Is this a good deal?

Hi everyone! I’m 18 and new to mopeds and looking into buying one. I found this 1976 Motobécane for $300 obo. It has 2466 miles on it, he says it doesn’t run but has compression and spark. He says it probably just needs a carb clean. This info is from the ad- Brakes work, tires hold air and have nice tread. Lights work. Chrome has pitting/rust. Paint is in good condition but also has a few rust spots.

I’m pretty handy so any necessary work doesn’t scare me, just don’t have much money to spend on making it super pretty at the moment.

A4CB5344-08D8-483D-B08E-4688CE676FD7.jpeg
51F6D6BA-8FEE-42F1-A7C1-741A1F0368ED.jpeg

Re: Is this a good deal?

Not a great deal but if I was looking for a bike I might pop. I paid 250 for my moby in similar shape

Thanks! I could offer that price and see what he says, is this a good bike otherwise? Is that a ton of miles and do you think this is a good project bike? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

This is the worst possible moped brand for a newbie, and this isn't even a good example of a moby WORTH buying. Hold out for a puch or tomos

It's the moby 50, it's their most basic, it's the "dimoby" single speed av7 motor. None of that makes it very desirable. Still, it's a moby, lots of parts, usually easily available. Depends what you want to do. You could probably assemble a variated av10 motor for it around 800 and go really quite fast, but you could also easily just dump way to much money into it. Most critical I think is condition of the tank- its integral to the frame so any rust, especially holes are difficult to address and basically end it. The motor stuff is all pretty easy to come by

Many people recommend against motobecane because they are more complicated, but if it's a first bike I think they might be better. The problem is they do a lot of things differently than all other brands so when you're familiar with other bikes they seem overcomplicated, but as a first bike without all the preconceptions from other brands I bet you'd find them pretty great and maybe come to consider 9ther makes overcomplicated.

I personally find them to be both some of the most finicky and complicated but also most rewarding and responsive to modifications. Plus they're beautiful. Pure simple and elegant

Still, typically for a first bike puch tomos honda and minarelli are easier and almost always I'd recommend a running unmodified bike. It let's you get the learning curve without setting up to be overwhelmed with a project that never gets finished.

But damn, moby's are rad

^all of the above, would not pay more than $100.00 for that, given the condition. Moby was my first bike, but it was in much better shape, they are odd, but when right are a blast to ride.

Ok thanks guys, im going to decide against it and look for a better starter bike as suggested above. Thanks again!

that looks like a clean bike, if you can ask him to go work on it for 30 mins - pull the carb and clean it. Bring a flathead, phillips, 8,10,12mm wrench, small pair of pliars, and any can of Carb Spray or Ether with a small red straw.

sorry i know you got your answer but keep this in your back pocket for ANY moped you look at also.

From my experience buying my first "running/almost" moped many years ago you MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING:

- Another mode of transportation

- Be willing to learn and spend a lot of time scratching and banging your head when it doesnt work for no reason (patience and persistence)

- A phillips + flathead screwdriver , large and small , 8 , 10 , 12 , 14, 16 mm sockets ( and some randoms like a 7 , 17 , 23, pb blaster, vicegrips, and metric allen wrenches, thats 90% of what you need barring maybe a clutch puller)

This site is the holy grail of all moped knowledge , click the Forums button, and on the top left there is a "Search" feature, type in your question very simply, select All forums and All dates to find answers to any question you could ever ask for that bike.

happy mopeding !(edited)

Thanks! I might do this if I can’t find another, he just replied and said it hasn’t run in 4 years so I feel like it might take a good bit o work. My dads got a ton of tools so that won’t be a problem.

Hasn't ran in 4 years?

Looks like it sat in a field for four years.

Chain has not been oiled in four years. Will probably need replaced with sprockets. That's just a prelude to what else could be wrong. Because of the external rust present one has to consider the internal rust probabilities I for one would be pulling that gas cap and inspecting the tank with a flash light.

Look for a runner.

Screenshot_2019-08-19-02-22-23.png
Screenshot_2019-08-19-02-31-00.png
Screenshot_2019-08-19-02-32-24.png

(edited)

The carb is missing it's air box as well, as I said, no more than $100.00 there is that much in parts at least.

for that money. you should be able to jump on, and ride that crusty pos.......that bike is a heart breaker for a noob.......i know moby guru's, and they always be cursing........does it have a PA title?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Run, don’t walk from that POS.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

^all of the above, would not pay more than $100.00 for that, given the condition.

This about sums it up. The bike is missing side covers, air cleaner, and is not running. Its going to need the usual for a moped that has sat - fuel system flush, possibly a new fuel valve, cables, tires, etc... also, motobecanes are real bad about rotting gas tanks, check the belly of the tank for rust holes - press on it to make sure you dont feel weak metal.

Run, don’t walk from that POS.

Even at $100 (which he wont take) i would side with Mopedlar. Motobecanes are finicky bikes that are not suited to new riders. Dont buy a bike that will spend more time broken down than running. It will just turn you off from the hobby.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^all of the above, would not pay more than $100.00 for that, given the

> condition.

>

> This about sums it up. The bike is missing side covers, air cleaner, and

> is not running. Its going to need the usual for a moped that has sat -

> fuel system flush, possibly a new fuel valve, cables, tires, etc...

> also, motobecanes are real bad about rotting gas tanks, check the belly

> of the tank for rust holes - press on it to make sure you dont feel weak

> metal.

>

> Run, don’t walk from that POS.

>

> Even at $100 (which he wont take) i would side with Mopedlar.

> Motobecanes are finicky bikes that are not suited to new riders. Dont

> buy a bike that will spend more time broken down than running. It will

> just turn you off from the hobby.

Agreed.....leave it for a seasoned Motobecane veteran.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account