1989? Jawa 210 sport

Eric Butterfield /

Ok, so I picked this up today. Previous owner said it ran, but I never witnessed it. Got it home and just looking it over and am having trouble figuring it out. Anyone have a line on a manual or any good links or tips? Any insight would be appreciated.

9E84F6FC-8E39-4196-9F7B-9BCE8430122D.jpeg
1BCB38E8-A264-486D-8E29-EF49C25E2B49.jpeg

Re: 1989? Jawa 210 sport

Eric Butterfield /

Awesome, thanks.

Spent some time on it this afternoon. Drained the gas, cleaned the carb, etc. was able to get it to fire up, and would run for a bit. Once the choke comes off, it died. After a few tries, gas started leaking out the front of the carb. Figure either the float is sticking or the needle and seat need cleaned or replaced.

That is a great looking bike, enjoy!

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Great looking Jawa. Even has the tool compartment. Clean that carb well and you should be fine. These are fun peds. I'm converting mine to a two speed.

Eric Butterfield /

Yeah, very happy with this find. Only 184 miles on the odometer, inside of the gas tank is incredibly clean, and I even like the aftermarket “cats eye” turn signal set up. All for $200.00! couldn’t pass this one up!

Hell of a deal!

May wanna check on the condition of those rechargeable batteries for the signals. White box under tank.

Eric Butterfield /

Thanks, guys. I did crack open the battery case for the turn signals, no batteries, and no corrosion. Petcock has now sprung a leak though. Not sure if it’s worth a rebuild or just makes sense to go with a new generic one?

I’ve taken the carb apart 3 times and just can’t get the thing to run for more than 5 seconds before it dies out. Then the carb starts dripping and won’t fire. Am I missing something? Do I just give up on the jikov and go with the Dellorto? Little worried about that as I’m not much of a mechanic, much less a fabricator.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

You can buy the rubber part for the petcock. The Dellorto conversion with a Puch intake is preferred but if you're not that handy concentrate on cleaning the carb. Disassemble, clean and blow out with compressed air.

Eric Butterfield /

ok, tried going through some of the old posts on doing the Dellorto conversion and am a bit confused as to which puch intake i'd need. I also see both Treats and jawashop have an intake adapter that is supposed to work on a Dellorto carb > jawa swap. Anyone have any insight on those? It looks like the sha 15 would be the prefered carb for a performance boost, but the 14.12 looks to be the closest match. This is my first foray into the world of bikes with limited part availability, so i'd prefer to not screw anything up along the way. Especially since replacing it might prove problematic...

Every once in a while Ithink about updating the jawa wiki pages but why? jawamopeds.com has so much info neatly compiled.

fred's guide still applies as directly to a jawa as anything else, i'd start there. Where jawa gets weird is the ignition though, so if you've got spark problems, head over to the jawamopeds page linked above, goto the "technical" tab instead of manuals, and read up on jawa ignitions.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Eric Butterfield /

Thanks Frank & Born to be wild. Those are both great sources. I'd not looked at the stuff under the technical tab yet on jawamoped.com. And Frank, that is exactly what i was after for the intake/carb detail.

I took apart the carb one last time and cleaned it completely with carb cleaner, compressed air & copper wire. Got the same results. still leaks gas as the needle valve isn't airtight. Bike only starts on full choke, engine seems to race as if at WOT, then dies off after 4 or 5 seconds. If i try to work the throttle, it dies immediately. With the carb completely cleaned, i was expecting to at least get the thing to idle. Any suggestions?

Also took apart the petcock and the little cork disc with the holes had started to disintegrate, so I'll need a new one of those to get that right.

was probably a bit too optimistic about getting this thing on the road right away. When i bought my 79 qt50, I pulled & cleaned the carb, petcock & gas tank. Changed the oil and put in a new spark plug and it's been up and running great ever since.

Sounds like maybe the carb is NOT completely clean .

Polish the float valve needle seat to a bright shine with Q tips and brasso .

There can be no defects/impurities on the float needle tip .

Insure that the idle circuit is pristine .(edited)

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

I had one where the float was not adjusted properly. Pretty bent from what it should be. Make sure there is no debris under the float needle and seat. I have even hooked up the fuel line and watched fuel dribble then shut off as I manipulated the float.

Eric Butterfield /

pretty certain there isn't any gunk left in there.. I'll go in one more time to make sure though.... In the meantime, I made the decision to just buy the 15 mm Dellorto from jawashop. I had my cart all loaded up with goodies (bearings, seals, gaskets, etc) before I realized they didn't have one. They have the 12MM but figure i'll just be disappointed with the performance so I guess i'm gonna wait. Patience is not one of my stronger traits... grrrr!

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Buy these:

https://www.treatland.tv/treats-puch-15mm-bing-intake-p/number-one-grandpa.htm

https://www.treatland.tv/SHA-15mm-runtong-clone-carburetor-lever-choke-p/sha-15mm-runtong-carb-lever.htm

You will need to make a shim out of 1MM thickness stock. I used copper sheet because it's what I had on hand. Some have used milk jug plastic. The puch intake is 20MM OD and the Dellorto clone carb without it's crappy shim is 22MM ID. A Viton O ring would best be used to complete the seal. Then file the mounting holes in the intake and either make a Pergo flooring spacer to bolt it to the cylinder or just grind off the edges to fit with a gasket. If you can, the Pergo flooring spacer is sweet!

A 62 or so jet would be a good place to start. I think an unlabeled 68 comes with that carb. It will be too rich.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /
20190808_170038.jpg

I didn't put this on my second Jawa yet.

Eric Butterfield /

Awesome! Thanks, Frank. I'll get those on order right now... Denny's cycles has a jet set (58-68), the Puch intake and a 1mm shim in stock and they show to have a warehouse in Zanesville, Oh. Shipping will only be $3.85.... Unfortunately they don't stock the Dellorto clones, only the real thing... figure it's worth the wait and the few extra dollars in shipping to get the clone from Treats.... PS, were you able to re-use your throttle cable or did you just grab a new one? Thanks again for all your help.

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Yes get a new throttle cable. Some people hate these clones but if you're careful they're fine. Good luck!

That looks great. Never seen such a Jawa in Europe...

Eric Butterfield /

Does anyone have this picture of a Puch intake from the top side? ... I've drilled and ground the openings down and I'm just about able to get it to slide over the existing studs, but there just isn't much room left on top before I'm going to be into the body of the intake. Do i need to grind out some of the body for the hex heads that will replace the studs? Just don't want to go too far if i'm missing something here.

Eric Butterfield /

sorry, pic didn't load on last post..

jawa4.jpg

Use Allen heads not conventional hex.^^

Eric Butterfield /

yes, sorry about that... I do plan on using allen head bolts, but still not sure i'll have room. I'll take a pic tonight when i get home and post it...

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

There's room, trust me.

20190821_142805.jpg

Eric Butterfield /

If you say so Frank... I'll look at it again tonight... I did go with your suggestion and grabbed a few free Pergo® samples from Home depot to cut my spacer. I can tell you I'm much more comfortable as a woodworker than metal fabrication....

Eric Butterfield /

ok, finally got the intake to fit. Only issue now is that with the added height of the spacer, the carb hits one of the lugs on the bottom of the coil. So options are to get rid of the pergo spacer and try to pick up enough clearance by going with a couple layers of cork, but I'm just not sure the 3/16" I'll pick up is enough to clear the coil. Or I try and move the coil up to allow the carb to fit underneath, if there is enough slack in the wiring to allow me to move it up one mounting hole.

Frank, did you run into this issue? I'm guessing i could just upgrade to the newer thyristor with the built in coil to make it work, but so far I don't think my thyristor needs replaced and would rather not throw another $30 at it if I can come up with an alternative. How did you get this to work on your bikes?

Thanks in advance

jawa6.JPG
jawa7.JPG

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

Sand the Pergo spacer thinner. That's what I did. Make it almost flush.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account