fork oil?

When I took off the forks on my GS5 this winter, each spilled forth a different mystery oil (pictured). I need to replace whatever that is (and I assume with just one type of oil), but I can't seem to find mention of the correct type or amount on any forum/old manual photocopies. Any suggestions on what --and HOW MUCH-- oil I should use to get these puppies on the road?

IMG_3264.jpg

Re: fork oil?

The oil on the bottom had water in it mabye? Looks milky?(edited)

> Steve Dolan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The oil on the bottom had water in it mabye? Looks milky?

Most assuredly it has water contamination from sitting out doors in the rain more than once. Do rinse the internals out and dry before refilling with new fluid.

thanks guys - any suggestions on what and how much oil to refill them with?

todd amundson /

Put atf in them tubes. Depending on how they slide in start with 4” below the top when loaded with springs and tubes complete compressed

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Put atf in them tubes. Depending on how they slide in start with 4”

> below the top when loaded with springs and tubes complete compressed

If you want a bit stiffer fork action , do the same as Todd says , only use 20 weight motor oil .

often theyre filled to a set distance from the top instead of an amount added. this would be in the manual. you get a syringe, stick it in from the uncompressed assembled top of the tube, down to whatever (say: 170mm) in, and suck up anything above that. then repeat the other side and cap it and go rip

i dunno what kinda moped a GS5 is but definitely see if you can't find replacement fork seals. They are usually a standard dimension, i've never had much trouble finding them for moped applications

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account