2 story shoppy shelves. tell your second story

So, how y'all making shelf sets for your garage and shop spaces. For swoops in the last shops we'd build some random superstructures outta 2x4's, and more recently just bought pallet racks, and I've seen others build pretty good DIY setups.

Trying to add space in a ~10 ft tall garage space by adding a second story so bikes can live above the other bikes

Just looking to compare options here, what are some dimensions, materials designs or other that you've had work well.

Re: 2 story shoppy shelves. tell your second story

Hey check it out!

quick searched and randomly found this "how to build your dr4eam motorcycle garage" BS article - but look!

What's that lil red guy in there?!

I'm thinkin riz cali

the pallet racks are the way 2 go. they aren't that expensive and the ease of assembly was well worth the marginal extra cost

Yeah plus you can literally put a small car on them. They can hold so much weight. We've done both. Pallet racks are the only method we've done twice.

I built a frame outta 2x4’s, four foot wide by about 12 feet long. I added 2x4 “floor joists” on 24” centers, and covered the structure with plywood for a floor. I attached one of the long sides to the wall, top edge four foot off the floor. I securely fastened it to the studs, then added three legs to the opposite long side.

image.jpg
image.jpg

The bikes on top go nose in to the wall, back tire suspended. Bottom bikes back in so the handlebars and mirrors don’t interfere. I put em on the stand and slide them back against the wall.

image.jpg

I have a ceiling hoist, so getting them up top is easy. Shop’s a mess at the moment, but you get the picture.

what kinda specs & Sizes for pallet racks?

and where do i get pallet racks? theres a huge industrial surplus joint near here, they have all kinds of shitloads of racks, i have no clue what i'm really lookin at, nor how i'm gonna transport them. Like are there standardized sizes or is it just there's anything and maybe you find ones you want? It's a lil different vs buying new cuz you're not supplying specs, youre limited to whatevers there, which looks like a whole lot. If I search new I see lots in like a standardish 8 x 8ft w 4ft depth but this place has oddball stacking racks and all sorta stuffs.

Also, for what looks like could work maybe it In the ~$300 range used and more new. That's also like 6 months rent for a whole garage around there.

Did you guys just buy the rack support and then lay plywood floors in? or get wire decks?

Did y'all anchor it to the floor? What depth? 4ft? Would you prefer longer or shorter?

Dirty30 Dillon /

We did the same in one of our garages Will, you peeped that I think the last time you were bopping about in NYC. standard 2x4 stud frame for top, 1/2" ply, 4x4 legs with 2x4 leg links to stop the feet from spreading.

You buy them by the piece. In the photo of ours the green are uprights, orange are beams, under the plywood is wire decking.

In Atlanta, uprights like this will run around $100 each. Beams like these are ~$22 each. Wire decking varies but usually between $8-18 each. Were into this setup about $550.

Our beams are 5" beams and 96" long.

The uprights are 6' deep and they were 12' high but I cut them down to fit inside. To get them already the right height was more money and I used the scrap to build a table base for the shop table.

These are not anchored but should be. With weight on them they're stable but they'd never fly like this in an OSHA shop lol.

20200311_153225.jpg
20200311_154803.jpg

(edited)

Cristian Luna /

how are you guys getting them up and down is it just a two man job?

I'm getting next level and building a full 2nd story. I'm very excited.

FB_IMG_1583959456023.jpg

> Cristian Luna Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> how are you guys getting them up and down is it just a two man job?

Depends on the bike. Small bikes like maxis I can do myself. Larger bikes take 2 people. I have a 3 level version at the warehouse where the top level is 12ft high. I have a pallet lift for that. Still a 2 person job though. One to raise and stabilize the lift and the other to receive the bike.

Its, uh, very safe..

20190218_134412.jpg

(edited)

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> what kinda specs & Sizes for pallet racks?

>

> and where do i get pallet racks? theres a huge industrial surplus joint

> near here,....

Check Craigslist, and scrap yards too. I see em from time to time.

Justin Petraitis /

This is crazy, because I was just thinking of doing something like this in my garage. Lot's of geat ideas here!

Seth B,

You had me at "there's a red Motron on the top shelf."

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Dumb waiter.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Dumb waiter.

This idea works really well ...can use inexpensive atv winch for power up and down

I got a spare winch I think. It's on my samurai but I think I need a biger one. good call on using it for this, however I'm pretty sure any top pulley couldnt atach to the roof without being a problem

This:

image.jpg

Winch is mounted to a length of Uni-Strut, that it slides on like a trolley. There is another length of Uni-Strut in the attic, above the rafters that this is attached to, sandwiching several trusses between them, to distribute the weight across the entire ceiling superstructure, not one or two trusses. The winch slides along the exposed Uni-strut, giving me about six feet of lateral movement. It has 220/440# capacity, and a decently long cable. I wanna say 40’? I have the line doubled to slow the speed down, not really for lift capacity. It comes with square mounting brackets that fit over the Uni-Strut perfectly. Less than $100 at Harbor Freight or Amazon. Uni-Strut at Home Depot.

Close up

image.jpg

You can build on rollers on the floor and not attach to the ceiling just have to make it wide enough to be stable ...watch an old western movie where they have a hanging ...and don't take that as a negative ,was just easiest way to explain

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> You can build on rollers on the floor and not attach to the ceiling just

> have to make it wide enough to be stable ...watch an old western movie

> where they have a hanging ...and don't take that as a negative ,was just

> easiest way to explain

I had more vacant ceiling space than floor space. (edited)

I build lofts like this in every shop i have. Mopeds and cyles are just way too bulky and inefficient to store any other way. This one is in my pole barn, after building it i filled the top with mopeds and boxes of parts, and the bottom is full of motorcycles and heavy shit like garden tractor rototiller and stuff.

IMG_20190504_132055.jpg

its tough to beat 2x4's and plywood for cost, i think it took me about 3 hours to build this and i'm probably into it less than 75 bucks. 20$x2 sheets of plywood and about 10 2x4's give or take. I built this one with 2x6's around the perimeter because its a big boi. (edited)

3247C54F-1EFE-41D6-88FE-D928232085AF.jpeg

I think these shelves are at Home Depot for cheap. I can fit two bikes underneath and loads of stuff above. Definitely not a unit for more than a handful of bikes but it’s the right adjustable shelves to tuck them away and use the space above. Definitely can double them up and fit more across if you have the space. (edited)

Seth yours is very nice ..he was saying about not being able to attach to the roof so was saying he could still have it but build like gallos ..hard to explain but can attach on the bottom of the top floor to go side to side like you did on the ceiling then with rollers on bottom will roll from one side.to the other .. (edited)

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> Seth yours is very nice ..he was saying about not being able to attach

> to the roof so was saying he could still have it but build like gallos

> ..hard to explain but can attach on the bottom of the top floor to go

> side to side like you did on the ceiling then with rollers on bottom

> will roll from one side.to the other ..

I thought of doing something similar, but space is such a premium to me. Mine’s not ideal either, because the garage door opener gets in the way.

whatabout dimensions, you think 4 ft deep is sufficient to get mopeds up on deck? or goto 6?

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> whatabout dimensions, you think 4 ft deep is sufficient to get mopeds up

> on deck? or goto 6?

Not sure.if you are thinking down.my line but length would be according to what you want to carry up..if mopeds are all i guess figure your longest...as for wide would need to clear the bars.

I'm lookn at depth like the swoops one blake posted at 6 ft deep fits the whole bike length, but with a stand they're fine hanging the ass over like in seth's pics. Lookin for opinions on which is better. The 6ft depth seems a lil more rare and expensive in the pallet rack world, even new I'm only finding up to 4ft deep

I'm goin to the industriual surplus spot tomorro tho just to check it out - they've got free pie for 3/14!

and 40% off workbenches. sweet

We just built this down in Columbus. If I'm not mistaken it's the same dimensions the Zeros use on theirs. Off the top of my head it's 4 feet tall by 6 feet long by 3 feet deep, but I could be wrong on the depth. It will fit 6 bikes on top and 6 below. I think the lumber cost us like $35-40 from Lowe's

IMG_20200308_013009.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Having had the tire-hang width, I would opt for 6ft if I had the room and means for it

standard plywood's 4x8 so I was gonna guess that was a 4 ft depth

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account