Fear of commitment?

At what point are you ready to take your moped on a longer ride (10+ miles)?

A few weeks ago I picked up a Peugeot 103 LVS U3 and I've finally got it running and not dying for "no reason." When I got it the engine was seized, the crank was stripped, the piston was broken, the carb was clogged, the clutch was missing parts. Got a new bottom end, new piston, re-honed cylinder, cleaned carb, re-built the clutch, replaced the ignition coil, re-timed the flywheel, removed the baffle, hooked up the lights, got it running.

Well I've taken it around the neighborhood a few times, little 2 miles trips. But 10 miles? 20 miles to work? When do you feel ready to say I do and get ripping?

Re: Fear of commitment?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Mopeds can be very temperamental regardless of how much preventative maintenance you perform on them. That’s not to say you can’t take them on a long ride. Just be prepared for anything that can go wrong and never ride without a cell phone on you.(edited)

Hahaha, 10+ miles, are you serious? The first thing I do after I get a moped running right is go for a long ride.

Just do it . If you make it , great . if you don't , fix it so you can make it . ;)

Well let's see if I make it to work in the morning!

Keep us posted . ;)

I picked up a yellow Sprint 3 years ago as my third Motron. I replaced the kill switch, petcock, tires, tubes, and a couple cables before taking it on a long, 35 mile ride, past all 6 houses that I have lived in in my 55 years. It ran fine, as far as I could tell, but it sounded like several of the bearings were going. When Rockettman rebuilt the motor last summer, he couldn't believe that I made it that far, as he found oil from the clutch bath in the area of the crank. It's amazing what these little bikes are capable of.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Oversimplified motorcycles

if u havn't changes the 40 yr old crank seals thats the weakest link. besides that every nut seems to come loose.

Pushrod Fifty /

Pack some simple tools, oil and a spare plug and you should be fine for a long ride if you went through the bike.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Easing into it is completely fine. It was hard to imagine that I used to do a 25- 80 mile daily commute on my magnum, but that thing lasted until the very end. RIP

no groms no blasters /

don't ride a moped to a place you need to be

the 50-year-old original, metal fatigued parts and the chinese potmetal replacements can smell your fear

^ haha yeah

take it out on some progressively longer and longer cruises

the one thing you DONT want to do is force yourself to 'make it there' i've torched a few engines over the years doing that... I had a 4 wheeler die out in the field last summer and i was really pissed and i rode that sucker back to the barn... small end bearing let go but it was still running pretty ok, until i rode it back to the barn, now the motor is scrap.

One thing i think people miss about mechanical stuff, is that you want to ease into it. I think the reason 'break in' works for people is that it gives you a chance to feel things out before giving it full bore. I have only seized a couple bikes in all my years building these because i always take it super easy at first and pay attention to what the bike is doing. If anything feels wrong, bring it back to the shop and figure out whats wrong... I narrowly avoided seizing a vespa i built last summer because i was paying attention and i felt it hiccup a little bit, shut it down, sure enough lean as shit.

Well I decided not to take it to work in the morning, but wanted to take it to the polling booth. I rolled it out of the garage and gave it a kick and it started beautifully. I let it run for a second while I closed the garage door and then hit the kill switch to turn it off while I grabbed my phone and wallet from inside. I came back out a minute later and went to kick it over again and it wouldn't start.

I took the sparkplug out, and checked it against the engine and no spark at all. I took the flywheel off, nothing looks any different than before but now I'm wondering if I wired something wrong when I replaced the ignition coil and fried something. I'm completely lost on what it could be.

If anyone see's something funky that I'm not, let me know. The connection for the white wire to the black coming off the ignition coil is normally electrical taped so its not exposed, and its tucked behind the coil out of the way.

20200303_132552.jpg

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Those solder joints look iffy to me

Screenshot_20200303-170145_Chrome.jpg

Those points look pretty nasty ..might need to file them or replace..is the wire from points even solderd to the condensor..hard to tell on my phone(edited)

the condensor nipple terminal is never grounded unless u wanna kill spark, get rid of that black wire. brown must be your on/off which connects to ground to kill.

I tried to clean the points a bit with an old business card and a little bit of carb cleaner, and I cleaned up the condenser a bit. I was looking through some other topics about not having spark and I noticed that everyone using the same ignition coil as me had their wire going to the points, then the condenser whereas I had it going from coil to condenser to points. Even though it had previously worked perfectly fine my way, I switched it to how everyone else had it.

I put the flywheel back on and got perfect spark with the plug against the engine, so I put it back in and kicked and it fired up for about 5-10 seconds then died. I pulled the plug, it was coated in dark oil so I wiped it off, sucessfully checked for spark against the engine again and tried starting it. Again only 5-10 seconds of it running before I can hear it stop sparking and it dies.

Getting frustrated that the one day I'm ready to take it out on a nice long ride it doesn't even get out of the driveway.

20200303_143042.jpg

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> Nico . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------

>the one day I'm ready to take it out on a nice

> long ride it doesn't even get out of the driveway.

Welcome to mopeds!

Is that blob of solder on the brown terminal touching the barrel.of the condensor

No, it's sitting a few mm above the barrel of the condenser. Is it time to drop stupid money for a CDI?

I will ride progressively longer and with more time under WOT, but within a certain radius of my home at first. Before I take my bike on an aggressive ride I like to see predictable cylinder head temperatures and consistent running conditions.

Replace condenser.

I just put a new one in last week, but I do have an external condenser that came with the bike. I'll report back how that goes. Is it possible that it's something with the lighting coil?

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Those points look pretty nasty ..might need to file them or replace..is

> the wire from points even solderd to the condensor..hard to tell on my

> phone

yeah, those points r done. if u look at the contact the arm side it's fine, thicker w two patties, but the solid side is missing the contact pad, one pattie, don't knoe the technical term. wanna say its made outta carbon and glued onto a piece of copper, new points.

Nice, I hope it is the points, would save me some money on a whole CDI. I'll pick up a new set on Saturday and try them out.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Tomos have limp mode if you know how you can make it home. I won't do a long ride the rings have set and I sputtered at least 3 months without incident. Roadkit cell phone AAA rv if your special....

Long trip 125 + miles roundtrip.

If you have an older non existent manufacturer leave it home ride the puch or Tomos.

If its for work get two runners.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The solder job on the condensor is mad suspect, and I HATE those internal combo coils as they tend to fail pretty easily.

Easiest way to get unkillable Pug ignition is to swap that combo coil with a slightly modded puch/bosch coil and running an external HT coil.

Also, the Le Partie CDI is $100.

What would you recommend? New coils and points and condenser or le partie cdi?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Get new points.

Might try unplugging the white wire from the little coil under the rack

(credit to cheetah)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account