1977 Moby in Mellow Yellow Score!

Pushrod Fifty /
20200404_122745.jpg

I brought this V50 30mph Moby off a guy on the for sale forum. I got it running pretty quick, just cleaned the clogged main jet and put an air box cover on it that I had, some fresh premix, lubed the moving stuff, and rode it around. Top speed 28 mph but with a good going thru, it should get up to 30+.

I started replacing the bar with an M bar and have tires and a carb gasket set on on order.

I can make side covers for it and I know the bikes from my previous one I had.

The good is that it isn't rusty and crusty, the lights, speedo work, good brakes and cables, the seat is awesome and the tank is pretty clean.

Re: 1977 Moby in Mellow Yellow Score!

The yellow definitely lights it up . ;)

It is the year of the yellow Moby!

Pushrod Fifty /

Yeah the yellow is bright and 70's. I like the white headlight with the switch. Also I'm happy that I don't have to buy mirrors for it. I like the style of them and the clamps wont take up slot of room on the M bar. I can use full size grips and everything will fit just right on the M bar, just need to make a throttle tube extention.

I think you can get the toolbox covers from Sundaymorningmotors.com I would try and source side-covers, homemade would look janky on such a nice machine, even if you had to get a different color and have them painted. Dual mirrors is an awesome option. Never knew yellow was a thing on the 50v, I like it. Grease the variator and you may get your extra 2mph, see wiki for how from Rebel Moby if you don't know how. New flexi blocs will hel too if yours are rotted out. Love the bike, skip the m bars.

Bruce Zapper /
20200310_160401_resized.jpg

Very nice and well kept moped,Definitely the year of the yellow moped I got a yellow Traveler I call her Quarantina

Pushrod Fifty /

I can make the covers out of aluminum, just enough to cover the moving parts I think they would look kind of rad. I can make them look pretty perfect, I have access to all of the machinery needed. I'l make both compartment covers out aluminum too so it all matches, and bead blast them and satin clear coat.

I saw Quarantina on some posts, looks awesome. l could call mine MOBID-19 not sure yet but It might end up being what comes to mind whem I'm out riding it.

I am a little fond of Mobys (in case you did not know)

Nice score!

Pushrod Fifty /

Thanks Rebel! I was looking for the mabecane site but couldn't find it. I still have the service manual you sent me like 10 years ago. I have a spare engine in case I ever need it.

Year of the yellow moby indeed!

Here's my moby, doesn't have a name yet...

20200405_124542.jpg

I'll have to get all 3 of my yellow Motrons on the road.

Pushrod Fifty /

Thats a real mint Moby!

Bruce Zapper /

> Sam T Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Year of the yellow moby indeed!

>

> Here's my moby, doesn't have a name yet...

Put your thinking cap on she needs a name!

Pushrod Fifty /

I couldnt get the emulsion tube out of the carb, looks like someone had tried before, it bent up while trying to tap it out. I drilled most of it out but I think at this point the carb is toast.

That's ok, your gonna want a different carb anyway. 15:15 dellorto and matching intake are far superior and will get you a few mph. With some tuning it can get even more.

I strongly dislike gurtners

Pushrod Fifty /

I have a Dellorto 14.12 from a Minarelli I could use, looks like a flat slide. Has a rectangular airbox, would have change for the screen with end cap style. Have to see some pics of what others have done.

Almost done with my side covers.

14:12 will work fine for a stock replacement. Just won't get you much more speed...you can use the stock bendy intake too with a 14:12 if you tilt the carb a few degrees.

Still much better than the gurt

Pushrod Fifty /

I did a quick check, The bendy is too big in diameter, wouldnt fit on, the 14.12 is .700", bendy about .75" using a caliper but I can mic it up to check. Choke lever would hit the flywheel cover.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Thanks Rebel! I was looking for the mabecane site but couldn't find it.

> I still have the service manual you sent me like 10 years ago. I have a

> spare engine in case I ever need it.

Rebel Moby is the best for helping and giving advice...

He has helped me a lot even with bikes that are not verated.... Thank you mr.moby

lever chokes are not so useful anyhow, use cable chokes.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> I did a quick check, The bendy is too big in diameter, wouldnt fit on,

> the 14.12 is .700", bendy about .75" using a caliper but I can mic it up

> to check. Choke lever would hit the flywheel cover.

Thanks for the kind words, I am happy to help :)

> J Dubbs Wrote:

> > Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Thanks Rebel! I was looking for the mabecane site but couldn't find

> it.

>

> > I still have the service manual you sent me like 10 years ago. I have

> a

>

> > spare engine in case I ever need it.

>

> Rebel Moby is the best for helping and giving advice...

>

> He has helped me a lot even with bikes that are not verated.... Thank

> you mr.moby

Pushrod Fifty /

I got another Gurty from a junker for now, I have it soaking. Gonna flush the tank before I run it.

Pushrod Fifty /

Updates on my Moby- I got my side covers done, and left side compartment cover that just needs a hole for the finger nut. I have the clubman bars on it, and and throttle tube extension for using 5" length gray Biltwell grips, but not cabled up yet, I want to flush the tank first. Carb is cleaned, not yet assembled. I brought a gasket set for it on ebay.

20200416_192955.jpg
20200416_192629.jpg

Nice work man. I love fabricating panels.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Updates on my Moby- I got my side covers done, and left side compartment

> cover that just needs a hole for the finger nut.

Looks great from my house . ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea the panels came out better than expected. The edge hems make a big difference. I mounted the compartment cover last night.

I found 2 small venturi holes in the side of the emulsion tube after polishing it real clean, is that all that have?

Have to order some cable ends from treats and get it buttoned up.

Sweet, smooth and stable.

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea I like how quiet it is and so smooth with belt drive.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> I found 2 small venturi holes in the side of the emulsion tube after

> polishing it real clean, is that all that have?

2 strokes from that era use the 2 hole type and 4 stroke use a 4 hole type .

Although , I've tried a 6 hole metering tube in my Simplex which normally uses a 4 hole , with fair results . So , the type of carb and fine tuning else-wise is likely key .

Pushrod Fifty /

I don't want to miss any holes. I cleaned them with a sewing needle and speaker wire. I used the new formulation paint thinner to soak the carb body and parts in. It gets the parts so clean and shiny, its so much better than the gunk carb soak and it's only 11.00 a gallon.

Just blow the stuff off after a few days soaking, chase the passages with wire, and hit with a short blast of carb spray to remove the residue.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account