Differences between 81, 82 & 83 Honda Express 2 speed

I picked up a 82 Honda Express NC50 Automatic 2 speed the other day. Works great and has been a lot of fun.

I'm wondering if parts (mainly engine & transmission) are the same on the other Express 2 speed nopeds from 81 & 83? Anyone out there have different year models and compared them? I know parts are kinda hard to come by on the 2 speeds nc50s so if 81 & 83 are compatible it will broaden my search in the future. As of now I don't think I need anything but it would be good to know for future reference.

Also i'm not sure what the previous owner has done recently as far as filling up tranny oil, replaced gaskets etc. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary but what would be some good general maintenance to start on this thing?

Thanks!

Re: Differences between 81, 82 & 83 Honda Express 2 speed

Two speed Express II is NA50, one speed is NC50. That will make a difference in your searches.

Jack Rutherford /

I may be mistaken but the nc50 also came in 2 speed (82 & 83). 81 is one speed but you can put the 2 speed clutch from an 82 or 83 in it. Carb is slightly different on 82/83. I think 82/83 had slightly longer exhaust. 82/83 had coil under frame instead of under seat. 82/83 had gas tank under seat and oil tank in rack whereas 81 had both in rack. Did honda go to 12v in 82? Hubs were bigger perhaps starting in 81 so brake shoes are different. Perhaps more. (edited)

Richard Veloz /

What piece in the transmission makes it a two speed and also can you convert a one speed to two speed?...

image.jpg

Jack Rutherford /

You can convert a 1 speed to a 2 speed if you have an 81 engine/case and the 82 or 83 clutch. I’ve done it a couple times now.

Some 81’s were 1 speed. I think the nc50’s. I just had an na50 81 that was 2 speed. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account