14 Years and still Going Strong

My Honda Cub, restored it 14 years ago and it's still purrs like a kitten.

Re: 14 Years and still Going Strong

Of course it does, It's a Honda! BEAUTIFUL bike.

A 1965 Honda is 54 yrs. old.

Thanks, yea it still looks good and runs strong.

Nice! I have a 1971 Honda 70 I need to get running.

I saw what a guy told me was a cub on my last ped buying spree but i think it was some different than that.i didn't notice the fairing being like that on it ..i dudn't look at it that close but had intended to look next time i am out looking and that direction ...if it had looked as good as yours i would have kick a ped or two out of the truck and brought it home ...thats a really pretty color

I have a Honda 70 passport too, that one is going 15 years since I pulled it out of a dumpster and rebuilt it. It still shines nicely and goes 48 mph, the blue Cub 50 goes 45.

That fairing is the early style, the later ones like the 70's and 80's Passports had a more streamlined one.

Sweet ride

Bad Cadillac™ /

Nice!

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I saw what a guy told me was a cub on my last ped buying spree but i

> think it was some different than that.i didn't notice the fairing being

> like that on it ..i dudn't look at it that close but had intended to

> look next time i am out looking and that direction ...if it had looked

> as good as yours i would have kick a ped or two out of the truck and

> brought it home ...thats a really pretty color

Could have been a Yamaha, they made something similar to the Cub.

I want a Passport badly, but I can't justify the cost, a nice one will fetch $1,500 around here, and I can get a Maxi-scooter or street motorcycle for that money.

Yea its crazy how much people ask for them ad they think they have gold in their hands but once in a while I see them for under 1k and in good condition. The glitches they have are the kicker will slip unless you use it evetyday to keep the clutch wet, and the electric starters are a bitch because the thumb switch runs thru the neutral switch so it looses current to actuate the starter. Could never get mine to work. I changed out my front sprocket for one tooth larger and gained 8 mph, shifts smoother across the powerband. Al else stock.

^ Made a note about the sprocket, ty, the ones I see at that price are mint mind you, but obviously not highway legal, for $1,500 I want highway power. I can get a 250-750 cc runner for a grand. If I had extra money I would grab a mint Passport, as you could own it the rest of your life, but I'm not wealthy, so money spent has to be useful as well as cool, I got all my mopeds for less than $200.00, so satisfied with their limitations.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> > Pops Peds Wrote: it actually belonged to another guy and he said he thought it was a cub .it might have been a passport ..i had a pa 50 ,qt50 and a western flyer on my mind so didn't pay much attention to it but thought i would keep it in mind for next trip that way

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I saw what a guy told me was a cub on my last ped buying spree but i

>

> > think it was some different than that.i didn't notice the fairing

> being

>

> > like that on it ..i dudn't look at it that close but had intended to

>

> > look next time i am out looking and that direction ...if it had looked

>

> > as good as yours i would have kick a ped or two out of the truck and

>

> > brought it home ...thats a really pretty color

>

> Could have been a Yamaha, they made something similar to the Cub.

^ UZE 50? I just can't remember, (analog brain) sorry! :)

I think Suzuki made something along those lines too....

I guess i just didnt see the fairing. it was behind some other bikes and 4 wheelers and i just saw a side view..i just texted him and he said best he knew it was something like super cub c65 but he wasn't sure ..it is in that line though

Nice looking bike!

After I bought my Motron in 1979, I wanted a Passport so bad I could taste it. Still don't have a one. I did grab a CM91 for $125 earlier this year with no title and it's been sitting under a tarp all summer. I gotta get it into my brother's shed for the winter, but I tore up my knee 3 weeks ago and I'm not so sure how I'm gonna get it there yet. This will be next summer's project AFTER I get my moped mechanic paid off. A 45 mph JCPenny Swinger is cool, but I still want to ride that Honda!

Lenno's Garage had a segment on the Cub that was fun to watch.

(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

John-

Supercub ride was the first moped event I attended many years ago now. Remember that bike very well, and the ride was just as memorable!

Hope you're still well. I'll not soon forget crossing the I-95 bridge pedestrian path, haha.

still got that junkyard one i gave ya?

Angry Hipster /

The cubs were great bikes. To say otherwise would be stupid. . That being said for being the world's most produced vehicle finding parts in the U.S. isn't always easy.

The passports (C70) weren't sold in the U.S. for very long, maybe 3 or 4 years

Lots of parts like the fairings need to be ordered from Taiwan and they aren't cheap!

The engine itself is a solid design but they're getting old. They're sewn together with a plethora of JIS screws that can be a pain to remove even with the proper driver. Then you have to deal with finding the proper hardware and assortment of seals/gaskets when taking apart the engine. The generic Honda gasket/seal kits don't have the right size oil orings and don't include everything you need. Forcing you to find N.O.S $$ seals/hardware.

Then you realize there is a 6 Volt engine, and 12 Volt engine, which are engine design variances along with electrical system changes. So you have two groups of engines, 6v and 12v, most of the bikes in the U.S. are 6V and parts are once again a challenge to find parts/info for.

My 81 C70 randomly decided to stick a valve, despite being adjusted to spec. This was after I already replaced the cam chain tensioner pulley. So I was already tired of spending money and time on it, but I kept on and got the head off and once again $$$, you can either spend lots to get the head machined, new valves etc, or in my case I was lucky enough to find an aftermarket supplier that happened to just start carrying the 6v heads.

I go to the Honda Cub forums and Facebook groups and get told......Lifan Swap Dood!! Ugh, that's not what I wanted to hear, but it's pretty much the only solution recommended by the groups, ever.... Nothing but washing/waxing the bikes, changing the exhaust and sticking Chinese motors and Carbs on them..

Anyhow I gamble, install the chinese head, the bike runs great, but always makes a ticking noise. Chinese quality I guess...

I sold the bike after getting sick of it at less than what I had in it, and didn't make a cent for all the labor, and explained my repairs and the guy bought it and I focused more on mopeds and haven't been happier.

Now as if all that isn't bad enough I haven't even touched on the transmission side of things. It turns out you need a micrometer and such to even consider repairing the transmissions on those bikes which seem to develop problems experienced and documented by people who ride them in the U.S. ... the recommended solution....LIFAN DOOD!!!

It's so nice being able to find all of the parts I need for my e50 and not need a machine shop to repair it.

Also Picking up a c70 Passport is no easy task!!! Those bikes are heavy, getting them onto a table without help is only a task reserved for a strong guy and even then it is a struggle.

No thanks..........

Maybe if there were cheaper parts/more more info out there I would consider it, but they don't have the knowledgeable community and parts availability of mopeds. I am glad in the end to have owned the bike, It makes me appreciate the moped scene more....Kind of a appreciating the sweet after having tasted the bitter type scenario.

Hey Jumpsuit, been a long time. I didn't keep the one that you gave me but I took the major parts off to keep mine alive and kept the top end, I gave it to a guy who wanted to make a Lifan racer. The pipe will go on a 64 Trail 90 I am redoing into a street rider. Lucky it's the same diameter. Saw a Batavus same as your on CL recently, was wondering if your still riding.

Pop- That bike is probably an S65 toptank which was only made for 1 year to skirt motorcycle licence laws at the time it was 4.9 hp, just under 5 to be legal. That one is worth grabbing.

Excellent little Cub

Thanks Reb! Yea Dillon that was a fun ride. So illegal riding on that bridge, I could be jailed for 10 years for all the crosssings I've done on it.

Hell yea, i put 10's of thousands on mine, rolled the 4 digit odometer twice

> John Maxson Wrote:

> Yea its crazy how much people ask for them ad they think they have gold

> in their hands but once in a while I see them for under 1k and in good

> condition. The glitches they have are the kicker will slip unless you

> use it evetyday to keep the clutch wet, and the electric starters are a

> bitch because the thumb switch runs thru the neutral switch so it looses

> current to actuate the starter. Could never get mine to work. I changed

> out my front sprocket for one tooth larger and gained 8 mph, shifts

> smoother across the powerband. Al else stock.

wow this is good to know! the neutral switch thing, i never thought about it but that is exactly what is wrong with my dad's.

also could benefit from the sprocket upgrade for sure.

i had a '69 that i bought in real bad shape, i fixed it up and got it running but i could never get the electrical system to charge the battery, when i moved i sold it to a guy at a huge loss and i'm pretty sure it wound up in a scrap yard. When it ran though, it flew, 50 mph pegged the speedo.

A couple years ago my dad got a wild hair that he wanted to own one so i bought another one a 1981 (basket case, again) from a friend that had been taken apart and mixed with 2 other bikes in bins... argh, took me almost a year to piece that thing back together but its a lot of fun. Not nearly as fast though, barely does 40. I've done some little stuff to try to pep it up but part of it is definitely the gearing issue. You shift it into third gear right away and it just screams. Probably could go one or 2 teeth on the front sprocket.

It has driven me nuts that the e-start doesn't work because i've tried everything but never thought about that neutral switch.. duh.

also: drATV has all the parts for these, but they do have a hell of a lot of parts, like 3 mopeds worth of parts to build a c70. you can find a lot of the same stuff cheaper on Ebay or whatever but they do a good job of only stocking stuff that actually fits the US models. or saying when and how it doesn't quite fit.

i think 700-800 would be a pretty fair price for a nice clean one, i've got like 600+ into my dad's and a whole heck of a lot of work but its very well dialed in. been on a couple 200+ mile journeys and it doesn't miss a beat,

Originally mine did a flat 40 mph until I went one tooth larger. The shift range is right on now. I think they went lower gearing to match the US standard for waist size. I brought the sprocket and chain at the Honda dealer and right after the bike had a strange surge at high speeds. I noticed that the chain tension varied as I turned the wheel and rode it that way for some years until finally I pulled the sprocket and measured the center hole to be .010 off center. Brought another sprocket from dratv.com and problem solved. They are my first look for stuff I need for it, which is pretty rare. Most parts are available as genuine Honda from one source or another. Any aftermarket parts ended up being trash.(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account