Does anyone like a quiet moped?

So I am weird but I actually like a quiet moped. Anyone else?

And I don't mind sacrificing a few MPH for it. Crazy?

Any threads on quieting down a moped?

Ken

Re: Does anyone like a quiet moped?

i just bailed on my fast bike build because it's so damn loud i couldnt even jump on to tune it. only time i can work on stuff is after "bedtime" and i'm not tryna open that can of awake back up.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I like quiet stuff to some extent. I have a stock Grande and it is super quiet. THat being said I don't mind loud stuff it it HAS to be. I was at CBBG9 and there was a guy with a moby with an open stinger and it was just torture to be around. So, I like quiet when the can be, but loud isn't bad;it has limitations.

I do, most stock exhausts are very quiet. The Motobecane can be opened up a bit inside, see wiki for how, and it is still very acceptable noise wise, stock Hobbit is very quiet as well, another tip if this is what you are going for, keep the stock air-box, lots of moped noise comes from the intake.

Surprise is the best element of attack . ;)

How the heck are you suppose to sneak up on anybody with a loud moped ? LOL

My FA50 is so quiet that some folks ask if it runs when it's sitting right in front of them idling .

Yes . I like quiet .

Angry Hipster /

Put me in the quiet camp as well. I had quite a search looking for a hi torque top end so I can create power at low rpm and not have to switch from the stock pipe.

Stephen is right about the air box too. But I would recommend losing the restrictors in the tube.

I did own a 70cc dmp kit with 15mm carb and biturbo exhaust.... way too loud for my taste!!

I like stealth, or at least not drawing attention. I don't like the idea of big exhausts. currently opening up a stock moby exhaust, well it's on the list. ;-)

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 3.20.54 PM.png

Overpriced Parts /

As far as a aftermarket exhaust for puch or tomos a estoril is not that loud,

A 2 stroke engine without a chamber exhaust make no sense,

DF4F8BAF-3396-42E4-B8FB-CDFD825DCEEA.gif

Brad William /

To reprise a constant with me at MA quiet is much of what I value in mopedding. Blending in, and not annoying, is our great advantage.. against restrictions to access be it crosswalks, trails, art fairs , festivals, shortcuts across parks and recreation areas, pathways, neighborhoods, alleyways, general acceptance etc etc etc.

I huuugley appreciate the freedom I have over fully faired scooters and other motored vehicles by virtue of my ped's large wheels and pedals. I go places that motorcycles and scooters wouldn't dream to tread, and no one seems to care. They smile at me!! How fucking cool is that? All that stops me from enjoying all this freedom is a loud fucking pipe. No thanks. I'll go quietly forward.(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

Quiet and stock is great, but there is something very satisfying about a high-clutched, piped and carbed dual variated bike screaming around that is very satisfying

quiet is good, its just that after building a whole moped, all the parts, making parts, custom shit, paint, cables, tires, blah blah blah the exhaust silencer always ends up being an afterthought, i end up jamming whatever kinda works on there and ride.

Captain Janeway /

I like quiet too. I do whatever I can to muzzle the noise on mine. Put a SHA carb on one of mine with it's tiny box, and it's so loud my ears rang for weeks after I had it out on a long ride.

I will probably put the stock carb back on or sell it. Nice bike and it goes 50 easy, but I hate riding it.

obligatory "loud pipes save lives" comment

sounds unanimous.....im into stealth=stock....but ya know.....erbody gots to have a few annoying rippers......

Angry Hipster /

I won't go as far as to bash ripping. It has done much for the scene, knowledge and parts availability come to mind.

That being said, on the other hand fuck anyone who looks down on someone for wanting to enjoy a stock moped at stock speeds!!(edited)

Overpriced Parts /

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I won't go as far as to bash ripping. It has done much for the scene,

> knowledge and parts availability come to mind.

>

> That being said, on the other hand fuck anyone who looks down on someone

> for wanting to enjoy a stock moped at stock speeds!!

I completely agree but I don’t go to campgrounds like I used to for there’s very few campgrounds left around here like there was and there’s no more farms around here like there either that would use stock mopeds and slow tractors to go a few miles down the road one place to another,

My development about 1.7 mi end to end has a 25 mph speed limit so stock 2 hp 30 mph moped is fine for that though you’d be bored in a day or two unless you just use the bike to go to the pools, beach, park, Ballfield, clubhouse or tennis courts!

Lately past few years they lowered the street speed limits in surrounding areas due to all the housing developments from 45-50 to 35mph in a lot of spots but you still need a 40mph bike to be safe but that’s only north and west, south, southeast, southwest you’re stuck unless you can go 45-55mph!

I probably could’ve bought 20 tractors if I had big bucks instead I ended up buying few dozen mopeds in my area after all these campgrounds and farms became housing developments,

I don’t look down at people that ride stock slow mopeds if their area isn’t dangerous doing so,

But the past few years since they changed the Moped laws where I live, many electric scooters, ebikes, China scooters everywhere cause the people lie to get a moped plate!

It’s awful they don’t have or look at their mirrors hmost don’t even have one) they don’t wear helmets (as well as many bicyclists) they just drive 20- 25 mph on a 45 Mph Rd weaving back-and-forth, many times with a dumb phone in one hand not paying attention at all (as well as many pedestrians and joggers on the wrong side of narrow single road with phone in face)

If you come up to one on crest of a hill and hit one and you’re in trouble, even if your not charged you won’t feel good about killing someone as well as fixing the damage to your car, I know I wouldn’t!

Josiah Radebaugh /

Quiet is nice. I find intake noise to be worse than a loud pipe. And a crappy sounding pipe is worse than a loud pipe. Fix exhaust leaks and use an air box of some sort. If I can help it, I'll make my bike as quiet as possible. Sure it might be fun to roar into a parking lot with everyone staring at you, but having an unenjoyable ride isn't worth it. Most pipes with a baffle of any sort aren't too loud to handle. Intake noise is killer. As long as I can enjoy a good sound coming from my bike that won't make my ears bleed, I'll be happy.(edited)

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> I won't go as far as to bash ripping. It has done much for the scene,

> knowledge and parts availability come to mind.

>

> That being said, on the other hand fuck anyone who looks down on someone

> for wanting to enjoy a stock moped at stock speeds!!

Build your moped how ever you want to. If you like slow/quiet, do that. I have fast and slow and enjoy both for different reasons.

Stock FA50 is quiet, and fast enough for my needs... My family is surprised when I walk through the door and they don't hear the moped outside. If performance exhaust ie those MLM pipes you can get on treatland is all its hyped up to be I wouldn't mind the extra noise :)(edited)

Yeah, a quiet moped is great. The Estoril,like Ken said, is pretty quiet.

Is fast and quiet possible?

How would it affect things if I ran the stinger from my giant loud angry chainsaw expansion chamber into something like a stock gy6 muffler?

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> Is fast and quiet possible?

>

> How would it affect things if I ran the stinger from my giant loud angry

> chainsaw expansion chamber into something like a stock gy6 muffler?

in my experience it's all about the baffle.

make sure it's a "straight through" design for performance, then make it as long as necessary to muffle the high pitched raspy annoyance.

these aren't big blocks we're talking about, so there's not a lot of need to attenuate rumble/drone low frequencies.

Woah :-0

i had a dream JUST last night about riding and i was cruising along but heard nothing at all. no brap, just a whoosh. i kept twisting the throttle over and over and heard nothing but i kept going faster and faster

it wasnt scary, i was keeping up in traffic and bombing along but it was just so quiet and fast.

i even had to put my feet down to slow down as the brakes were useless

last part of it i remember was deducing that i had found some sort of "super hack" that had never been found before and now i could make mopeds go insanely fast with no noise

anyway, heres wonderwall

Yes I love a quiet moped. But not always. Excessively loud no way. Moderately loud is ok once in awhile but gets old on a daily basis. I have both and it depends on my mood and the time of day/night as to which I ride. Out of respect for the neighborhood I wouldn't opt for the chambered one on a late night run.(edited)

Electric moped is most quiet

This makes any ripper moped into a very quiet beast as long as you have fresh exhaust packing in your pipe.

It's amazing the difference in sound and doesn't slow down the moped at all as long as you jet correctly.

Every moped I own has one of these

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4284575,page=1

LoudBatteries.jpg

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Electric moped is most quiet

^LMFAO! But, they could power one hell of a horn.....

A goodly air box will make a difference in noise, so will a piccolo diffuser. For streetable performance, neither will not ruin performance if done well.

Some folks like it loud, but sure enough their neighbours will not, and the cops will have attitude. You just have to decide if you want to be noisy and hassled, or reasonable and free I suppose...

So given this what make and model are super quiet?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account