Re: Is it riding weather in your neighborhood ?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Damn...was just watching the plows here... :)

Yeah, I heard about that arctic blast about to put you into zero nighttime temps. Sorry.

At least it'll kill a lot of nasty germs up there and bugs.

It does a good # on the bugs, when I was in Florida as a little kid I remember seeing some dragon flies you would need a .22 to bring down....gross! At leas the sun is out, 23 above for now.

That's good. We have lizards that eat bugs, but soon the biting midges will start. They weren't as bad last year, but they are nasty. We call em `no see ums'. They can pass thru a normal screen.

We get those too, but only if you are out in the woods.

I wish! If at an outdoor restaurant you may see fans placed near the tables because they are poor flyers. They must be all beak because they bring the blood and they are teeny.

I've heard of tiny `black flies' up North. Is that the same thing as you have?

Not sure, we have "horse flies" which will bite and it hurts like crazy, not seen one in a while though, the no see-ums are tiny, why the fan helps, they are light. They will bring up blood and it also itches like crazy, worse than our state bird, the mosquito. The city's are doing a hell of a job spraying for them though, but you really notice it when you get in to outlying area's. Only dealt with no-see 'ums when camping.

Horse flies are bigger than black flies .

This from Google :

Horse flies are strong, fast fliers that feed on the blood of livestock and other animals. ... Like the adults, stable fly larvae are nearly identical to the larvae of house flies. BLACK FLIES (Simuliidae) Adult black flies are small, no more than 1/8-inch long with broad wings and a humpbacked appearance.

I recall camping one fall in the U.P. and the black flies were bad . Any uncovered skin was a magnet and fresh meat for extremely hungry critters . There were places we visited that were real bad , to the point of being attacked as soon as we got out of the truck .

I'm not sure if "horse fly" is a scientific name or not, but when they are not flying the wings look like a triangle on their back, a brown color. see one smack it, 'cuz if it bites you,you are going to know all about it.

Horse fly :

Black fly :

None of the above, these have solid color wings, and folded in a literal triangle shape.

Nope still ride tho

I love thos forum lol. We never know where one topic will take us.

If you want to find out what the bite feels like drop by this summer and i feel either of thesevwill share a few horse flies with you ...we have been plagued with buffalo nats the last few summers also

20150816_182655.jpg

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> None of the above, these have solid color wings, and folded in a literal

> triangle shape.

Those are deer flies. They stay in shady paths,but if you brush the foliage they will light out for you even into the sunshine. About the size of the small housefly.

Did a country club swimming pool when I was young. Had to hand place the concrete over the existing old pool. Horseflies,the big ones pictured, moved in and trowels and floats were nailing hundreds of them all day. Miserable down in that hole. LOL!

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> If you want to find out what the bite feels like drop by this summer and

> i feel either of thesevwill share a few horse flies with you ...we have

> been plagued with buffalo nats the last few summers also

Nice looking Paint . :)

> P D Wrote:

> > Pops Peds Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > If you want to find out what the bite feels like drop by this summer

> and

>

> > i feel either of thesevwill share a few horse flies with you ...we

> have

>

> > been plagued with buffalo nats the last few summers also

>

> Nice looking Paint . :)

Thanks ....that my "mow-pet..started out just a one horse and only been able to get 3 more out of her so far..might need to put her on a dyno and try for 4..lol

Ha . Dyno . LOL

When I was a teen , I had a beautiful cross : American Saddle Bred and Thoroughbred .

A touch over 16 hands . Liver chestnut with white socks and a diamond on his forehead . Golden mane and tale .

He was gelded , sorry to say . Otherwise , I'm sure he'd have 'dynoed' out some nice stock .

Even at that , he was a one man horse .

She is a good horse .has missouri foxtrotter and tennesse walker in her and very smooth gaited.i have had gkids ride her by themselves as young as 3 years old and had an 86 year old guy ride her on a trail ride a few years ago...that app in the back is a total diffrrent story..he will try you out when you get on so you might as well get ready to get throwed or throw the spurs to him and let him know who is boss..can't ask for a better horse once you get his attention..(edited)

Seems there's as many horsanalities as personalities . Keeps things interesting .

Back then , I'd green break horses for the fun of it .

Haven't been on one in way too many years .

Maybe when I win the lotto and buy one of those Kentucky bluegrass 'farms' . :)

Good looking indeed. She much looks like my spotted Tennessee I had while living in KY. She was a large, stunning mare, 16-1, long legged and powerful. I had named her Zipporah, after Moses’s Ethiopian wife. I miss her.

She is a tad over 14 hands..i like them lower ..easier to get on and the app works better short because it's shorter trip to the ground if he wins the buckin contest..

26F Snowed last night. I have plenty of time to finish the Shifty install on my VIP.

Unbelievable here...………...89 degrees yesterday before the cool front last night. 54 and rainy outside now,but still pedable.

4 here.... :/ at least it's above 0, and the sun is out. It's about this time of year that I'm truly "over" winter....but our summers and fall are awesome, and sometimes we get a spring! :D

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> 4 here.... :/ at least it's above 0, and the sun is out. It's about this

> time of year that I'm truly "over" winter....but our summers and fall

> are awesome, and sometimes we get a spring! :D

I hope you get spring. You guys deserve some global warming love.

Me too, last year was weird, 40ish and gray all April and most of may, jumped right to 70's and 80's in June.

fuck no i am not riding shit right nw

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account