What's the crappiest/scariest/hokiest/dangerousest mod/fix you have ever seen?

People ride some shit yo. Bonus tacos for photos.

Re: What's the crappiest/scariest/hokiest/dangerousest mod/fix you have ever seen?

You forgot to specify mopeds, ha!

xVphhkE.jpg

Re: What's the crappiest/scariest/hokiest/dangerousest mod/fix you have ever seen?

Picked this up a few months ago. It's a Garellibela.

Huh?

A previous owner took a Garelli front end and hacked on a Carabela rear end. The thing came with a tote full of parts, looking like 3 Garelli engines in states of disrepair, no extra carburators, some fenders, 2 Garelli tanks and swing arms, the original foot rest and 3 chain guards, the Carabela engine, swing arm, chain guard, and more.

Here's what all I discovered:

The Garelli petcock broke, so he slapped on a Carabela tank and petcock, bolting it at a single point THROUGH one of the holes in the spark plug coil.

At some point, the engine must have died, so he removed the Garelli engine and decided to try the Carabela, a Mexican, Minarelli clone with some but not all interchangeable Minarelli parts.

The Minarelli chain is on the left, and the Garelli on the right, so the swing arm had to be swapped to accommodate the brake and chain. As the chains are the same gauge, he just flipped the wheel upside down/backwards.

However the chain would hit the frame or swing arm, so the engine AND the shocks needed to be lowered or extended. The engine by just a couple inches, the shocks by 8 inches.

The bars added to the shocks are only connected by one bolt, so any large bump at any speed would probably fold up and cause a wreck.

I would also think that he would have had to get a longer chain, but I didn't see any EXTRA master links, however, I did see a half link.

Minarelli engines often have a ceramic resistor in the tail light that grounds when you hit the brake, preventing stalling. If you don't have the resistor, you can always just pull the wires to the brake light micro switches and connect them, making your brake lights either on all the time or off all the time, I can't remember.

With the rear wheel sitting 8 inches lower, the kickstand wasn't long enough, so he pulled one from another bike AND added another 1.5 inches to it. Since the spring didn't line up on the new kickstand, I think it goes up the center, he grabbed a rubber bungee cord, hooked one end to the luggage rack, the other to a newly drilled hole on his kickstand extension piece, then added a zip tie to make sure it didn't fall off the kickstand.

Since the rear wheel was moved back an inch or so, the fender would rub the wheel, so he moved the fender back by adding a metal concrete lag screw tap? and a 2 inch bolt.

Finally, instead of using the kill switch on the handlebar, (it's possible that it's bad) he connected a toggle switch to one of the wires from the engine and ran it to one of the wires in the tail light.

A wiring diagram for Garelli's suggest 3 wires going to the tail light, but the wire under the fender only has 2, plus his extra toggle switch wire.

Finally, it's got a Jawa seat and the exhaust bracket is missing

I'm just amazed that that the guy I got it from and the guy that made all the modifications kept the footrest, chain guards, gas tank, and swing arm. As usual, "it ran when parked!"

I had some tires, tubes, and a Tractor Supply tail light lying around, then bought about $20 worth of nuts and bolts at the hardware store and have been putting it back proper this week. It's still going to need a petcock, tail light wires, the bracket that holds the headlight switch onto the handlebar, chain, and, of course, the entire powerplant. I have a Batavus parts bike in my shed and I'm going remove it's kickstand, as I noticed that it's spring goes up the center and it's still there.

Screenshot_2019-08-19-19-26-10.png

That carabella engine is titght. Do not toss

Lol other than the shock extenders and the concrete lag, that is all shit i have done before. Its just mopeds

The motor is spoken for. I have a trade in the works for a nearly complete Garelli motor that should go on this bike eventually.(edited)

Captain Janeway /

Frankenbike.

Joe Schuitema /

First pic is a welded bolt for a rear brake stay, Second pic is a modified exhaust clamp to extend the front brake stay nub out. Third pic shows a thin wall copper pipe being used as a front wheel spacer. These were all on the same bike.

DSC05582.JPG
DSC05588.JPG
DSC05585.JPG

Those are actually respectable Joe^^

Could use that clamp to install a go pro mount or somethin.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Harley shortster it was a Harley engine slapped onto a Cushman frame it won award but nobody would ever have enough balls to ride it with 10 inch tires

Captain Janeway /

I would think that copper pipe is going to grind into little pieces even using it as a spacer. way too soft a metal.

Maitland Of the Loin /

Harold (old Creature) lost his master link and zip tied his chain together one time

so my buddy's 90's chevy 2500 4x4 broke down a few months ago and he called me to see if i could use my trailer to get him home.

conveniently i had just dropped off a car so i already had my truck (04 sierra 1500 V6 ! ) and trailer... so i said uhhh sure.

so we get there. his truck still drove but he said it was overheating and he couldnt drive it home.

he drives it on the trailer, it lifts the back end of the trailer up and the ball lifts up the back end of the sierra pulling the trailer...

well he keeps going and the ball hitch falls out of the trailer.

SOOOOO besides overloading the v6 pulling this trailer and 5000lb truck, the ball didnt want to stay in the trailer lol

We took a THICKKK ratchet strap and wrapped it around where the ball hitch comes out of the truck and goes into the trailer, must have wrapped it about 20 times... made the drive to his place with no issues, just slow haha

it was pretty sketchy, every bump we hit

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I would think that copper pipe is going to grind into little pieces even

> using it as a spacer. way too soft a metal.

No grinding gonna go on in that application . That spacer will stay in place and not turn a single turn . It's being pressed between the lower fork leg and the inner brearing race . Neither of which spins . The copper will do the intended job nicely . ;)

Dirty30 Dillon /

The copper pipe is not terrible, won't grind down, but would deform if over-tightened and side loaded.

I actually think that exh clamp brake stay is hilariously ingenious.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I actually think that exh clamp brake stay is hilariously ingenious.

Yeah I think im going to keep this idea for a rainy day

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

the thing is beef, it ain't going anywhere. i'd trust it a lot more than that weld.

Captain Janeway /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> The copper pipe is not terrible, won't grind down, but would deform if

> over-tightened and side loaded.

>

Given what the rest of the mess looks like, I figured it would be wiggling around lol. He was creative, I'll give him that.

Chicago, summer of 2013. Saw this bike at the P$ retirement party. It was only my second or third rally and my first in a major city. Kept thinking it was going to collapse on itself.

2013-06-2915_18_39.jpg

I see it has the "repair kit" aka roll of duct tape on the left bar, nothing to worry about.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Classic: Old Derbi FR bars snapped and welded back together, butt joint style. Then watching P8R snap the other side off and ride with the throttle side in his hand

^classic derbi!

Why haven’t mlm made some nice handlebars for derbi?

Not scary, but definitely crapy and hokey...zip tied speedo cable on hobbit(edited)

20191204_125510.jpg

8C346797-03FD-4258-B509-E8BD637BB47C.jpeg

A5F3C240-A554-44BE-824C-B467BB12DDE3.jpeg

Can’t remember the name of this suit case moped, but it was sketchy!

6D1B6F58-0023-4A8A-8C32-E8716DB7699D.jpeg

I believe thats a "Di Blasi" folding moped, and they are actually quite a reputable maker of folding mopeds.

Yeah! That’s it. This one had dents in the little frame bars and wallered out pivot holes. Super loosey goosey

> Maitland Of the Loin Wrote:

> Harold (old Creature) lost his master link and zip tied his chain

> together one time

We used a soda can pop tab once on rani's DT. it worked til it didnt and totalled the case

> Master D. Baiter Wrote:

>

Where did he go hahaha

Good question I was really excited to see his FA50 pull 70 mph ;)

I've seen the zip tie trick for a lost master link done before. Worked much better than I thought it would.

A buddy of mine uses a Campbell's soup can and hose clamps to couple his headers to his muffler. It frequently blasts out and he keeps replacing it with new soup cans. Refuses to work out a permanent solution.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account