AWD Mopeds??

I've read about people suggesting to stick a solex on the front of a moped and then it would be a cool AWD moped.

My question is has anyone here actually done it? Pics/vids would be cool.

Re: AWD Mopeds??

Lol. Bad idea but I'm sure it's been done.

Just my observations,but Solex's galet drive are very hard on tires so if you dont install one that can take the extra wear you will be going through a lot of tires. Synchronizing two engines to be positive drives will be a nightmare.

I did try in the past mounting a hub drive low watt 'assist' electric on the front wheel and it gave no detectable assistance. Tried same same on the sidecar and it really did nothing I could notice. I put two onto one of my trailers and it did at least work well to regenerate the batteries and the trailer was less pushy going downhill.

Not a moped, but the Rokon is the closest I can think of.

Yeah rokon has a neet cable driven front wheel.

Christini dirt bikes, though not a moped, seem interesting https://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-military

Didn’t someone in here build a hobbit with a front wheel electric hub motor?

There's some neat Suzuki protoype bikes from the '80s with two wheel drive.

Theres a photo somewhere of a bravo subframe mounted as front forks on a ciao.

Rokon is 2wd. Christini is awd. The dirtbikes front wheel is over driven gear wise, so only in a non slip situation, and sometimes turning, does it grab. Rokon is 50/50 power split. Honda made a awd race bike, where the front wheel was driven hydrostatically. There is a bicycle kit that is a cable driven 2wd system; it is easilly broken if you don't use both brakes equally. No moped I've ever seen, though.

Why not adapt an e bike hub motor?

haro made a front wheel cable drive for bmx back in the day, I'm sure a moped would shred the components, and they probably rare as heck anyway, but it would be fun to try.

there's also slim with his 3 wheel drive two stroke triple drag bike project, all chain drive. it's crazy!

Screenshot_20200326-100003.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8X7FH5ltQ1/?igshid=yaxttiwywe2r

would be funny to make a scaled down version for a moped haha

ahhhh i think it was john rob holmes? that made the front electric hub motor hobbit. there were pics of it showing up to a ride somewhere like kansas city or st louis i think.

i feel like someone else posted that they were working on one at some point but i dunno if it ever came to fruition. it might have been that guy with a morini based something that top tanked it and added a bunch of computer stuff?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

How about a Solex on the front, Puch or whatever in the middle, and an AMF on the rear?

I just built one with the hub motor from my garelli electric. it's a cobbled together pile of shit. Fantic XKE frame from roffman, mounted to a spare Trac motor I had with tomos forks a puch seat and a rizatto wheel, hub drive front "20 inch" bicycle wheel with 16" moped tires. I still dont have a real pipe on it, just a header, and the hub drive is only ~750W (it claimed 1kW but they also lie prolifically)

Anyway, they dont really do much, one's pulling and the other isnt. It gives a little room to gear up and make up for the lowend with the hub, that's what i did. It also saved my ass on a ride yesterday, it's only recently finished enough to ride and the petcock clogged, couldnt clear it by blowing back thru - too slow flow and I couldnt roadside fix that without draining the tank, but luckily the hub rolled me back home easily!

I'll get some photos or maybe write it up sometime soon

That triple 2-stroke 3WD is batshit fucking mentalness!

Fallen Amish ~Yoder~ /

Am I mistaken or wasn’t there a front drive motor on some AMF mopeds? If you can find one that runs you could put the whole front end on a standard moped. That could work, in theory.

A11117C7-5667-42EE-AAC9-4764F817525D.jpeg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account