Mobylette 50v

So I just bought a mobylette 50V from 1978. It has less than 500 miles, at least that is what the odometer says. And amazingly it seems to be all "there". Further the condition seems to be amazing.

I would like to not only get it running but make it run well with limited trouble for the future. The question is what should I change out to produce this, or are these so trouble prone that I should select a different moped.

It seems as though most folks say to change the carb. What do you recommend that will bolt directly up and not need a great deal of modification.

Is there anything else that should be changed right off to help in the future?

I know a bit about small engines but not much about these.

Thanks for the help,

Ken

C0D5E7D5-675C-4FE4-B290-409C04F336A2.jpeg
D6ABCB14-EAD7-437F-8422-ADF80262C81F.jpeg

Re: Mobylette 50v

Wow, thats clean!

Seeing as it's all stock i'd probably just clean the carburettor and not change it.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wow, thats clean!

>

> Seeing as it's all stock i'd probably just clean the carburettor and not

> change it.

Agreed . Run what you have .

Wow, beautiful bike, check fuel tank for rust, dump old gas and fire it up, I bet it runs out, if it will not idle or something clean the carb, but given the condition, I would say the less you mess with the better off you will be. If it freaks you out crate it up and ship it to me! :)

Close, missing tank badges, air pump, and chrome strip that goes down the top seam of the gas tank.

Technically also missing the associated baskets for that rack but good luck finding those.

Beautiful bike though. A SHA can be put on w/ swapping the intake. If you don't want to remove anything you'll have to run it w/o a choke as the gurtner uses a weird connection to the choke cable that won't work on the SHA.

Any idea what the chrome clip at the top side of the gas tank is for?

Further I got a nice service manual from Sunday morning, but now I need an owners manual. The only one I can find is from the same place and it is so blurry it gives my a headache to try to read it.

Ken

That is a helmet lock.

I had the same bike, a '77 model, for yrs, will help out any way I can, just sold it this yr. :(

066.jpg

I had a 1979 same color and it was very dependable and peppy fast with all stock. The Gurt is a simple carb. If you have to clean it try not to take the cables off of it as they take some technicality to get right. The most finicky is setting the timing but its easy if you study the manual.

That bike looks to have been stored inside, and with the mileage indicated, has prob never been touched, carb/timing etc. Try and run it before you go messing with anything, you could well be pleasantly surprised. Def use fresh fuel though, anything in there now is sludge. Dump it, slosh some raw gas in there a bit and dump, add your pre-mix. Maybe put a small amount of fogging oil in the cyl and turn over by hand a few times before trying to start.(edited)

So a neighbor just came over and asked what I would take for the moped. Fair value estimate?

Ken

If it was running $500-$800, assuming it is titled if you need it in your state, non running, whatever you can get, if you were near me I would offer $200.00, just because of what it is, and knowing I could have it running pretty easy. I got $750.00 for this one, needing a bit of work. Ran rode, titled and plated. Lights were wonky.

102.jpg

Love the paint on the leg shields! Looks a lot better than my black ones.

26DF823C-F30F-4BE9-9510-F22EB51DD2D4.jpeg

Thanks man, I had never seen red ones before, I had them painted, they were orange. I actually like the black ones too, did they come that color? I really like the chrome trim as well.(edited)

I didn't even know about the leg fairings till recently. I was able to find these locally. The only piece I didn't get was the bracket that runs across the bottom of the leg shields. Only thing I would like to find for this bike is an original tire pump. Do you know the exact color you had yours painted?(edited)

You can get aftermarket chrome edge trim, just have to shop a bit because some of the car door edge pre-folded ones are not folded tight enough and will keep separating from the shield.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Thanks man, I had never seen red ones before, I had them painted, they

> were orange. I actually like the black ones too, did they come that

> color? I really like the chrome trim as well.

> Tyler Syx Wrote:

> I didn't even know about the leg fairings till recently. I was able to

> find these locally. The only piece I didn't get was the bracket that

> runs across the bottom of the leg shields. Only thing I would like to

> find for this bike is an original tire pump. Do you know the exact color

> you had yours painted?

It was color matched to the bike, took a scraping off the inside of one of the side covers.

that bike needs a spark plug wire coming out of the coil and tank badges to boot...a total basket case.

I'll give ya 50 bux

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account