Ohio "moped" definition

I was recently trying to obtain a moped here and after being told I don't need a title for moped I decided to look it up. By definition mopeds in ohio do not go over 20mph but I've never been on a ped that doesn't go over 20mph. Anyone know if these peds are classified as motorcycles or what?

Re: Ohio "moped" definition

Overpriced Parts /

All they want you to do is Say it’s 20 mph and 1 hp on that stupid form I never use that stupid form since they changed it because I always renew the plates every year Fill out the form and get your plate don’t fill out the form and don’t get your plate,

I don’t know how you’re going to get a plate anyway since the DMV is closed except for trucks commercial vehicles

Any motor driven cycle or motor assisted cycle/motorized bicycle (moped) that exceeds 20 mph on a level surface in Ohio is legally a motorcycle

Wouldn't that mean I would be better off trying to get a title for it? Or should a lie to the establishment on the paperwork?

Overpriced Parts /

> Thomas Peffer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Any motor driven cycle or motor assisted cycle/motorized bicycle (moped)

> that exceeds 20 mph on a level surface (25mph downhill) in Ohio is legally a motorcycle

But none ever came with a title so it’s a catch 22 so if it’s a puch, tomos, italian or German moped with pedals just fill out the form and say 20mph 1 hp

I really really seriously doubt any cop is going to give you shit for doing 35 on a moped. Like I've been pulled over and have had cops ask me "so what're the rules for these things". If you get pulled over for doing over 20 on a moped, you can argue that there's a downhill and a tailwind and that the cop's radar gun is out of calibration. All 3 of those buy you a good extra 20mph.

Also I doubt the possibility of the state giving you a title for a bike if you decide to tell them it's not a moped anymore and is instead a motorcycle now. It's hard enough finding BMV's that know how to register mopeds, let alone going through that trouble(edited)

Closest thing to a title most came with, is a bill of sale. They all have VINs, so you could probably get a title. I don't know why they make the laws so complicated as years progress. Other than that, being able to register it, is a good thing. That's how some states get 50cc scooters, unless it's some shitty ass Spree or Jog, it'll probably do 30+

> Paul Poore Wrote:

> Wouldn't that mean I would be better off trying to get a title for it?

> Or should a lie to the establishment on the paperwork?

Lie, no one cares.

You don't stress none of it. You don't need anything. Just a class d drivers license in ohio. All ohio bmv wants is you to bring in the vin # and pay for your plate and she gives you your moped paper registration and yeah fill out the form i told her 25mph no problem.(edited)

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

If it exceeds 20mph it is legally a motorcycle but they won’t issue a title because mopeds can’t be titled in Ohio. But it’s not a moped it’s a motorcycle, but it has no title so you can’t register it. Then you apply for a title but it gets denied because it’s a moped and mopeds can’t be titled in Ohio. Then your moped turns into a snake, your snake starts eating it’s own tail. You can’t register an Ouroboros at the BMV they tell you it’s not a vehicle. So you go to the county dog warden, they issue you a dog license for your Ouroboros but when you get pulled over on your snake eating is own tail the police tell you it’s a moped and you need to have it registered with the BMV.

What I do is register it as a moped but I treat it as if it were a motorcycle. I have my motorcycle endorsement and I pay for insurance. That way if there’s ever a problem I have everything covered that I can cover.

All the above. I tried for historical plates last summer. The nice lady I go to tried her best, it always returned "no option" . She told me probably because it's not titled.

Most of the riding I did 2 years ago I had a 20mph commuter. just cuz. it was surprisingly really fun anyways.

scooters are technically motorcycles by the ohio law too, you can't have tiny wheels. but it does mean you can take your motorcycle test very easily on a dumb ol scooty and be legit as hell.

in the end, if it's clearly a moped, like some know-nothing cop looks at it and says "yea that's a moped" then that's all you really need. if it's legal and theyre having a shit day youre fucked anyway. but if you, as a moped owner and rider, have to ask this question, you can be VERY sure about 0% of cops are gonna bother to know either.

Hmmmm.

So with the BMV in Ohio closed for a while, I should be able to get as many bikes as I can in running condition, take the for "extended test rides," and the cops can't do anything because "I just got it on the road and the BMV is closed because of Corona Virus, officer. I WANTED to spend $50 per plate for 10 mopeds, I really did, but I was just doing what the governor said to do."

Can't get one on Oplates online?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Can't get one on Oplates online?

Columbus is not pulling over for failure to display tags until the pandemic is over. I'm sure other municipalities are doing the same thing

Overpriced Parts /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Can't get one on Oplates online?

>

> Columbus is not pulling over for failure to display tags until the

> pandemic is over. I'm sure other municipalities are doing the same thing

The cops are everywhere out here I’ve never seen anything like it!

My son got a brand new car as a rental from a dealer who had his car for several weeks for some simple recall they can’t fix/no parts, that just has a plastic plate on it that says the dealers name, he gets pulled over every other day!

You think I could rip around on my untagged ST1100 then? I've heard the same thing about my area.

Pea-Jae Stasuk /

Hi, Ohio MA Folks!

I have a '76 Demm Smily I am trying to register in OH.

The frame has a 6-digit serial number and the motor has a different number. What am I supposed to use as a VIN for the BMV?

I'm going to post this as a new topic, but it seems this conversation is relevant.

Thanks!!

Pea-Jae

Overpriced Parts /

> Pea-Jae Stasuk Wrote:

> Hi, Ohio MA Folks!

>

> I have a '76 Demm Smily I am trying to register in OH.

>

> The frame has a 6-digit serial number and the motor has a different

> number. What am I supposed to use as a VIN for the BMV?

>

> I'm going to post this as a new topic, but it seems this conversation is

> relevant.

>

> Thanks!!

>

> Pea-Jae

Use the frame vin but most DMV’s are closed

> Paul Poore Wrote:

> You think I could rip around on my untagged ST1100 then? I've heard the

> same thing about my area.

I wouldn't, expired tags are one thing, no tags=stolen or up to no good at all.

Overpriced Parts /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> > Paul Poore Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You think I could rip around on my untagged ST1100 then? I've heard

> the

>

> > same thing about my area.

>

> I wouldn't, expired tags are one thing, no tags=stolen or up to no good

> at all.

Exactly! a dealership had my sons car for several weeks for repair so they gave him a loaner car that did not have a dealer plate, it was a plastic tag that said the dealer name,

3 squad cars/suvs and several officers came over our house thinking that the loaner car was stolen because it didn’t have proper plates,

Nothing is more fun than hearing somebody basically breaking down your door banging so hard and then opening the door and finding officers all across your front and backyard,

Showed them the paperwork, they called the dealer, everything checked out, but everybody on the street was looking at us, it was quite hilarious and some neighbors still are asking why was there all those police at your house,

No plate means trouble !

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> No plate means trouble !

In Columbus I've been ripping dirt bikes with no plates. Passed many cops. Nobody is pulling over for it here.

Chris - Bedford Quarterkicks /

All you need to do is fill out the Motorized Bicycle (Moped) Registration Application (form BMV 4510) which can be found on the Ohio BMV web site. That's the only paper work you need. Just fill it out, check boxes 1,2,3, and a,b,c, and take it to the BMV when they finally reopen. There are no questions asked. Most of the time the folks behind the counter don't know what to do with the form and have to go ask the supervisor on duty. I've plated (and replated) my ped a few times and never had anyone question what I had filled out on the form. They just want your money.

Pea-Jae Stasuk /

I was able to get a temp plate from BMV online at...

https://services.dps.ohio.gov/Dealers/NonDealer/PrivateSales/

$20, lasts 90 days.

Took a while for it to show in the mail (13 days), but it came!

Got insurance card from State Farm over the phone.

Legal and ready for the snow to go away!

Peace,

Pea-Jae

I've been riding dirty on all my bikes in Columbus and loving it. I've got so many bikes I can't plate em all, but I'm not getting pulled over for it

Here's a snip from Ohio BMV.

Ohio is not a moped friendly state (like Ky and IN), since they require plates. The only real problem i know of is that a little Suzuki FA50 falls into the catch 22 of being a "motorcycle" but typically not having a title, so not a good way to be legal for a little noped. That's because it does not have pedals. The irony is that the FA50 was designed to be a very safe little bike for young riders - low center of gravity, rear brake safety to start, vacuum fuel cock to keep from spilling fuel, low speed, key on off switch, and nice controls. Ohio used to have a list of acceptable mopeds that they used when deciding whether or not to issue a moped plate. The FA50 was not on the list so no moped plates. I think they got rid of the list. As others said, just fill out the form, pay the fees and it will be ok with the BMV.

bmv moped.PNG

> Pea-Jae Stasuk Wrote:

> I was able to get a temp plate from BMV online at...

>

> https://services.dps.ohio.gov/Dealers/NonDealer/PrivateSales/

>

> $20, lasts 90 days.

>

> Took a while for it to show in the mail (13 days), but it came!

>

> Got insurance card from State Farm over the phone.

>

> Legal and ready for the snow to go away!

>

> Peace,

>

> Pea-Jae

You don't HAVE to have insurance in Ohio to be legal. It's your choice to get it or not. UNLESS you have a scooter, not a mo-ped with pedals.

Pea-Jae Stasuk /

Hi, Don!!

The BMV site is a bit vague. No mention of insurance on any of the moped pages, but elsewhere it says, it’s illegal to drive/ride “any” motor vehicle without. Only $100 for the year, so better safe...yada-yada...

Be safe and be kind!

Pea-Jae

ELLAK MOLNAR /

I'm a Cop In Ohio and we Never pull anyone over on a Moped! Mini Bikes, NOW THATS ANOTHER STORY!

> Pea-Jae Stasuk Wrote:

> Hi, Don!!

>

> The BMV site is a bit vague. No mention of insurance on any of the moped

> pages, but elsewhere it says, it’s illegal to drive/ride “any” motor

> vehicle without. Only $100 for the year, so better safe...yada-yada...

>

> Be safe and be kind!

>

> Pea-Jae

Yep, illegal to drive any motor vehicle without insurance. But a moped, as defined, is not a motor vehicle. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4501.01 Parts B and L are most relevant. I'm not gonna pay what I bought my bike for per year in insurance.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account