Fall/Winter Vespa Bravo chopper build thread.

Hey everyone, I've been talking about documenting my build over the colder months here in Michigan and I've been making the moves over the past couple of weeks/gathering parts. I'll continue to document in further detail as substantial developments happen.

Build idea:

After spending time learning (and still learning) about Vespa from my previous Ciao build, I wanted to build something with a subframe on it. Riding a rigid bike has been fun but Grand Rapids is a city of potholes and I'm not as thicc as some people would tell you. With that in mind, I'm planning on doing a chopper-esque Bravo bike with some goofy/dumb parts on it. I'm hoping to roll this build out by the end of Spring 2019

Motor/transmission shit:

Polini Points Speed Cases

Polini 46mm Cylinder w/ matching head

Mazzuchelli Crank

19mm PHGB intake for Polini Speed Cases

19mm PHGB

Polini Aftermarket Vario

Si gearbox w/ variated transmission

Onto the few pictures I've taken thus far, I promise to be better about taking more as I go on. Below are the Polini cases right before assembling. Following the handy guide on the wiki, it slapped together just as easy as the other Vespa motors I've rebuilt. I actually noticed that it came together much smoother than the stock cases I've done in the past.

PRO TIP: At the advice of the Vespa homies before me, I always use two case gaskets as it perfectly seals up/ensures that cases and crank don't bind up the bearings.

Success after spending an afternoon crushing La Croixs and staring at parts warm up in a toaster oven! The crank spins like butter inside of there. Have to be careful not to over tighten the case halves down or you can cause some binding occasionally. Vespa is goofy.

Sneak peak (not really, these images are from my IG) of the gas tank I'll be mounting to the Bravo frame. It's off of a Minarelli E-Z Rider. If you know anything about E-Z Riders they're not manufactured the best, but holy fuck they have a plastic gas tank. Fuck rust, this gas tank will outlast me and the rest of the bike. The petcock still works and is all sealed up as well!

I'm excited to show off my progress as it goes on dudes, I'll be building the top end this weekend so I'll be that much closer with being able to say I have the heart of the bike finished. I'm planning on welding up and reinforcing an old Vespa subframe and purchasing the last pieces parts around Black Friday. Def going to try out those Chopper EBRs and add some other dumbass Chopper shit to really bring the build together. Hope y'all enjoy!

Re: Fall/Winter Vespa Bravo chopper build thread.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Definitely gonna be watching this.

I love a custom Vespa build, I’ll be following this.

Excited to see it move along my man! Keep posting the pics n’at

i’m looking forward to giving you shit for this

@Alex follow in Monte's footsteps and join the Vespa Bad Dudez. It's way fun.

@Jake I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm currently using some stock Ciao forks to keep my bench up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Choppahhh

You had me at choppa(edited)

I didn't think I could pull off a good chopper build so I just did a bunch of subtle custom frame mods for this sexy custom build.

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I didn't think I could pull off a good chopper build so I just did a

> bunch of subtle custom frame mods for this sexy custom build.

>

> http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy268/pupstained/Vespa%20frames%20and%20paint/orange%20brav%20build%20014_zpsc6fmg7jj.jpg

Love the colors/headlight.

What's that exhaust?

Polini top one

Can we get posters of this made?

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Polini top one

Really, huh neat. Mine hangs closer to the frame/motor.(edited)

Some small progress tonight. Polini kit was used and apparently soft seized the last time it was on a bike. You can kind of see some of the light scoring in the last image, I apologize for my poor macro photography. Not a lot of light in my friend's basement

I slathered the cylinder walls in 2T oil, then using a honing tool similar to this one. I avoided using the "ball style" hone out of fear that it could potentially damage any of the transfers by getting caught inside of one. After about 30-45 seconds of medium speed and evenly going in and out of the cylinder with the aforementioned tool I was happy enough with the results. It successfully smoothed down any noticeable smear on the cylinder walls and made a nice even crosshatch pattern. Quick spray down with some carb clean and a once over with cleaning towels and good as new. Bless any and all cast iron cylinders.

Pretty standard install of cylinder studs, used 2 Olympia 120mm M7 on the top and one of the Malossi 126mm M7 on the bottom.

Reason being for the stud length difference is to compensate for the additional threads need for the decomp assembly. If you aren't familiar with Vespa, the spring arm of the decomp is held down by the bottom stud nut/washer. Wasn't an issue on my stock build with all 120mm studs but the extra 6mm of threaded rod give me some piece of mind. Plus Treats was outta stock on a third 120mm stud so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And here we are, top end (mostly) assembled, will probably end up taking the head off or something else dumb in the next 4 months. Need to gather a pair of coils and a flywheel and we'll practically be done with the motor outside of routing cables/wiring it. Planing on disassembling the decomp and cleaning up the head a bit as well.

End of November/December will see some more developments, waiting on a Treats sale for the more spendy parts of my build. It's going to be hodgepodge build considering it'll be mostly assembled from nice, new aftermarket parts with T R A S H covering it. Hope you guys are enjoying following along.(edited)

Looking good, Kyle!

> Korean Fried Chicken Wrote:

> Some small progress tonight.

Hope you guys are enjoying following along.

Keep it coming . Always up for a good story . ;)

DJLou Magnetos ($M$) /

following.

Sweet!

Any updates?

> waiting on a

> Treats sale for the more spendy parts of my build.

yeah sale started like 3 hours ago, why no updates? cmon.

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> Any updates?

Oh oops. Yeah I will upload some photos of the frame/tank/seat when the seat arrives hopefully this week. I've been slacking pretty hard and playing a shit ton of Smash Bros.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Bump? I want to learn vesper

> > Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Any updates?

>

> Oh oops. Yeah I will upload some photos of the frame/tank/seat when the

> seat arrives hopefully this week. I've been slacking pretty hard and

> playing a shit ton of Smash Bros.

Hey put down the Ciders and let us know what happened to this build! But is did like the ciders....

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account