Re: Fantic sprinter project

Now I have the spacer sitting right I can take some still rough but better measurements for port timing. I cut some .8mm paper gaskets for either side of the spacer and installed it all on another motor. At TDC the top of the outside of the Piston sits and 3mm from the start (outside) of the squish (the squish is a separate insert in the head and sits inside the bore by 2mm). Then at BDC the Piston sits 1mm below all the ports. The spacer was made thick so I could face it as needed.

IMG_20200426_130307.jpg
IMG_20200426_130119.jpg
IMG_20200426_130321.jpg

The way that pipes wraps just fucking kills it hands down.

^^ yeah man that pipe is killer. Those fantic sprinters have nice lines this bike is gonna go hard.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> corduroy Swoop Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Did some more mocking and decided the foot pegs were too high and

> forward so I cut the welds holding them on but they can still bolt to

> the bottom engine mount and re-welded in the same spot. Mounted them in

> a better spot with zip ties but probably gonna have to find some

> rearsets to use or make my own.

What pipe is that?

DBR pug pipe from DOS Cycles.

So I'm at a real crossroad with rear suspension.

Blue is reverse angle shock using stock joy subframe shock mount and would require hacking more of the vertical tube. This seems like the most properly functioning option but I want that area to be empty. I'll probably still reenforce the subframe with the pink tubes with this option just slightly different.

The look I want but I don't think will function as properly without some issues is the yellow/pink option. Yellow being the shock and pink being fabricated tubing to reenforce the subframe and give a new shock mounting point. This option will require hacking all the tubes in that area that aren't the main tube. Another issue with this will be finding a gas shock that's short enough.

Any thoughts?

IMG_20200503_193603.jpg
IMG_20200503_193729~3.jpg
IMG_20200503_193729~2.jpg

I feel like if you mount the shock like the blue it may bind through the suspension travel since it swing in a circle from the frame mount. It may be fine I’m just using my experience with bagged truck and the way the bags mount but they have a lot more travel. (edited)

A4524961-1B63-467E-8D6A-095B2C7B9FD2.jpeg

Hacked out the triangle to get easier shock mounting options and measurements. Also hacked off the stock secondary mount on the pipe, drilled some holes in the subframe to make some other mount options for the pipe. Hacked off the rear tank support but marked it and the frame so it can be accurately re-welded back in place. Welded up the intake.

IMG_20200506_193229.jpg
IMG_20200505_165254.jpg
IMG_20200505_165310.jpg

More pics.

IMG_20200505_165236.jpg
IMG_20200505_180043_01.jpg
IMG_20200505_180641_01.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

Super sick build, I'm very excited to watch this unfold

Man I remember a picture of a sprinter showing up in a thread here in like 2004... This brings things full circle in a weirdo way. People went crazy for these back then.....

Well I did at least, super nice.

Got a trail tech regulator / rectifier from doscycles.com for when I get to electrics. The plan is to run battery powered lights for solid bright lights and run the water pump off the lighting coil from the stator. Lights can be on or off while the pump will always run while the bike is running. Dos should have the reg/rec up on their site soon if ya wanna support a rad supplier.

IMG_20200507_205648.jpg
IMG_20200507_200515_01.jpg

> corduroy Swoop Wrote:

> Got a trail tech regulator / rectifier from doscycles.com for when I get

> to electrics. The plan is to run battery powered lights for solid bright

> lights and run the water pump off the lighting coil from the stator.

> Lights can be on or off while the pump will always run while the bike is

> running. Dos should have the reg/rec up on their site soon if ya wanna

> support a rad supplier.

you can and should probably still run the pump off the battery. It'll run a consistent speed regardless of engine rpm and if you wire it right turning the lights off won't kill the pump.

That was a concern with rpms for the pump. Once I have it all together enough to know my rpm range and have a pump I'll be able to know more. I Talked about dropping the lighting coil to save drag on the flywheel and run the pump on the battery. But with front sprocket options seeming like 0 I don't really want to run at too high rpm before machining my trans support. Pros and cons, shifting a little heer a little there. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it but it's a ways off in the distance.

> corduroy Swoop Wrote:

> That was a concern with rpms for the pump. Once I have it all together

> enough to know my rpm range and have a pump I'll be able to know more. I

> Talked about dropping the lighting coil to save drag on the flywheel and

> run the pump on the battery. But with front sprocket options seeming

> like 0 I don't really want to run at too high rpm before machining my

> trans support. Pros and cons, shifting a little heer a little there.

> I'll cross that bridge when I get to it but it's a ways off in the

> distance.

idk what wattage a stock ignition on one of these puts out but I'm sure it's more than enough to keep the battery charged running LEDs and a pump. I wouldn't really sweat the magnetic drag of a lighting coil on your flywheel. that's such a marginal reduction in power, you lose more to things like low tire pressure. That cylinder is rated at like 16hp so you'll probably get 10-12 at the wheel. That will feel bonkers on this bike.

Yeah I'm concerned about the power wrecking the trans and crank shafts/bearings without being supported on the ends. I have a plan for a support plate that will replace the kicker cover and I'll probably have to rig a pull start for the electric side to make that work unfortunately. But that's why I've hoarded all the spare motors.

Started dremeling out the case to match the adapter. A bit worried about loss of case pressure/increase in case volume but fuck it I have more motors. Stopped here cause I ran out of sanding bits for the Dremel. Gotta be careful not to blow through. #gaped

IMG_20200519_184633.jpg

Makin moves!

I really think case volume will be good since you’re increasing displacement.

Did you make that pipe!?

I wish. It's a DBR pipe for a pug.

> corduroy Swoop Wrote:

> I wish. It's a DBR pipe for a pug.

It’s so perfect

Dirty30 Dillon /

> corduroy Swoop Wrote:

> Yeah I'm concerned about the power wrecking the trans and crank

> shafts/bearings without being supported on the ends. I have a plan for a

> support plate that will replace the kicker cover and I'll probably have

> to rig a pull start for the electric side to make that work

> unfortunately. But that's why I've hoarded all the spare motors.

On a positive, you have a rear clutch, so the weight on the variator and flywheel should be pretty close. I don't particularly see to much flung around weight on the crank.

I know Dibble is running a Derbi cast iron Metra on his and it's pretty sick.

To second Andy's thoughts, you should be able to run everything off a battery charged by the rectifier.

Calling it done for now. Big work done with metal but, then sanding bits, then a file, then 1500 sand paper, then polishing bit to finish.

IMG_20200523_212642.jpg
IMG_20200523_212633.jpg
IMG_20200523_220623.jpg

Starting point.

IMG_20200426_111104.jpg

Just free handed these subframe supports out of some ruined joy handlebars. Still just a rough close but it's a start.

IMG_20200605_232248.jpg
IMG_20200605_232306.jpg
IMG_20200605_232317.jpg

Left overs aka future intakes.

IMG_20200605_232329.jpg
IMG_20200605_232455.jpg

Cut some damn good holes to fit the wheel covers on. Using a pretty cool Tomos disc adapter kit from John dooley. Adapting a fantic rear five star and the disc kit together. Being stubborn about keeping the build as Italian and fantic as I can. Pill slotting the rim to fit the sprocket bolt spread on the adapter and drilling new holes in my minarelli sprockets. This way I don't have to deal with wheel/chain alignment etc. Gonna have to space the disc out father so the caliper clears the cover on the disc side.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466362912865/permalink/1597800177046137/?sale_post_id=1597800177046137

IMG_20200620_000810.jpg
IMG_20200620_001118.jpg
IMG_20200620_001100.jpg

More pics

IMG_20200620_000749.jpg
IMG_20200620_000947.jpg
IMG_20200620_000956.jpg

Wesley Ambrosini /

What in the fucking world those wheel covers are insane. All my snowflakes look like naked bullshit now

Helpful tip for covers, bmx or "21 inch" bicycle wheel covers work as 16 inch moped wheel covers.

2020: Year of the wheel cover. I love the look of these on any moped, very retro looking.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account