Re: onyx electric moped

> Chris . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> they do look really nice, i wonder how they perform if you get caught in

> a downpour while riding or if it sits out in the rain all day while

> you're at work?

Well,yer gonna get a dirty STRIPE up yer back and God knows what from the front tire.

No fenders......who's the genius that came up with that? LOL!

Don't think the shock mounts look too strong either. Make it stronger, and with fenders, with a 100 mile range. Until then, I'm with Ken.

don-ohio

15282558074718478708716706733893.jpg

This is the killer !! Put in a 30 mph chip ( on order ) .the pothole that this can falling to and hurt you is on the big island. This is my idea of a good electric time. Not that thing u r trying to sell us.

I really kind of dig the kromag styled one.

If you havent ridden an e-bike before - they are really fun.

I'm super into them! We have a ways to go, but this is how we get there. By pushing the balance of style, performance, affordability and feasibility. I think this bike is juggling that the best at the moment.

I'm not buying a bike that is electric with a finite amount of usable power so that I can light my hair on fire running down inner city roads wide open and then cry like a toddler when it runs out. You buy it if you have a route or possible routes that lay well within the theoretical range, and then you can blast and have fun while still getting where you want to go. Or like a sensible person you don't burn the tires off because you may possibly need to get somewhere again later that day.

This is the argument of the same people that bitch about a Tesla not getting them across the state for weekend trips. It's not what it was designed for and nobody pumped rainbows into your ass trying to make it seem possible.

There was another impassioned electric moped post about a year ago touting another "amazing" moped and how it's going to change the world. Just preorder and lay some cash on us. Like i posted , e bikes are here but the great ebikes have great technology. This one doesn't. Going 60 mph on a 1970 s moped is one thing. 60 on a Chinese pos is another level of foolishness. When I was in the Netherlands last year I stopped by a shop specializing in e bikes in north Holland across from Amsterdam. He had some pretty nice stuff using solid designs and as I recall a gates motor . The bike I posted is an Enduro mountain bike made by commensal. Shimano motor weight perfectly organized. Take a look at their website if you want to see technology. Yea it's a mountain tain bike but it will give u a taste of what can be done.

Screenshot_20180606-171300.png

Check this out !

I would love a bike like this!

Everyone is talking about "well I need something to travel long distance on/get out of town ect"

I know all of you have a few different bikes for all different types of riding, why would you expect this bike to fill all of the criteria when you dont expect one of your gas powered bikes to do that?

I'd use a bike like this for quick errands and to get to work, wouldnt fill all rolls but it would work great for a lot of my daily riding

Overpriced Parts /

> Toledo Riot Wrote:

> I would love a bike like this!

>

> Everyone is talking about "well I need something to travel long distance

> on/get out of town ect"

>

> I know all of you have a few different bikes for all different types of

> riding, why would you expect this bike to fill all of the criteria when

> you dont expect one of your gas powered bikes to do that?

>

As far as criteria there is stock mopeds, stock modded, street kitted and full race bikes.

It Don’t matter what the type of riding is, for me the criteria for any moped that it stays running for a quite awhile and can be fueled up in a minute or two to go some more if needed

Except maybe for Sprint/drag race bike but thats where a electric bike would win that race that’s for sure,

Electric moped could probably win a short few lap moped road race too.

>

I don’t have any and I don’t know anybody who’s gas powered moped/moped build shuts off after a few minutes-a hr of riding and can’t be ridden again for several hrs unless it’s in Need of repair

The differences in a moped build is style, power, speed, handling, comfort and mpg but I found out in my Kitted bikes that if I go as slow as a stock bike the mpg is not bad and close to a stock moped mpg but that’s hard to do so I don’t ha ha ,

So a kitted bike (especially reed type kits) if done right could pretty much do it all.

It just seems like with electric bikes and all the different models they’re coming out with lately is is the faster they go with more power the less the range, the slower they go with less power the better the range.

Maybe I’m just selfish/greedy, I want it all, max power/speed and max range at the same time and pretty sure the next few years they’ll come out a bike that does all that!

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Rob Rob Wrote:

> It's because Tim didn't put things like that on it that he was able to

> get the price so low. Look at how much more similar bikes go for, and

> compare the two.

So, thankfully he'll be able to make his margin and users will still have to purchase fenders elsewhere for additional cost anyway.

No Fenders is whack on any production bike. The cost of a fender, especially one that's based off mounting to a moped fork, is minimal in batch quantities

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> Maybe I’m just selfish/greedy, I want it all, max power/speed and max

> range at the same time and pretty sure the next few years they’ll come

> out a bike that does all that!

This is where H2 comes into play. Suzuki is already shipping H2 scooters. You get all the benefits of an electric motor, the convenience of ICE, and the exhaust is H2O.

This is an older photo from ~2011.

fuel-cell-1.jpg

They have a Moto too, but right now it's a goofy looking prototype.

crosscage.tif.860x508_q85_box-042963612_crop_detail.jpg

I very regularly toy with the electric idea. then I spend an hour looking at available parts, get discouraged by the price and start searching used e-bikes on craigslist, get discouraged by the price and inevitably forget about it until the next time someone brings it up. repeat.

also the only really reliable source of H2 at the moment is solar powered electrolysis (if displacing power for electric, then no real benefit) and methane reforming, which emits almost as much as just burning natural gas.

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> also the only really reliable source of H2 at the moment is solar

> powered electrolysis (if displacing power for electric, then no real

> benefit) and methane reforming, which emits almost as much as just

> burning natural gas.

A nuclear powered battery would be an option though there’s not too much of 238 left and it only makes like 125 W but if you could have a nuclear powered battery generate power to charge your bike’s battery while it’s sitting parked it could pretty much perpetuate for several years though I don’t think it’s very safe ‘

Will, that's a case of what's called bad thinking. Now you probably read that feldercarb somewhere, and thought well that makes sense, but does it really? No, and here's why.

What you are employing is the current method for the production of H2 to meet the current market for H2, and trying to apply it to an H2 economy. Well thats just not even practical when you have millions of vehicles on the road, so it's a totally pointless way to develop a solution. This sort of thing is only thought of by the folks that are opponents of H2 who like to make ridiculous conclusions about why it's not a viable solution. Those folks are either idiots, or evil bastards making up bullshit.

If mankind harnesses enough natural sources such as solar, wind, thermal, tidal, etc., so that a sufficient amount of electricity is being produced it almost doesn't matter how much is required to produce the H2. And considering that there is nearly no damage to the environment it's actually over-all less expensive than the power we employ now.

You mentioned electrolysis. This would be a fine way to produce H2 given the above paragraph. However, as you know scientists don't just sit on their hands. Last year a paper was published introducing a new method of production employing nickel that drastically reduced the production costs. You can read the white paper on the technology if you'd like here.

Here is another novel H2 production system.

And yeah the whole argument about batteries being more efficient, blah blah blah, bite me. Sure so what, so are trains over cars, but the trains don't solve the same problems that cars do, and batteries don't solve the same problems that H2 does, thus rendering such assertions pointless.

The message to take home here is that once developed H2 will provide humanity with a clean, viable power source for our future needs. There are already examples of these technologies in place.

https://www.evwind.es/2017/08/27/norwegian-island-runs-on-wind-energy/60825

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-tiny-scottish-island-is-running-almost-entirely-on-renewable-energy

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2014/09/17/349223674/tiny-spanish-island-nears-its-goal-100-percent-renewable-energy

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/15/tilos-greece-renewable-energy-wind-solar-power

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/american-cities-powered-by-renewable-energy_us_59ea2cbee4b0958c4681d32a

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/is-this-a-new-golden-age-for-energy-communities/ (edited)

Call Rick Perry secretary of energy appointed by Trump. He can sell you some plutonium. Everything now is for sale.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> Call Rick Perry secretary of energy appointed by Trump. He can sell you

> some plutonium. Everything now is for sale.

It always has been . You might have to go to the other side of the tracks to get it , but ... ;)

Holy shit i just read back into this and realized I missed robrob trying to explain hydrogen to me. Damn

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account