Hand reamers

I've read threads riders using drills and files on their Vespa cases. Wouldn't a hand reamer be more controlled ? Anyone use one?

Re: Hand reamers

if u takling intake and patch then drill, dremel and a rat tail file work good.

Not yet pat. I'm just getting comfortable tearing down and rebuilding so far. But I know I want to 8) !

If you're talking about the intake, I think the reason for files is that you can't simply go all the way through, you don't want to create a sharp ridge where the round intake meets the rectangular port in the case.

Make a tapered fit correct?

i've done them with a chucking reamer before, i dunno how well a hand reamer would work.

i have these little tiny flap wheel sanding dookers that go on my dremel, i have been using them lately because they let you re-center it in the casting.... takes a bit longer but you can prevent it getting weak

always thought it would be nice to have some kinda jig for this job.... if you have access to a mill, you can chuck it up with a dial indicator, center the outer bore, then ream the inner bore dead on to that center, but i don't have access to a mill right now so i'm making do.

Too bad you're not in NC. I've got two mills I'd sell cheap.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account