Motobecane engine swap

Jonathan Gibson /

I have had this motobecane speciale quite a few years, and was wondering what to do with it. It's got a av7 engine I think. I also have a Moroni mo4 4 speed reed valve engine that I was thinking of putting into it instead. If I was to keep the av7 I'd probably put a kit on it, probably a 70cc as it's a very heavy bike. If the Moroni also a kit, an 80cc. Just wondered what everyone else thought? I don't have any Italian bikes that the Moroni mo4 will fit and the frame lends itself to fitting the Moroni engine.

Obviously the bike is in terrible condition at the minute, got a few projects to finish first.

IMG_20200310_190858.jpg

Re: Motobecane engine swap

that thing is sweet!

Being a unique model it would be nice to keep it Moby so you don't have to hack it. I would imagine an av10 would bolt up and you'd have LOADS of performance options. I don't know mobs well but I know that one is sexy.

Jonathan Gibson /

Thanks for your help guys. I've got some av10 cases that I was going to put on this (see pic) motobecane but I might keep this as an av7 and put av10 on the bigger bike above. Might see if the Moroni mo4 fits a Puch frame. Too many projects!

IMG_20200308_194903.jpg

woah, that mo4 would probably be best suited to a tomos, minarelli or morini frame that was made to have a built-in-pedals engine, the puch frames are kinda tight between the engine mounts and the front wheel so its tough to put a long engine with built in pedals in there.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I'm against cutting the frame on the moby, put an AV10 on it

Jonathan Gibson /

I have a tomos a35 frame the mo4 might fit, i was going to fit an a35 engine to it but the mo4 might be better. Il measure up and let you know. Thanks for your help guys, I'll keep the minus with an av7 and av10

Nice SP93. Dont worry about it being 'heavy' the relay transmission takes care of that by giving you dual variation. The stock AV7 comes with better breathing that the ones fitted to serie 40 and 50 Mobys so if you do swap it out for whatever keep the motor.

If you fit a AV10 to the frame you will need to fabricate lower mounts because the bottom of the motor bolts to the relay box.

Because of the relay box the engine counter rotates (backwards compared to other AV7) so if you go for CDI upgrade keep in mind that you will need to be clever with the timing, but same as other AV7-AV10, you would want 1,2mm BTDC with a CDI.

Jonathan Gibson /

Thanks rebelmoby that's a great help. I am used to Puch and minarelli engines so Moby's are a bit of a learning curve, thought I would give it a go! I think I will keep it as an av7 but change the 40 series bike engine to an av10. That's the plan anyway. Pretty much sorted my garage so I've actually got room to work on them!

The Frenchies are easy...

Frenchmopedsink.jpg

Let me know if you need tech helps...

> Jonathan Gibson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks rebelmoby that's a great help. I am used to Puch and minarelli

> engines so Moby's are a bit of a learning curve, thought I would give it

> a go! I think I will keep it as an av7 but change the 40 series bike

> engine to an av10. That's the plan anyway. Pretty much sorted my garage

> so I've actually got room to work on them!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account