Should I get a moped?

Josiah Radebaugh /

I've had a number of people ask me if they should buy a moped.... And 95% of the time I tell them they're just too much to deal with and aren't always reliable. Most of the time people are asking about transportation... I mean, I didn't start mopeds because of transportation... Given where i live it's easier to ride a bike if you want to get somewhere. My main purpose in starting mopeds was casue i thought they were amazing. Always disliked biger motorcycles.. So when people ask me if they should get one I usually just tell them to get a scooter. A good portion of the people who want one wouldn't know how to fix anything and I really hate seeing theses little, sensitive pieces of two smoke 40yr old garbage be abused.. If you have at least a little experience with two stroke and or vintage motorcycle mechanics then you'd do fine.

What do you tell people if they're wanting a piece of this wonderful, at the same time horrible hobby?* Moved to this forum by grahammotzing

Re: Should I get a moped?

ERIC from Idaho! /

Buy one and I'll help you convert it to electric :) Once I finish my E-streetmate I'll make public schematics and budget for the world!

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I tell them "sure get one, but be careful where you get it or buy it from me (exploiting the market)". it IS inadvisable to recommend a moped to someone. They are all garbage, unreliable and require a lot of learning and struggle. I personally don't take much offense to mopeds being abused because I know that when it stops running because a wee bit of dirt got in the jet that it'll be either in my garage being fixed or on craigslist for me to swoop up.

Mopeds are great, most other motorcycles are better. I like big bikes and wee little bikes, my one thing is that if you're going to be big, go ALL out. Like the goldwings are okay but not big enough. BE as big as possible and I'll like it.

In summary, I tell people to get one.

I tell most people to get a scooter, as they have no understanding of how to fix one, nor do they want to, they just like the "look" of mopeds.

Never in my life has anyone asked me, "should I get a moped?"

Whenever I get inquiries about mopeds, I tell people to get a scooter. Well made scooters like Yamahas and Hondas stay together longer and can go 40 mph without falling apart. If you like working on and fixing shit, then go get a moped.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I always say yes, with the caveat that you must be willing to learn.

People are typically looking at mopeds to ease into 2-wheels. Which they are great for. Simple mechanics, light weight and low power is not intimidating, etc, etc.

That said, I have met many people who have really really wanted to ride mopeds, but just weren't meant for it. Riding is a skill, and while it can be taught, some people just are less capable.

you guys ever get a stock puch maxi, go through the basic maintenance and just ride the damn thing? or a hobbit for that matter?

the only reason people think they are unreliable is because they buy them pre-junk, don't do the maintenance, then start doing a buncha shitty performance mods the wrong way.

you ride a stock 1978 puch maxi off the showroom floor and you could probably go 5000 miles before you had to do anything besides change oil and lube the chain. I always see people posting all this dumb horror story shit.. hell your weed wacker wouldn't last two weeks if you started putting on big bore kits and fuckin around with it.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Thats very true, i ride my Supermaxi how she is, Stock, cat removed ant thats it, i'ts fine, might need to overbore the Cylinder some time in Future. Has a little low compression.

Captain Janeway /

> Chöschi21 C.K. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thats very true, i ride my Supermaxi how she is, Stock, cat removed ant

> thats it, i'ts fine, might need to overbore the Cylinder some time in

> Future. Has a little low compression.

Maybe the mileage is screaming "change the rings" at you?

Chöschi21 C.K. /

That too, only has one Ring, but the cylinder doesn't look to good. these Engines didn't have a lot of compression anyways, a fairly big Combustion chamber plus about 3-3.5mm Squish.

Josiah Radebaugh /

^^^ That's true. Once you fix and replace everything that can go wrong it'll be like new.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

yea, i also wan't to have a little more Power, so, probably gonna get a 22mm Exhaust and already have a Head that i can Sand down, with those i should be (Hopefully) able to hit about 25-27mph with a new cylinder, now i am at 18-20 depending on Weather and stuff.

Edit, would really like to know what happened to her before i got her, Front fork isn't stock, well, it is, but it's not the one that came from factory, it's slightly Rusty Chrome and not Candy Red, front Tire is the original from 1987, clutch is a little worn and doesn't grab quite right, Rattling Piston, rattling front Light, the Stock Exhaust being bent and has a Dent in the Header, Paint chipped on a lot of spots and i believe that the Engine was opened up before, quite sketchy, just now realised that.…

Probably was abused, crashed into something and stuff like that….(edited)

i had two stock maxis that i rode for years just stock, one i completely went through and rebuilt and crashed, one of them i didn't even do any maintenance on, dug it out of a garage, got it running, put air in the stock ass dry rotted tires, and rode it for like 2 years with absolutely no maintenance. nothing. i think one time it broke down on the side of the road because the extension tube for the reserve in the tank fell out and when i went to reserve it didn't work, but other than that zero mechanical issues.

I don't think i even changed the trans oil, just kept topping it up when it leaked out.

mopeds are super reliable if your not a dummy. tell people that.

now that i think of it i might have popped a tube once and had to patch it, but overall a pretty good run.

Emil Kniemel /

> baird co Wrote:

> Never in my life has anyone asked me, "should I get a moped?"

lol same. i wish they did. for me its always:

"get a moped, join my gang!"

- "how many people are in your gang?"

"just me."

- "no."

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Yea, all of my Friends around me aren't really interested in Mopeds anymore, most of them now have 50cc Motorcycles, some are even at the age were they can ride even bigger Bikes...

Josiah Radebaugh /

Almost all people who've ever asked me weren't actually interested in mopeds as what they are (small 2 smoke vintage motorcycles) but as "a good way to get around."

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> you guys ever get a stock puch maxi, go through the basic maintenance

> and just ride the damn thing? or a hobbit for that matter?

>

> the only reason people think they are unreliable is because they buy

> them pre-junk, don't do the maintenance, then start doing a buncha

> shitty performance mods the wrong way.

>

> you ride a stock 1978 puch maxi off the showroom floor and you could

> probably go 5000 miles before you had to do anything besides change oil

> and lube the chain. I always see people posting all this dumb horror

> story shit.. hell your weed wacker wouldn't last two weeks if you

> started putting on big bore kits and fuckin around with it.

^ Very true, been rocking my stock Hobbit since 1998, one carb clean and crank seal when I got it, new tires last year...lol, always just runs, granted I only put a few hundred miles a year on it...but it has been the most reliable moped ever. Bone stock.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> i had two stock maxis that i rode for years just stock, one i completely

> went through and rebuilt and crashed, one of them i didn't even do any

> maintenance on, dug it out of a garage, got it running, put air in the

> stock ass dry rotted tires, and rode it for like 2 years with absolutely

> no maintenance. nothing.

That was like my silver Maxi Luxe I rode in college. Bought cheap, got running, blew the rear tire and replaced with equally old but non-cracked tire. Rode bone stock for 2 years no problem. I miss those simple days sometimes...

Mopeds, Quality mopeds are reliable. My StreetMate and Sebrings are very reliable. They have limits because they're mopeds.

Scores of thousands of miles I have ridden on those peds.

IMG_0143.jpg

im covered for life......stock goes for ever....old pic....herd much larger, but in defense....the flippers, hackers, and butchers didnt get them, and I have a huge family that enjoy the fun...

Captain Janeway /

Been riding mopeds and nopeds for a long time. The stock ones never needed anything but basic maintenance. It's only the kitted ones that are fussy. Had one for 20 yrs before it was stolen. Ran great.

> ID OD Wrote:

> >

> im covered for life......stock goes for ever....old pic....herd much

> larger, but in defense....the flippers, hackers, and butchers didnt get

> them, and I have a huge family that enjoy the fun...

THAT is a great bunch of mopeds! I'm jealous.

Would I recommend a moped if a friend asked? Yes...would I help them if they are over there head? Yes!!!To a degree...

Gotta have the dedication to know you will be stranded at some point...you will need to fix it yourself and you will be spending moneys.

My buddy loved mopeds after I found him a bike...drove 40 miles to save him once, only to find he had hit the pedal mode lever on his hobbit to move it into a parking space after getting gas...had no clue what was wrong....

When people want a moped for transportation i tell them to buy a new or slightly used tomos. Just have a moped shop do the work if you're not mechanically inclined and you can probably get thousands of worry free miles.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account