oh,I can lift them, but WHY? LOL!(edited)

Lifting them is not the issue, crab walking up a set of stairs with it IS. I can still do it! Happy with myself. :) I found a gr

arage to rent in my city, but it is a double in a sketchy apt complex, which means it would be shared, I'm not comfortable with that for my bikes, my beater truck, sure, no one can drive stick anymore, but not for my bikes, I'll pass and stay as tough as a 52 yo can. I'm in for the winter. :)

Currently , 9:36 PM , it's 62° outside under a clear sky and our low tonight is forecast to go all the way down to 59° . ;)

It was about 80° earlier today .

Tomorrow about the same . I'll just have to ride . :D

^ lucky you!

Overpriced Parts /

Low 70s to mid 70s at day and 50s at night is my kind of weather I can have this weather all year round,

But In the sun it felt a lot hotter

BAD9B604-D713-48C5-BC41-2F0A94A8405A.jpeg

At The Beach marina area today it was beautiful almost like mid sumner so enjoying it while I can,

90A88627-2ED8-47E2-AAB1-E491ED8B0F53.jpeg
8C495400-E9BA-4F1B-94AB-9E2739143DD6.jpeg

Tomorrow’s/Monday is going to be OK too,

I don’t mind the cold I just don’t like snow or a lot of wet weather

I think we might get the last of the 80s this coming week so yea I'll be riding.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account