1957 Wards Riverside Questions - Newbie just getting started

I just purchased this yesterday and have many questions especially about sources for parts. The moped is complete but very rusted. Engine turns over and has compression. Tools were still inside the tool box. Tires seemed to be original and in very bad condition.

I ordered a parts manual yesterday from Riverside Moped and should have it soon.

I need

- Tires and tubes (saw some on Myron's moped site that should work)

- Upper motor mounts (rubber rotten)

- Spark plug and wire

- Card rebuild kit

If you can help me with any of the above that would be great.

Riverside Moped.jpg

Re: 1957 Wards Riverside Questions - Newbie just getting started

congrats! If you do some digging on Myrons you will find:

FF FZP-14007A 1957-59 Riverside Mobylette (Motobec. ’56 AV78) 50cc 2-S a 1.5hp orange xx (23 x 2) 2.00-19

It is a rebranded Motobecane AV78, so you will have an easier time looking for AV78 parts. Try Treatland.tv for parts.(edited)

Can't help with any parts but I sure do admire the styling of it. Classy looking.

I am seeing parts listed on some sites by model# 40, 50 and so on. Is my moped also called by a model number like that? I was wondering if it might be a general reference to the engine displacement, ie 50cc.

Great day so far, I got three rusted screws loose after many attempts.

40, 50, etc are the model of later Motobecane mopeds. Your bike is their ancestor, and shares many similarities, for example it's technically the same av7 engine, but it had many changes over the years.

Tires, the plug wire and plug cap, cables, chains etc are pretty generic and you can get them from treatland. The motor mount bushings might be the same as the later bikes, you can also make your own if you're the diy type.

Before you order tires I'd remove the old ones and make sure the rims aren't rotted on the inside.

You might have to source new rims, Treatland probably has 18", 36-hole (I believe). The plunger rear suspension and the curvy body (imo) makes that bike definitely worth restoring. You're going to have to soak EVERY thing down with penetrating oil to get it apart. First make sure the tank is in good shape, if not tear the bike down completely and de-rust, and coat the inside.

You'll certainly have to make a new wiring harness, but fortunately, that's pretty simple on those.

Forget the carb that's on there, and replace with an sha15 and manifold. I can't imagine any way in hell that bottom end doesn't need the seals/bearings (Treatland again) replaced, that will save you a LOT of headaches. while you have the motor apart, port match the cylinder to the 15mm intake manifold.

You have picked a HUGE challenge for a "newbie" project. Cant wait to see how it comes out.

I see you needing 2 of these, try to reuse the original spokes as moby spokes usually have a 7mm hex head, much easier to get trued/tensioned than standard spokes. You'll also be real lucky if that rear brake plate is functional, treatland has the complete hub available.

https://www.treatland.tv/new-18-x-2-25-chrome-RADAELLI-spoke-rim-p/new-spoke-rim-18x2.25.htm(edited)

b4 u start, u might wanna make sure the inframe tank ant tooooo rusty, leaks, rotted, gummed up, etc.

Thanks everyone. The engine is out now and mostly de-greased.

Current question is the carb. I've been reading about Gurtner carbs on Myron's Moped site. Wealth of information there.

I'm not positive which carb I have. Myron's listed AR1 and AR2 for the older mopeds. Stamped on the bowl of mine is AR10 501 A 3/58. Mine does not look exactly like the pictures on Myron's. See attached.

Anyone know what carb to order gaskets for?

Motobecane Carb#1.jpg
Motobecane Carb#2.jpg

Robert Linhares /

You might try getting in touch with mechanic Richard Eberline.

He has posting on this site.

Shaun at Myron's Mopeds is helping me out on parts and I mailed my engine to Richard Eberline today for a makeover. It should come together in the next 6 to 8 weeks.

Frame Power Wash.jpg

Leave the cosmetics (paint, chrome, seat cover) alone for now. Just get it going and road worthy first. After the first ride there's bound to be a couple mechanical/safety issues to address.

Pushrod Fifty /

Mopedland has alot of Moby stuff. Firstoff, as mentioned, clean the tank to be sure its not too rusted. I use straight white vinegar sold by the gallon. Let stand full for 2 days, dump into a pail and take a look. Refill if it needs more cleaning. If it starts leaking, its toast.(edited)

Good choice (getting Richard to do your motor). But first, you should've checked the tank for leaks/stability, you might be dead in the water before you got an oar dipped in.

Use oxcylic acid (wood bleach available at any hardware store), mixed 1.25 gallons-1 container. allow to sit 24hrs, drain (but save in case another 24hrs is needed) and check with a flashlight to see if the tank is clean. If you have leaks, you should carefully and thoroughly determine if it can be sealed, or if the rust is too bad to where it's weakened the frame.

Lookin forward to seeing this restored keep at it!

Just please DON'T give it a shitty red paint job. If it's original paint, clean it up and leave it. And don't clear coat it. Please....

Robert Linhares /

Congratulations getting Richard to bring your engine back to life!

You will be beyond pleased.

I am happy for you.

Hi Kenneth. I have checked my tank and it does not leak. I'm not clear on the mix ratio you mentioned. So it is 1.25 gallons of water and one container of the acid. What is the container size of the acid ? Is the acid in dry form or liquid ?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account