Re: 1977 Moby in Mellow Yellow Score!

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I don't want to miss any holes. I cleaned them with a sewing needle and

> speaker wire. I used the new formulation paint thinner to soak the carb

> body and parts in. It gets the parts so clean and shiny, its so much

> better than the gunk carb soak and it's only 11.00 a gallon.

Post a link for that^ , please . ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

Kleen Strip Calufornia approved paint thinner- Works great for carb cleaning and foam air filter cleaning.

1587219787175-903604202.jpg

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Kleen Strip Calufornia approved paint thinner- Works great for carb

> cleaning and foam air filter cleaning.

Thanks for that^ . ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

No prob, I tbought it was a joke until I used it for my bike stuff.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> No prob, I tbought it was a joke until I used it for my bike stuff.

Cheap enough for a decent cleaner . ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

Aluminum comes out shiny perfect. I just pulled this gurty top cap out and sprayed it with compressed air, spotless. The carb was oxidized, rusty and grimy before soaking.

15872323302582059741862.jpg

Clean parts are a good thing . ;)

Dose anyone know where I can take my bike to have it gone over I have a week spark but everything else like speedometer lights brake light horn works when I am peddling it, I live in the Bay Area, near Castro Valley California

image.jpg

Check your ground strap, and the condition of the points.

Pushrod Fifty /

Try a new plug also just to he sure. Check the plug wire connection where it fits into the coil, unscrew the plastic fitting, unscrew the wire from the coil, ship off 1/4" of wire, put the cap on the wire, and screw the wire end back into the coil.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> Try a new plug also just to he sure. Check the plug wire connection

> where it fits into the coil, unscrew the plastic fitting, unscrew the

> wire from the coil, ship off 1/4" of wire, put the cap on the wire, and

> screw the wire end back into the coil.

Do the same^ with the plug cap . ;)

Novi 120x ignition is notorious for having bad condensers, heat is a condensers enemy, heat is a byproduct of electrical generation, Novi flywheels are not vented.

Disconnect the condenser from the points (blue wire with black tracer) and get a mid 1960s GM 6 cylinder condenser and splice it into the grey wire at the external coil. Use the coils lower mounting stud to mount the condenser.

The lower stud is also the best place for the bonding strap, remove the old one and run a new wire from the lower stud to one of the intake studs (not the long bolt like the original horrible idea Motobecane had).

Clean the contact points with a file and flush with brake cleaner (DO NOT use sandpaper and carb cleaner, sandpaper will leave grit and carb cleaner will leave behind lube, both can weaken the spark) then set the points gap at 0,4mm at index (where the points are widest open). The set the timing at 1,5mm BTDC.

Make sure if you still have the stock antiparasite plug cap that you DO NOT use a resistor spark plug. The resistor in the anitparasite can go bad over time, NGK LB05EP resistor cap can replace it if you do not trust it.

The 6v terminal on the two coil US wiring scheme is the common end of the spark exciter coil. Try making a jumper wire to connect the 6v terminal to common if the spark is still feeble and disconnect the harness wire that is attached to the grey wire that goes to the external spark coil (thats the kill switch wire) you can use the decompressor as a kill switch.

Pushrod Fifty /
20200523_120437.jpg

I finally got my Moby together with new tires, cleaned tank and carb, and my new side covers installed. I Lowered the seat 2" and got rid of the rack under the seat, added M bars and Biltwell grips. I want to pull the engine at some point and decarb the top end, change the condenser and motor mounts and clean the points and time it.

20200523_120457.jpg

Sounds like a good Winter project . ;)

Pushrod Fifty /

Going to keep working on it now, I have my days free to wrench on my bikes and ride. I can hold a steady 30mph but I know it can do more with the decarb done and ignition spot on. My red Moby that I had before would bury the Speedo after it received the going thru and this ones almost there.

Bruce Zapper /

Nice work,like the the added little side reflectors!

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea there was a tab left where the rack mounted, the reflectors for perfect there. I found them on ebay, bag of 10.

Rack delete really changes the look, I like it, now you need a new stand. Sweet bike!

Pushrod Fifty /

The stand works fine. I like the simple look without the rack that cant be used because the seat is in the way.

Stand looks like too many people riding that like a exercise bike trying to get it started, straight those legs so they also dont hang down when riding.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> The stand works fine. I like the simple look without the rack that cant

> be used because the seat is in the way.

Pushrod Fifty /

Have to take a look closer. I know the sheetmetal is real flimsy.

It is flimsy.

A weak point on these bikes, you can get a new one on treats, they say to never start them on the stand, but I always did and mine never got like that and I'm not light!

Once the shouldered stand bolts start to wear, or their bores start to wear it will slightly bend the stop on the frame, once the angle reaches a point then larger laden weight will bend those legs fast.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> It is flimsy.

>

> A weak point on these bikes, you can get a new one on treats, they say

> to never start them on the stand, but I always did and mine never got

> like that and I'm not light!

Pushrod Fifty /

I can take it off and straighten it out easy enough. When they are bent out sideways then they are harder to straighten.

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> Once the shouldered stand bolts start to wear, or their bores start to

> wear it will slightly bend the stop on the frame, once the angle reaches

> a point then larger laden weight will bend those legs fast.

>

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > It is flimsy.

>

> >

>

> > A weak point on these bikes, you can get a new one on treats, they say

>

> > to never start them on the stand, but I always did and mine never got

>

> > like that and I'm not light!

And now I know.... Thanks, learned something today! :)

Pushrod Fifty /

I was looking at motor mount bushings at Treats, they have standard ones and two others that are twice the price, one has a plastic insert. Any real difference in quality?

I may have mixed up the washers on the front axle, I can hear a scraping noise, I believe coming from the brake plate rubbing on the hub.

I don't know about the ones with plastic inserts, but the more expensive ones are what I used, heard bad things about the cheaper ones.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account