Put a beefy tire on a less beefy rim?

Your Gerlfriend /

Im dirt-pedding up my tomos. Can i mash a 2.5 or a 2.75 on a 2.25 rim? im okay with ditching/ remaking the fenders

also torque upping tips? im putting bigger back sprockets in, what else?

Re: Put a beefy tire on a less beefy rim?

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

i have 2.75 semi knobby tires on the skinny 1.1" puch rims ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

IMG_20200210_193330.jpg

Your Gerlfriend /

THATS the answer i was looking for. how much of a pain in the ass was it?

also, did you build a rectifier//attatch a battery for those LED lights?

I would have to imagine running a wide tire on a very narrow rim increases the chance for that tire to jump the bead.

I have no evidence to support this but thinking about it you are decreasing the surface area the edge of the tire has to grab the rim, and putting more force on that area.

You may never see a difference but I would THINK if you nailed a pothole really hard, that wide tire and narrow rim would have a better chance of failing than the proper width rim.

Also will the tube properly inflate when stuffed in a rim that narrow?

Emil Kniemel /

People run fat tires on narrower car rims all the time. Or even wide rims with narrower tires (stretchhhhhhh). I think the wider tire offers more protection. At least against curb rash.

Its been done a lot but that doesn't really qualify as a recommendation. Chances are that the beefy tire beads are much stronger than those whimpy-assed skinny rims so it's not gonna be a bead failure if/when there's a problem - it'll be the rim.

Personally I'd recommend lacing on the widest/strongest rim to best suit the load but, then again, you ain't me.

you're changing the angle at the rim. but like do the geometry and it's not much. so yes it is more likely for the bead to slip out. but not much more likely, at least not when you're still this small.

Wide on wide on wide

20200310_174820_HDR.jpg

Torque = sprockets + low end tuned pipe

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

I would have rather used wide rims, but I used what I had.

the bike I have them on has no suspension, and I'm gonna run the tires at a kinda low pressure, maybe 20lbs? not sure yet, I'll have to mess with it.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

also, re: the lights, they are just powered off the lighting coil at the moment. I have a super cap setup on my other maxi that I may do on this too, but I'm still in the process of getting this thing up and going.

Aaron Ward /

2.5. Swing arm is usually the biggest hurdle.

Screenshot_20200223-112019.png
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account