>

> > lasts 10,000 hours on regulated 12v will not last at 17v unregulated

> for

>

> > long.

>

> most "bulb" led assemblies can take a range of voltage, and state as

> much on their descriptions.

not without a driver they don't. those 6v smd leds have no regulator and are really voltage sensitive. those bulbs in the tail light are not the type you are talking about. they are a motorcycle led's. and did you read the diagram with all the diodes in it?

Re: How to wire your brake light for LEDs

> el pollo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > ken gilbert Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > el pollo Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > ?????????? you need a regulator to run leds. yes I know they are

>

> > bright

>

> >

>

> > > as hell at 17v unregulated. they won't last long. the led bulb that

>

> >

>

> > > lasts 10,000 hours on regulated 12v will not last at 17v unregulated

>

> > for

>

> >

>

> > > long.

>

> >

>

> > most "bulb" led assemblies can take a range of voltage, and state as

>

> > much on their descriptions.

>

> not without a driver they don't. those 6v smd leds have no regulator and

> are really voltage sensitive. those bulbs in the tail light are not the

> type you are talking about. they are a motorcycle led's. and did you

> read the diagram with all the diodes in it?

your reply was referencing a 12v system.

there are thousands of 12v 1156/1157 LED replacement bulbs on amazon for cheap money that take 12-24vdc all day (and state as much in their descriptions).

> your reply was referencing a 12v system.

>

> there are thousands of 12v 1156/1157 LED replacement bulbs on amazon for

> cheap money that take 12-24vdc all day (and state as much in their

> descriptions).

have you tried running 12v auto bulbs at 24v. you have no idea what you are talking about. have you even done a conversion.

> el pollo Wrote:

> > your reply was referencing a 12v system.

>

> >

>

> > there are thousands of 12v 1156/1157 LED replacement bulbs on amazon

> for

>

> > cheap money that take 12-24vdc all day (and state as much in their

>

> > descriptions).

>

> have you tried running 12v auto bulbs at 24v. you have no idea what you

> are talking about. have you even done a conversion.

And you just like to hear yourself talk. Go start your own thread on a MOTORCYCLE FORUM.

no answers no answers no answers. what is the diode in the tail light doing besides bringing down the voltage 0.7v. if I'm such and idiot and you are so smart why can't you answer this moped question?

> el pollo Wrote:

> no answers no answers no answers. what is the diode in the tail light

> doing besides bringing down the voltage 0.7v. if I'm such and idiot and

> you are so smart why can't you answer this moped question?

Since you like to copy & paste and your googler is broken.....diodes are commonly used to acquire d.c. from a.c. voltage. Honda used them on many models of the Express.

Screenshot_2019-12-02-15-40-20.png

(edited)

but its already run through a diode in the 6v r/r he's running. I even posted the wiring diagram. so how is it turning ac to dc. another person who means well but does not understand not a troll. diodes have one more property you don't know about. the voltage drop in a diode is 0,7v when it runs dc to dc. there are 4 diodes in the r/r bridge rectifier. it already has passed through a diode and is dc.

the answer is its not needed and is a mistake because it will run better with out it.

and you always want the biggest cap you can get for cheap.(edited)

A resistor of the proper value will drop voltage too.

neither resistor or diode should be hot glued into the tail light. 6v dc from the r/r is already 6v dc. it is the voltage 6v motorcycle smd leds should run. unlike a resistor the diode voltage drop is 0.7v no matter what the voltage is.

and you always want the biggest cap for cheap.

Tell ya what, I'm working on putting together a basket case Pacer SS moped. When I get around to it I might try to do a conversion of some sort to run modern, brighter lights WITHOUT being invasive to the wiring and components on said machine. It's all a.c. unregulated current with no battery. When that time comes I will share and ask questions of all here on M.A. ....including you pollo.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> el pollo Wrote:

> neither resistor or diode should be hot glued into the tail light. 6v dc

> from the r/r is already 6v dc. it is the voltage 6v motorcycle smd leds

> should run. unlike a resistor the diode voltage drop is 0.7v no matter

> what the voltage is.

>

> and you always want the biggest cap for cheap.

The OP is not running a rectifier, he is running a 6V AC regulator, and then using diodes to modulate to DC at the emitter housing.

I repeat: the diode is at the tailight as the system itself is regulated 6V AC. There is a difference between a regulator, and a regulator/rectifier.

Double D ^^ has reminded me of something I would add to this over all thread in general. Because so many European mopeds were made in so many different countries most all vary in wiring, circuits, components and method. You've absolutely got to look at each and every wiring diagram on a per app basis. There is NO one method fits all!

Thoughts on using something like this :

AC-DC Converter 6/12/24V to 12V Full-bridge Rectifier Filter Power Supply Module

This product is a streamlined rectifier filter module, widely used in small rectifier output filter, mainly used in the power requirements of the electrical is not very high, the power module design can be put into a smaller small electrical box, the circuit Board above the design of power indicator light, easy to turn on the power supply can be intuitive to know the power status.

Product Features:

AC to DC power conversion module

1N4007 bridge rectifier filter

AC input voltage [6V-32V] (capacitance 50V470UF)

Output voltage: 12V DC

full acdc.png

LINK^

That^ unit will put out only 1 amp or 12 watts . Just sayin' . ;)

I know electronics well and I see no use for that module. why? phil r I see no use for that board. what can you possibly do with it? it has no regulator and if you have kept up with this thread the cap is the wrong value.

> el pollo Wrote:

> > your reply was referencing a 12v system.

>

> >

>

> > there are thousands of 12v 1156/1157 LED replacement bulbs on amazon

> for

>

> > cheap money that take 12-24vdc all day (and state as much in their

>

> > descriptions).

>

> have you tried running 12v auto bulbs at 24v. you have no idea what you

> are talking about. have you even done a conversion.

AUXLIGHT 2057 1157 2357 7528 2057A 1157A 2357A LED Bulbs Brilliant Red, Ultra Bright 57-SMD LED Replacement for Brake/Tail Lights, Blinker Lights, Turn Signal/Parking or Running Lights (Pack of 2)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RQCK9VK/

read the specs, asshole.

not an asshole, the led bulbs I use are 12v auto and cost 1.40$ as opposed to $14 for a pack of 2.

you do not need a bulb with a driver if you are already regulated like in this post. you do not need a diode if you are already regulated like in this post. you do not need to put the cap in the tail light. you always want to use the biggest chepo cap you can find. 1,000uf is the wrong value.

I still want to know what anyone would use that board?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Regulated AC =/= Regulated DC

The OP does not have rectified power at 6VDC, he has REGULATED 6VAC. Hence the need for rectification at the housing.

do not understand. where did a 6v ac regulator get into the mix. aren't all motorcycles and mopeds required to follow federal law and run a battery to keep the tail lights on for a minimum of 20 minutes.

don't almost all mopeds run ac headlights and dc tail?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> el pollo Wrote:

> do not understand. where did a 6v ac regulator get into the mix. aren't

> all motorcycles and mopeds required to follow federal law and run a

> battery to keep the tail lights on for a minimum of 20 minutes.

>

> don't almost all mopeds run ac headlights and dc tail?

The vast majority of mopeds don't have batteries and operate SOLELY on AC current generated at the magneto.

The OP regulated his AC current to over voltage spikes and blowing out bulbs. Very common. I have 12V regulators on a lot of bikes that are running AC ignition and lighting.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > el pollo Wrote:

>

> > don't almost all mopeds run ac headlights and dc tail?

>

> The vast majority of mopeds don't have batteries and operate SOLELY on

> AC current generated at the magneto.

all bikes that have a magneto run and operate solely on ac generated at the magneto.

>

> The OP regulated his AC current to over voltage spikes and blowing out

> bulbs. Very common. I have 12V regulators on a lot of bikes that are

> running AC ignition and lighting.

again how do you know he is running an ac regulator and not an r/r.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> el pollo Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

>

> > > el pollo Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > don't almost all mopeds run ac headlights and dc tail?

>

> >

>

> > The vast majority of mopeds don't have batteries and operate SOLELY on

>

> > AC current generated at the magneto.

>

> all bikes that have a magneto run and operate solely on ac generated at

> the magneto.

>

> >

>

> > The OP regulated his AC current to over voltage spikes and blowing out

>

> > bulbs. Very common. I have 12V regulators on a lot of bikes that are

>

> > running AC ignition and lighting.

>

> again how do you know he is running an ac regulator and not an r/r.

A) As stated in your previous post, modern bikes REQUIRE DC power to peripherals which include the use of a battery. And while all bikes generate AC from a rotary magnetos, mopeds (from the manfacturer) solely use AC straight from the magneto to power every circuit on the bike. You would know this if you owned one.

B) I know because he stated he had a regulator, not a regulator/rectifier. You assumed that regulator meant r/r.

A: got it. ac tail ac headlight. not all mopeds are wired this way. many run ac head light dc tail light. so the op is regulated ac to the tail and the diode is the rectifier. still no need to hot glue it inside the tail light. he could have put this part anywhere after the regulator and his flashing at idle is because the cap is too small.

B: you are right.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> el pollo Wrote:

> A: got it. ac tail ac headlight. not all mopeds are wired this way. many

> run ac head light dc tail light. so the op is regulated ac to the tail

> and the diode is the rectifier. still no need to hot glue it inside the

> tail light. he could have put this part anywhere after the regulator and

> his flashing at idle is because the cap is too small.

>

> B: you are right.

A) 95% of mopeds (meaning, vintage, pedal mopeds, not modern scooters) do not have a battery. Puch, Tomos, Motobecane, Peugeot, Minarelli, etc.

A: good info to know. looked at all the puch wiring diagrams. they use an ac regulator. you are right about this and I got it wrong. thought it was same as scoots, its not.

that does not mean you shouldn't use scoot parts to repair do repairs.

ok, lets correct the op's post and let everyone know how to change the tail to led's. if you have an early puch that runs ac to the tail you will need a diode to make dc then you regulate. some led bulbs have a internal regulator like ken gilbert uses. easy but more expensive then chepo led's. another way is to use a half wave rectifier regulator. no diode needed and you can use chepo led's. later puch have an ac regulator. in this case you splice the diode close the regulator. no hot glue needed and you can use chepo led's. and of course because you want to minimize the flashing at idle use the largest cheap cap you can find. 63v22,000uf costs 2.79$ shipping included. it mounts anywhere after the diode or the r/r + terminal. that means on the frame not in the tail light. there is no reason to take your tail light apart to put in led lights. they come in standard sizes. skip the glue gun on this repair.

what diode should you use? the op says 5a. 5a at 6v is 30 watts. cheapo tail leds use 1w. the ones ken gilbert uses is 2w. that means max is 4w total for the tail. 2a diode at 6v is enough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-HER208-2A-1000V-Rectifiers-Diode-NEW/142062769227?hash=item211399d44b:g:-8cAAOSwqu9VLxZR

Dirty30 Dillon /

I think the OP is locally storing the diode inside the taillight housing to avoid modifying the harness and also to keep from cluttering the bike's harness elsewhere.

I am fairly certain the OP used silicone to reduce vibration failure, but mentioned hot glue as an alternative to that.

Again, I think that having an exposed diode/cap hanging out by the ignition was something he was trying to avoid. Without stock sidecovers (which are frequently missing or removed from mopeds) there is no place to sequester large caps or sensitive electronics, so maybe the OP is trying to conceal the small additions outside of the stock harness, while not add components where there may not be room.

not by the ignition but on the frame. the big cap is smaller than my dick. modern electronics are amazing. you can easily find some place on or in the frame to hide it.

Brad William /

Drinking

In order to feel

Thinking

Reinventing the wheel

Kicking up mischief

And feeding the fire

Jesus fucking Christ people. Does no one ever bother to search this forum for answers? Been here how many times? Buy a fucking 2.5 watt 12vac led from home depot for a few bucks,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-20-Watt-Equivalence-T4-G4-Bi-Pin-Base-Landscape-LED-Light-Bulb-Bright-White-3000K-BP20G4-830-LED-HDRP/309790432, it has all electronics that you've generated this shitstorm over (unnecessarily) once again, onboard it's own little circuit board. NO EXTRA CHARGE!!

Jamb that fucker in your tailight with minor adaptation (no electronics needed) and ride the fucker. Less heartache. More fun.

Jesus fucking Christ people. Does no one ever bother to search this forum for answers? Been here how many times? Buy a fucking 2.5 watt 12vac led from home depot for a few bucks,

ken gilbert answered why you do not need to modify anything, plug and play bulbs with an internal driver, no need mod anything. you are missing the physics. when you run dc you need the cap.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account