Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Hmm swapped on a tm24 and ita better all around power, but im still bogging and dying afer a few hundred yards.

Im going to check on my petcock, and timing. Im unsure if it is fuel or spark at this point. I replaced the coil and still no change. Swapped from 10 ohm to 5 ohm boot and slight increase in distance before bogging.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

This should be obvious, but have you considered vapor lock? Is there fuel in your line when the bike dies after 100'?

Looks like your fuel line goes up to get to the carb.

I've had problems with that dayglo fuel line before. Had a bike that ran perfect, then my fuel line split, borrowed some of that green line from a guy, and it vapor locked. Replaced it and the bike ran fine.

(I know a lot of people use it without problems, but it's worth checking out.)

Is your gas cap vented? Try running it loose and see if it still stalls out.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just based on body position alone in the mopedgp photos, I've kinda

> assumed that anyone who had any other Moto racing experience would sweep

> mopedgp even on a "non competitive" bike but I haven't been to one of

> their events so maybe not.

>

> Seems like a good strategy though. I feel like I could whip my variant

> around a kart track kinda quick.

>

> Mars has the right idea with his kx65 derbi thing. If he knew how to

> ride it I bet he would win everything all the time.

from what I’ve seen on comments on Facebook from moped GP coordinators and participants, and from comments here, it’s not actually racing at the events - sounds like everyone is having a great time which is totally awesome but that’s a track day in my eyes - Racing should take every oz of physical talent and focus your body can offer for how ever many laps your race may be. hanging around the pack then actually racing for 2 laps is a strategy I suppose - but not racing. Christophe and Victor I remember actually raced mopeds. not just because their builds were stupendous, but they actually gave 100 every lap.

You can totally whip a moped or small bike around the kart track and learn a lot - but I promise you’ll learn so much more froma. Track day just from instructors and other riders wanting to help. Learning brake markers, where to turn in, getting on the throttle early, finding the apex, how to approach certain chambers and sections of a course - all things I never learned on kart tracks - the bigger track gives you more time to experience things and learn IMO. it’s no more expensive to run a ninja 250 than putting thousands in a race moped. the 250 will actually have working brakes and suspension (although lacking) but you’ll learn how to set up a bike for the track as well.

And again I can’t stress enough how much diet and exercise can shave lap times. when you get to a point where you’re on the second to last lap of a 20min session and you’re not fatigued and have all that mental capacity that would have been put towards fighting fatigue now goes towards going faster. It’s an incredible feeling.

KX60s and 65s are power houses, great power plant for mini

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

A reasonably priced ninja 250 is like 3x the cost of my moped. Racing mopeds is arguably the cheapest thing you can race. Quit pushing your diet plan and just let us have fun fucking around with the lightest tinge of competition.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This should be obvious, but have you considered vapor lock? Is there

> fuel in your line when the bike dies after 100'?

>

> Looks like your fuel line goes up to get to the carb.

>

> I've had problems with that dayglo fuel line before. Had a bike that ran

> perfect, then my fuel line split, borrowed some of that green line from

> a guy, and it vapor locked. Replaced it and the bike ran fine.

>

> (I know a lot of people use it without problems, but it's worth checking

> out.)

>

> Is your gas cap vented? Try running it loose and see if it still stalls

> out.

This was considered too. Yesterday i:

1. Swapped petcocks, removed inline filter, removed Petcock filter. Removed tank cap. (No fix)

2. Ran an auxiliary tank. Went farther, maybe 1/4 mile. Bogs and dies hit cyl head temp of 240.

3. Bike became progressively harder to start.

4. Downjetted from 130 to 125 main. Tm24. The plug was black, no soot though (on the 130)

Tonight..pulling the carb apart. Pulling the top end apart.

20190818_193955.jpg

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

I've been to a bunch of moped races and being able to actually race is 90% of winning.

I've seen multiple races that were won by old fat guys on not the fastest mopeds, their only advantage was that they were racing mopeds for 30/40 years.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

well, yeah, there's racing and then theres racing.

everybody gets into it for different reasons

i can say from my tiny little bit of trackday/race experience that its really tempting to get all jazzed up and put all your effort into the machine and not put the effort into the physical strength and training.

if you took whatever mild kitted daily rider you've got and ran cones in a parking lot for 3 hours every weekend from now until the race, you'd probably finish higher than what you're building right now.

but maybe thats not why you're into it.

a couple years ago i put all my other 'race' dreams on hold and bought a crappy 20 year old dirtbike and just ride it and do maintenance, no performance parts, no tricky shit... its made me a better rider than all the other stuff combined, maybe someday i'll get back into the moped racing thing but for now i'm working on mah skillz.... its kinda like anything from learning guitar to whatever else you want to do, the practice and mastering of a skill is its own reward even if you never win.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Ditching the pipe and swapping in a more appropriate pipe.

Replacing studs and hardware

Swapping in dirtbike radiator

Regearing for low end

Tuning tm24

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

44 days until race day and i still have a lot to accomplish on this build, and need as much seat time as possible.

Yesterday we bored to m7, tapped, and installed new studs.

Fyi for people thinking of running the watercooled head: bore to m7. The m6 studs that are recommended are garbage. Buy the m7x125mm Polinis, REALLY nice quality and no need to clean up the threads.

Running grade 8 hardware and Nord Lock.

Next step is to make sure my piston is clearing the exhaust port. Then torque the top end down and build a pipe on Sunday. Then leak test it.

20190828_203808.jpg

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Ana L. of the Aurora Roras /

Let’s see da pipe!

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Joe Schuitema /

I've had isssues with my bike bogging and cutting out at high full throttle applications, usually taking 8-10 seconds to happen. I tried timing and jetting and made no difference. Even bored out the carburetor inlet thinking the 230 main was draining the bowl. After holding the throttle open a bit too long when it was bogging it locked up. The piston top was erroded, telling me it was detonating/preginiting. The solution was higher octane gas and cooler spark plug. I'm running a high compression, hard hitting pipe and it needed the extra points. Currently running a 50/50 mix of 110 and 93 and can hold it open as long as I want. One other tell that something was weird was when going full throttle I could watch the water temp gauge rise rapidly, indicating the cylinder was making tons of heat. It locked up when the water was at 180 degrees.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Travis King /

Dickie, keep up the work and have blast man.

Jeff and Andy, come out to one of the GP events. Share what you have learned with the opportunities you guys have to get on tracks so often. Some of the people there will probably be stoked to get another perspective and the challenge on the track.

As far as the mopedGP events go, we get all sorts, just like with anything. There are always a few super competitive people who are giving their 100% and could maybe even benefit from a diet.

There's people like me, who really only do it to challenge my imagination with bikes. I am not really into "racing" and I help set one of the events up. But if I am not mistaken pros have very well paid mechanics and engineers behind their machines. For me it's just an excuse to try weird shit.

Ultimately there's something to engage in for anyone at the event I help with. People get serious, people have fun. Cool bikes show up.

If you like mopeds come out. If you like racing, come out. If you like just hanging out, come out.

Dickie, I am sure the dudes setting up the East event are stoked on your thread. Keep adding to it!

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Ana L. of the Aurora Roras /

Holy fuck thanks for the update Joe.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

> Travis King Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> But if I am not mistaken pros have very well paid

> mechanics and engineers behind their machines. For me it's just an

> excuse to try weird shit.

You are correct- and for good reason, it's really hard to race a bike you built. You know all the little corners you cut and you're too in your head about the machanics. Motoamerica superbike racer Kyle Wyman owns his team and builds his bike. It's pretty amazing that he's able to run a business, participate in building and maintenance, and race competitively. The dude's one in a million tbh.

Club racers all maintain their own bikes though. Unless they're ritzy folks that can afford to have a race shop do it for them.

None of this really applies to mopads though, the fun is thinking it's gonna blow at any minute

Anyways, I like this thread and build threads like it. Start with assumptions then validate or correct them as you go and learn more.(edited)

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Couple updates..the m7 studs are tight. Loctite/nord locks and nice hardware makes the difference. Replaced the exhaust. Cut a new base gasket and it now fully clears the exhaust port. Chamfered the cylinder a bit more.

Hacked up a tomos techno that was a donation from riggsby's bakers dozen bike. So ya, this bike is comprised of several bakers parts.

Put it back together and i definitely had some airleaks, probably on the exhaust slip header.

With some help from an anonymous friend, we made the pipe and he taught me how to use a bridgeport. Lots of fun.

Still backfiring - hpi on the way...

20190904_193520.jpg
20190904_201446.jpg

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

> Joe Schuitema Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've had isssues with my bike bogging and cutting out at high full

> throttle applications, usually taking 8-10 seconds to happen. I tried

> timing and jetting and made no difference. Even bored out the

> carburetor inlet thinking the 230 main was draining the bowl. After

> holding the throttle open a bit too long when it was bogging it locked

> up. The piston top was erroded, telling me it was

> detonating/preginiting. The solution was higher octane gas and cooler

> spark plug. I'm running a high compression, hard hitting pipe and it

> needed the extra points. Currently running a 50/50 mix of 110 and 93

> and can hold it open as long as I want. One other tell that something

> was weird was when going full throttle I could watch the water temp

> gauge rise rapidly, indicating the cylinder was making tons of heat. It

> locked up when the water was at 180 degrees.

Good to know. I need to read about octane. I swapped the plugs around and didnt see much change..maybe i need a full review.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

I was tempted to finish building my Derbi for this or at least drive up and watch the races...but it just so happens to fall on the exact date of my wedding.

Good luck man!

Andy Simpson, lets grab a few beers soon and talk Derbi. It's been a few years!

Larry -

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

> Lawrence Au Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I was tempted to finish building my Derbi for this or at least drive up

> and watch the races...but it just so happens to fall on the exact date

> of my wedding.

>

> Good luck man!

>

> Andy Simpson, lets grab a few beers soon and talk Derbi. It's been a few

> years!

>

> Larry -

Ha! Ya I vote you go to the wedding hahah

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

> Lawrence Au Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I was tempted to finish building my Derbi for this or at least drive up

> and watch the races...but it just so happens to fall on the exact date

> of my wedding.

>

> Good luck man!

>

> Andy Simpson, lets grab a few beers soon and talk Derbi. It's been a few

> years!

>

> Larry -

Any old excuse! Tell her your plan and if she has a problem with it, you probably got off the hook just in time.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Well the HPI is on the way. Starting to mock the new frame up.

Putting a magnum swingarm on a tomos revival frame.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

HPI is getting installed tonight. will post a vid of the bike running/riding.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

> Dickie Thompson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> HPI is getting installed tonight. will post a vid of the bike

> running/riding.

Wish I would have read this earlier. If you don't plan on running lights, the hpi is the worst of the high dollar ignitions. The fit and finish is p terrible on them. The selettra is the choice of modern euro racers.

When you install the hpi, use a timing light to verify- I've installed at least 5 that had incorrect markings. Also be careful with the wires, they're really poorly attached and will break off at nearly every joint.

Having said that, I've never heard of a new hpi that just didn't work as intended so once it's timed right it should be good... Until it falls apart.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Dickie Thompson Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > HPI is getting installed tonight. will post a vid of the bike

>

> > running/riding.

>

> Wish I would have read this earlier. If you don't plan on running

> lights, the hpi is the worst of the high dollar ignitions. The fit and

> finish is p terrible on them. The selettra is the choice of modern euro

> racers.

>

> When you install the hpi, use a timing light to verify- I've installed

> at least 5 that had incorrect markings. Also be careful with the wires,

> they're really poorly attached and will break off at nearly every joint.

>

> Having said that, I've never heard of a new hpi that just didn't work as

> intended so once it's timed right it should be good... Until it falls

> apart.

Merp. Do you have a link to the other ignition? When this one dies ill replace LOL

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

First step is inspecting the wiring and soldering new connectors I guess

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

So i goofed up. My cases are 2 hole, not 3 hole. Meaning that the hpi i purchased is largely unusable until i bore and tap the castings.

The alternative was using a tomos setup. So got that going.

Bike ran and did 53 today. Retiming, going to plug chop, and swap in my jammer clutch.

Big thanks to everyone thats had a hand in this.

Re: Race Bike Build - Oct 12th/13th due date

Double checking this..first run last night. Seems too quick to be accurate.

Screenshot_20190910-081158.png
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to reply to this thread?

We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first you'll need to login (or create an account).