Re: My Motobecane Adventures

Bruce Zapper /

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> RebelMoby Fun Fact:

>

> At the factories in Pantin, the Yellow Mobys had a little extra

> 'looksexium' mixed into the paint for that French-type attraction

Are all years and models yellow moby's the same paint color?

I flushed the tank out today. Getting ready to evaporust it. It’s not bad, but definitely has rust inside. I tried to remove the Gurtner carb, but the slide was froze up , and so was the choke. Destroyed both cables in the process, but I got the f’er off, then lubed up the slide and pried it out with a screwdriver. I’ve got a SHA 15.15 but it’s lever choke. I need an intake for it. I’ve never tried to get a Gurtner going. Not sure I want to.

So here’s what I’ve concluded on Miss Quarantine. I believe Motobecane mopeds came OG with Cheng Shin Taiwanese tires, because they are on a few of my untouched Motobecanes. I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. Trade was good with Taiwan in the 70’s.

Anyway, this minty, ultra-sexy yellow beauty has them there tires, and they’re brand new, without having the overflow vulcanizing rubber worn off the center rib. This lil girl is also missing the left taillight reflector; the left pedal is scuffed on the end; the left handlebar grip end is chewed up a bit; the left brake handle is scuffed on the end; and the left mirror glass is gone. Other than that, it’s damn near perfect, albeit lightly dusty. Paint is still super shiny. I have reasonably concluded that this bike has <50 miles, was lightly crashed on the left side, then put up indoors and never ridden again. The gas was so nasty, but not varnished up like ethanol. Smelled like real gas, but very old.

I was disappointed that I couldn’t get the carburetor apart without damage to the slide and cables, but it’s a Gurtner so no biggie. I’ve got a few laying around. But I’m going to put a SHA 15.15 on it and call it soup. Gonna order the cable choke model, cause I wanna keep my side covers. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible, while gently increasing performance and reliability.

image.jpg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account