My first ride

So, I finally got my 77 Batavus HS50 running. It's my 1st moped. I have ridden and built motorized bicycles before, but this is just a different beast all together. I am absolutely in love with this old bird. I live in a rustic village in western Massachusetts... and it's what we call "leaf-peeper season"... where all the tourists from everywhere fill our little village up to look at the change of the fall leaves. At least half of them are on motorcycles. You know, the big bloated mopeds with no pedals? Lol. Seriously though, I've gotten to know a lot of bikers with my motorized bikes and they all just love you as long as it's got two wheels and a gas motor. Well, I know I had a MASSIVE grin on my face the whole time... plus there may have been some "whooping" and happy screaming from me too... Got her up to 25mph (that's the top for this model) on flat ground.... and the bikers just kept smiling right back at me. One may have giggled... but I am just so happy and excited and damn if it wasnt worth all the work! So I had beautiful scenery, a massive smile on my face and the absolute pride in fixing it myself. A lot of you folks chimed in and helped me along the path. Thanks :-) Now I want to find another junker and fix it up :-D I have 4 kids who will all need one eventually ;-)

Screenshot_20191020-143306_Video Player.jpg

Re: My first ride

Watch out riding on those fallen leaves . They can be just as slick as marbles under the wheels .

Good you're hooked . ;)

Can you plz drive by my house!

This is fucking adorable, I’m sorry dude

Shelburne Falls sure is purdy

Be careful, they are babe magnets!

Laughing at the adorable! Thanks !!!

Might get her up to 30mph if you find an aftermarket pipe that has an expansion chamber and make sure it will bolt up /fit correctly.

Dirty30 Dillon /

This is a truly wholesome post. Batavus' are super solid stock bikes. IF you wanna mess with one, get something else and leave that one at 25

Josiah Radebaugh /

Nice to see you got it running well! Would recommend you leave this bike stock and find something else to performance. Do you plan on resurrecting the original tank?

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Watch out riding on those fallen leaves . They can be just as slick as

> marbles under the wheels .

>

> Good you're hooked . ;)

This is great advice for him,PD! And everyone else here except maybe desert dwellers.

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> Nice to see you got it running well! Would recommend you leave this bike

> stock and find something else to performance. Do you plan on

> resurrecting the original tank?

That IS the original tank. It was pristine on the inside but the outside was a wreck. So I peeled what was left of the sticker off , washed it up and painted it.

I don't plan on doing anything to her aside from keep her running and finish the paint job. My 11 year old son rode her around like a bicycle today making engine noises. Hes hooked too lol(edited)

as much as it pains me, i have to agree with don

watch those wet leaves, man.

they also hide potholes which will fuck your day up badly

oh, and get a full face helmet

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

If for some reason you would EVER want to performance the old dutchie, probably compelled by some omnipotent power, I would recommend an MLM as it one of the few options and either a 13.13 or an MLM intake and a bigger carb. Beware the dutch woes. Or you could take out one of the restrictor plates inside the pipe and probably go somewhere around 28. Possibly do what I did with my stocker that was already running on the richer side. I pulled off the entire chamber of the pipe and GoT mYsElF a HaRlEy. SOund dope and pulls to 30mph with me on it. But in all honesty, have some fun, you got yourself a winner.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I took mine when my pipe was finally shot I had it banged up buy a Korean guy how do you put a dog leg in it and a small hole and a dimple near the front of the pipe with the whole facing towards the front and I swear it gave me 10 miles an hour

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> as much as it pains me, i have to agree with don

>

> watch those wet leaves, man.

>

> oh, and get a full face helmet

Well,Potr, if it makes you feel any better,you actually agreed with PD's good warning about the leaves. Glad you added the pothole warning also.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

But the suspension is really good on those you'll bend your rim on the pothole but it will Bounce U in the air for two feet and come down straight

Josiah Radebaugh /

The forks have a bit of a weak spot though... If you just want it to do 30, all you have to do is pull out the restricter plate (little hump with a small pipe on it) and put the back cone on.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account