Vermont registration updates?

Read all I could regarding this topic, but perhaps someone else has something new to add to the prospect of a mail in registration via this state? Any additional info would be useful to many. Thanks.

Re: Vermont registration updates?

It's very easy and forgiving. If you make a mistake sometimes they'll even email you so you can fix it and get your registration sooner than if they had to mail stuff back to you

My most recent one (fourth) took about a week longer. It was mailed in Dec 30 and I got my plate and temp reg last week of Jan. Permanent reg and expiration sticker a week later.

it's pretty straight forward, just costs a little bit of money to them and then again to your state

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Just mailed one off to VT for a ‘96 Honda Rebel that I bought without a title. As long as it’s greater than 15 years old and was never titled in your home state, you’re golden. I did a title look up and it was last titled in NY. I’m good to go.

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just mailed one off to VT for a ‘96 Honda Rebel that I bought without a

> title. As long as it’s greater than 15 years old and was never titled in

> your home state, you’re golden. I did a title look up and it was last

> titled in NY. I’m good to go.

Hey Larry, what site do you use to check where bikes were last titled?

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> Just mailed one off to VT for a ‘96 Honda Rebel that I bought without a

> title. As long as it’s greater than 15 years old and was never titled in

> your home state, you’re golden. I did a title look up and it was last

> titled in NY. I’m good to go.

Are you sure it even matters what state it was previously titled in? I’m almost positive i did it with a bike that was previously titled in my state

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Auto Data Direct. Costs $9.95 to do an instant title search. This service will only work if your bike has a 17 digit VIN. Here is the link: https://www.add123.com/. If your bike has less than a 17 digit VIN, you'll have to contact your state DMV to see if they have a title history.

This frame (as yet incomplete) is from what I suspect is a circa 1978 Puch Magnum, judging from the serial number which starts with 320...

I found this frame abandoned 8 blocks from my home more than 15 years ago and it's been sitting around for at least two other restorations between. Thought I'd see how much of an issue it would be. Our new law for abandoned property makes it much more complicated that previously. Thanks.

Feel free to add anything to this. More I know, more deliberation I'll give to deciding. Really don't wish to restore a bike I'd be unable to register legally. Would be a waste of time, money and materials.

Pushrod Fifty /

There is a site that you can check a vin on to see if was stolen, I last used it a few years ago. It was an insurance based site that I had found.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Get Blatzed Wrote:

> > Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Just mailed one off to VT for a ‘96 Honda Rebel that I bought without

> a

>

> > title. As long as it’s greater than 15 years old and was never titled

> in

>

> > your home state, you’re golden. I did a title look up and it was last

>

> > titled in NY. I’m good to go.

>

> Are you sure it even matters what state it was previously titled in? I’m

> almost positive i did it with a bike that was previously titled in my

> state

AFAIK, VT doesn't care if it was titled anywhere if it falls into the age/displacement category. Especially mopeds, which have irregular VINs.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I received my information re. this issue from Justin joy who owns Moped Division and motorecyclenow, which is a titling service. This caveat is stated on their web site.

I’ve always let Justin do my VT titling for me because he knows the VT system very well. I’ve never had an issue with any bike he’s done for me.

done it a bunch, compared to a lien or title services that use similar loopholes in other states it's usually cheaper and waaaaayyyyy easier. Still those options work too. But in the end, the VT method gets you a real and clean title in your state in your name. major winner

Not hard at all. I have done it and get a nice clean title. As Will said, you get a title without any bonds on it. Makes your bike a little easier to sell IMO if you don't have to explain that to someone.

Legal paper work is a must .

I won't even accept a bike for free , without it .

Just got my plate and reg from Vermont, took one month.

I'm confused, because the Vermont DMV website says:

The State of Vermont does NOT issue titles for the following:

Motorcycles with an engine size smaller than 300 cc

Motor-driven cycles

Road-making appliances

Tractors with a loaded weight of 6,099 lbs. or less

Trailers with an empty weight of 1,500 lbs. or less

> Nile A Wrote:

> I'm confused, because the Vermont DMV website says:

>

> The State of Vermont does NOT issue titles for the following:

>

> Motorcycles with an engine size smaller than 300 cc

>

> Motor-driven cycles

>

> Road-making appliances

>

> Tractors with a loaded weight of 6,099 lbs. or less

>

> Trailers with an empty weight of 1,500 lbs. or less

Exactly. They don't use titles. They just give you a registration. Your state then honors that registration and will give you a title since it's coming from a non-title state

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Okay heres one-

I just picked up this beautiful non running 74' vespa 90 small frame and I wanna go the vermont route. Originally a New Hampshire scoot so it never had a title issued.

Will Vermont let you get it inspected in Massachusetts? is inspection a requirement in VT for this class/ age of motorcycle?

another thing. Vermont doesn't require motorcycles to have turn signals, Mass does. How would this situation play out?

Got this thing yesterday non running, cleaned tank and carb started first kick and hauled me around no prob.

Thanks!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve got it from good sources that VT titles are taking upwards of 5 weeks to process now because only online and mailed in transactions are being processed. Just like here in NJ, all walk in dmv offices are closed.

> Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

> Okay heres one-

>

> I just picked up this beautiful non running 74' vespa 90 small frame and

> I wanna go the vermont route. Originally a New Hampshire scoot so it

> never had a title issued.

>

> Will Vermont let you get it inspected in Massachusetts? is inspection a

> requirement in VT for this class/ age of motorcycle?

>

> another thing. Vermont doesn't require motorcycles to have turn signals,

> Mass does. How would this situation play out?

>

> Got this thing yesterday non running, cleaned tank and carb started

> first kick and hauled me around no prob.

>

> Thanks!

If you live in Massachusetts all I did was google search "moped laws". I think you will find all of your answers there... Hint, you do not need to go through vermont, you do not need turn signals, you do not need to have it inspected.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

unfortunately the vespa 90cc is a motorcycle in massachusetts... the top speed of the vespa is 43mph rather than 40 which would be the cap for qualifying as a limited use vehicle. A moped in mass has a 30 mph top speed.

Hmmm...well, if no one here recalls, I live in Honolulu, so I'll likely need to contact DMV to find out if serial number is still registered. I believe (though not SURE) that they purge old numbers eventually. But not really sure of that. More research. If anyone else knows how this city handles things of this sort, please inform. I know things were much simpler when you could find a frame (or bike) and declare it abandoned property, check for theft and proceed.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I got my registration and motorcycle plate from Vermont three days ago! literally could not have been better service.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account