UPS Magnum Refurbishment

john cervini /
20191111_130931.jpg
20191111_130924.jpg
20191106_182155.jpg

I recently got my dream bike that I've wanted since I was 15. It's complete and unmolested. The original exhaust header is intact with no holes which is a first for me. I got it running yesterday and took it completely apart today for cleaning and polishing. I will be adding to the post as I make progress. Stay tuned!

Re: UPS Magnum Refurbishment

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I love to see a proper restoration. Can’t wait to see it when it’s done.

Can't wait to see this one done! Love the look of these magnums. I can't recall, is it all original?

(Sidenote- Did you happen across a sprocket for the maxi I got from you? I can't seem to find it)

john cervini /

Red foreman, I will message you

Before you go any futher with that motor, block/plug up openings leading inside. Like case vent, stator area, intake and exhaust. Get enough kerosene to fill a sprayer bottle (about a quart) and spray that thing down. Let soak for a day or two whilst misting periodically to keep moist or wet. After that get some L.a.'s Awsome Cleaner from dollar store and spray on full strength and let sit fow a few hours. Re apply periodically to keep wet then rinse with hot water and long bristle brush. There may be a few stubborn spots that need a second application.

The kerosene will break down grease, oil and chain lube. The Awsome Cleaner will remove all of it after the kerosene has done its job.(edited)

If you swap out those shift dampeners, document it please ;).

Dirty30 Dillon /

There are numerous walkthroughs for shift pucks, such as the wiki article.

Shift puck replacement takes an afternoon, so long as you have the needed tools.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

Puck replacement takes like 30 minutes at most, not a whole afternoon.

> ***Vanilla Thunder*** Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Puck replacement takes like 30 minutes at most, not a whole afternoon.

I agree. But having the correct tools knowledge and experience makes all the difference. Couple hours at most(edited)

Overpriced Parts /

> ***Vanilla Thunder*** Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Puck replacement takes like 30 minutes at most, not a whole afternoon.

Yeah if you bang the lock washer against the crank, use a piston stop impact driver, don’t talk nothing, destroying bearings on crank end and possibly bending the crank end Instead of crimping it with pliers, ya don't re shim, don’t inspect everything! Including Bearings and or reshim and blueprint everything in tranny including where the roller/thrust plate shimming,

ya don’t smooth burs on mating surfaces so you don’t have leaks on clutch cover gasket,

It takes basically 30 minutes to drain oil, remove spring to kickstand and clean Engine mating surfaces, I can’t stand people who I like you who lie about time!

I wouldn’t buy a bike from you if my life depended on it from you, if you believe 30 minutes (not counting your shady history) but from what you say is true it be like a $20 service charge to do a shift dampener change, Including road test everything came back perfect like what you claim!

I blueprint a Za50 build so it lasts for years with factory manual and factory shimming tools do you? I would never do all that work for 20$(edited)

john cervini /
20191112_112019.jpg

I will be replacing the pucks as always. Getting things cleaned up.

Going to flip the clutch on this one?

john cervini /

Yes, going to try it on the stock setup and see how it does. I've only flipped on kitted bikes before.

Awesome- I am curious how much of a difference it makes. Maybe I'll try it on mine if it does.

Can you take pics as you go? I have found a few text-only walkthroughs, but the only one with photos was killed by photobucket.

john cervini /

I will be taking pictures but I'm waiting to place a big order with treats when they have their next sale so it will be a while before I do the pucks and clutch flip.

john cervini /
20191111_112814.jpg
20191111_110336.jpg

Does anyone know what the extra plugs and wires are for? The wiring harness is different than any silver or red magnum that I have owned.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Turn signals?

john cervini /

That's what I was thinking. I vaguely remember a similar setup on the Magnum Ltd I had. I just searched and found that signals were an option for the ups magnum. Apparently they used a combination battery/rectifier/flasher box that mounted under the side cover. I would love to add that option but I doubt I will find an original battery.

Jansen Hanzer /

cheap skate only ordering during sales

support a moped business

you are a scam

ok thank you

john cervini /
20191116_093109.jpg

john cervini /
20191116_100704.jpg

The paint is almost perfect! This is after a simple wash.

^Very nice, wax the hell out of everything while it is apart.

john cervini /
20191130_112728.jpg
20191130_112702.jpg

Waiting for my treats order but was able to start waxing.

You might try using a clay bar before waxing to remove light spots, scratches and imperfections.

I know that waiting feeling- Im at a standstill until mine arrives. Paint is looking great!

john cervini /
20191201_084339.jpg
20191201_084631.jpg

Replaced my pucks and flipped second. The original pucks were in surprisingly good shape.

GEEZ is this ever a sweet build

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Love it!

john cervini /
20191201_121720.jpg
20191201_120518.jpg

New ignition switch and key from treatland.

If you're going to replace the pucks(recommended), it's .... dumb to not flip the 2nd clutch while you're in there. Even with a stock setup, it's a lot nicer.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account