Smiley

Jeffrey Strichart /

Anybody ever have a Smiley? They were made by Demm and had 50cc Morini engines. Mine would cruise at 35 all day long. Only a couple of others had them. Mine was red. Woody Dougherty had a yellow one and Joe Bonnanno had a blue one. Joe's would do 40 stock. I think it was 2hp. It was strange because he never put oil in the gas. He put it into a hole on the engine. I never figured that out. If it was oil injection it did not have a bottle. I loved that Smiley. It represented freedom for a fourteen year old kid in 1978. We rode EVERYWHERE. No driver's license and no tag required. They were simpler (and better) times imo. Oh youth where did you go.

1977-Demm-Smily.jpg

Re: Smiley

Jeffrey Strichart /

Mine looked exactly like the picture above. If anybody has one they would like to sell... Must be red! Not for modding. Just nostalgia.(edited)

Fuckin' woody dougherty, now thats a name i haven't heard in a while! How's he doin? Did you see him last summer at the class reuinion? I heard Pam had cancer, hope they are doing well. If you see him tell him Crackers says hello, he'll know what you're talking about.

So you owned or your friends owned Demm Smileys with a Morini engines and they did 35 or 40 without modications? hmmm.....

Jeffrey Strichart /

> Don M Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So you owned or your friends owned Demm Smileys with a Morini engines

> and they did 35 or 40 without modications? hmmm.....

Here we go again.

YES THEY DID.

Jeffrey Strichart /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> Fuckin' woody dougherty, now thats a name i haven't heard in a while!

> How's he doin? Did you see him last summer at the class reuinion? I

> heard Pam had cancer, hope they are doing well. If you see him tell him

> Crackers says hello, he'll know what you're talking about.

No I have not seen Woody for probably forty years. I live in Pennsylvania now. I was not at the reunion. Sorry to hear about Pam.

I don't think I ever met you bitd. Are you a Ridge Rat like me?

Overpriced Parts /

> Don M Wrote:

> So you owned or your friends owned Demm Smileys with a Morini engines

> and they did 35 or 40 without modications? hmmm.....

My Italavo I bought brand new late 70s with a one speed Morini engine did 40 mph stock, some one speed Morinis came with the very high compression head that barely had any combustion chamber in it whatsoever, basically only room for the spark plug to go in at a angle,

I saved the head from that bike for 40 some years and just recently traded it a few years ago to a friend with some cash for a clean magnum seat, he got like a 6 mph gain the moment he put it on with no re-jetting or nothing,

The guys name is Dakota and he’s here on MA from time to time, maybe he could take a picture of how it looked inside though he would have to remove it and I doubt he would cause he has a stock bike that can keep up with 35-40 mph traffic,

Jeffrey Strichart /

HAHA DON M now go on home your mommy is calling you.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account