Re: Amstar Nostalgia 49cc

C50 performance pipes or pit bike pipes as long as they fit. I'm unsure how large as in dimensions these bikes are. Pitbikes are physically small so the pipes can be a little short for a more full size bike. But a passport pipe would breathe a little better than the c50. As the tube diameter should be a bit larger. A free breathing filter and some jetting and you could have a little more power. Look for a big valve head and a hotter cam with more lift and duration. Sounds expensive but the Chinese parts ain't much. But the quality can still be flaky. What I suggested can be around 300 bucks or less if you can find used. C50 bore and stroke was 39 X 41.5mm so dunno if that will be identical. If so aftermarket monkey bike and Dax/chaly performance pipes and parts will bolt on. Dunno if you got those in USA just make sure the parts are for a 12v motor not earlier 6v. But essentially all 73 on C50 and C70 passport motors are similar. The earlier stuff was quite different. So parts don't Interchange. Nor does ATC 110 trike parts. As that's similar to our 72 to 81 C90 and Australia postie bikes.

Natasha Hernandez /

I'd like to know if you found a replacement? If you did, can you tell me where you bought/ordered it from. I'm trying not to pay the dealership anymore money.

Planning on changing my motor oil and gear oil sometime soon as I feel a bit of a jerkiness going from first to second, any recommendations? Been looking at some 2-stroke gear oil changes and some Honda ruckus oil changes, but don't know how much that'll translate over to the Nostalgia.

Also, anyone have any luck with putting on an aftermarket speedometer?

4 stroke mineral, or semi synthetic 10w40 make sure its motorcycle oil, NOT car oil as it will knacker your clutch plates, also adjust the clutch its the screw and locknut on the right side as it sorta describes the "feeling" that you mentioned. you tube a video on adjusting the Honda C90/70/50 clutch. takes about 1litre (just under 34 fl oz US) if its anything like the proper Honda engines. also look up how to adjust your valve tappets and check your cam chain. all useful skills to learn with these small horizontal motors.

So I just made a dumb mistake: I accidentally pulled out the cam chain tensioner thinking I was pulling out the oil drain nut. To make it worse, upon hurriedly reinstalling the tensioner I installed it in the wrong order by doing spring, rod and plug rather than doing rod, spring and plug. I tried to pull it out and reinstall properly but I can't get the spring out even when I attempted to jimmy it out with a flex screwdriver. Any ideas on how to fix this mistake?

This is an old cub I had, had a cub clone 125 semi-auto 4 speed on there. and some other mods. the engine had some serious issues, but after i sold it, apart from the coil losing a wire, the dude had no problems, maintenance free - I saw him 2 years later, coming back from a 100+ mile ride, said he never had any problems. fucking crazy. I didnt expect it to make it more than a month or 2.

Update on the cam chain tensioner issue:

So I dug into the socket with a flat head and a bent paperclip to see if I could fish it out but to no avail. Got under the bike to get a good look inside the socket but can't seem to find the spring, I'm afraid it's somewhere inside the engine now (that being said I have no idea where the cam chain tensioner leads into). Any ideas on how to move forward? I'm thinking of buying a new spring right now to replace it, but I feel like I'm gonna need to find where that first spring went? Attached a photo of the rod of the tensioner.

15707330794186000348727193531153.jpg

You'll probably never feel right , until the PO comes along and tells you he lost it in his dirty garage fourteen years ago , or , you tear the motor apart and confirm one way or the other . ;)

Question for the guys who did the bar swap... What size bar does this bike come with?

Cam Chain Tensioner Mistake Fix - TOOK ME TWO WEEKS

So this is a story about a new motorcycle owner who made too many mistakes and took two weeks to fix them:

As y'all might know from previous posts, I'm a total scrub with bikes. This is my first bike and I didn't expect to be putting in too much work on it, but boy was I wrong. This started with doing an oil change because I felt like it would provide a smoother ride, but instead of removing the oil drain plug like you're supposed to I accidentally pulled out the cam chain tensioner and this is where I made my biggest mistake: Not looking up what it was and how to reinstall before throwing it back into the engine. I accidentally put the spring in first before the tensioner rod, and that resulted in the spring getting lodged ~somewhere~, I later troubleshot it and figured it had to be somewhere in the cam chain case.

After hours of Youtube digging, I learned how to remove the case and access the cam chain. But it wasn't that easy. I had mediocre tools as, stated before, I'm a total scrub. So I figured I'd take the plunge and go to O'Reilly's and get some tools... Ended up having to go to O'Reilly's at least 10 more times to get more specialized tools as I went.

I removed the cam chain casing and was met with the flywheel. The nut that was on the crank bolt was incredibly tight and I had no way to remove it. Ended up flying home to LA (I live in SF), where my parents lived one weekend and came back with an impact drill and some sockets for the nut. Got that nut off fairly easily, but had no way to remove the flywheel. Did some more Youtube digging and found that there are flywheel puller tools, but then realized that the flywheel that comes on the Nostalgia doesn't have threads for the puller tool. I ended up renting a Harmonic Balancer Puller from O'Reilly's. I used my impact drill with an allen bit (that required 3 separate adapters to get it to fit on the drill) and removed the 3 allen screws on the flywheel. Then I got the harmonic balancer puller bolts in those holes and with the impact drill, removed the flywheel. Thought I was done. Nope.

IMG_20191018_121904.jpg

I then removed the starter gears and chain, and was met with 2 incredibly stuck screws that held the plate that covered the cam chain. Not knowing how stuck these screws were, I made another noob mistake and tried using a drill on one. Stripped it. Great. I got an impact driver and a 20oz hammer for one of the screws and got one of them off successfully, but then there's the stripped screw. Used a 5/32 drill bit to drill the stripped screw, and somehow the impact driver was able to bite on the screw and I got it off. Took the plate off to access the cam chain and BOOM, there's the spring!

IMG_20191022_131542.jpg

I got the spring, reinstalled it PROPERLY and put everything back together. Now my baby girl runs smoothly again and I've never been happier. Two weeks of work, $100+ of tools, 10+ visits to O'Reilly's and finally my bike is BACK.

IMG_20191022_134242.jpg

While this was incredibly stressful, I learned SO much about engines and feel so much more comfortable working on bikes. I wish this never happened and I didn't have to do all this work, but I'm glad that I did it on my own and didn't pay a mechanic $300 to get it fixed.

Re: Cam Chain Tensioner Mistake Fix - TOOK ME TWO WEEKS

Good for you . :)

Education always has a price . ;)

Natasha Hernandez /

Replaced both handlebar grips. I broke the throttle tube, so I had to replace that as well. Still no luck with the after market speedometer I bought. Will have to go back to dealership to buy a new one.

20191103_182022.jpg

Speedo you just need to get something that matches the gearing and cable size. I've made custom backplate just to change the numbers to adjust speedometers that dont line up

What size throttle tube is it? I’ve been looking to replace mine but just am a little unsure as it seems there’s so many sizes and varieties. However my factory one was improperly installed causing it to get broken and I’ve had it jb welded back together for the time being lol.

Natasha Hernandez /

This is what I ordered from amazon.

Screenshot_20191108-213327_Amazon Shopping.jpg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account