Another Magdumb build -_-

Yeah another magnum.... but I always wanted a top tank and this is the one I have. Big whup, wanna fight about it?

I started with a crusty bike that looked like it was leaning against a house for 20yrs. It was once under a tarp that looked more like it was being used for bar end tassels than any type of protection from the elements. I thanked my lucky stars that we live in AZ and scooped it up for $400.

Most hardware was rusted but the chrome only had a light surface rust so not everything needed replacing. Only 70% LoL!

20200413_134615.jpg

Stripped it down. Sanded everything and painted it up. The tank ended up having a hole in it so I ordered a new tank which will arrive soon. I am also switching up the seat.

20200423_161538.jpg
20200423_231817.jpg

(edited)

Re: Another Magdumb build -_-

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Looks like a nice start! I love the orange!

Dont junk the OG tank, someone will buy it and patch that sucker up.

20200425_195009.jpg

The color scheme is going to be 70's styled with the orange frame. The headlight and tank being a teal with some brown, mustard, and cream accents.

Damn painting sux. And I'm not the best at it. Lack of patients more than anything.

20200427_005033.jpg

The engine is a super weird Puch/Hero thing that I came up on off of a 4 wheeler I found. Then randomly in a lot that i purchased i got another engine and spare cylinders. Seems like a good reason to make it happen on this build.

Weird #1. The state plate is attached to the side cover and fits into an inverted flywheel. (What it means is that the motion of the piston is like an e50. However, the rotation of the electronics is flipped and is like a za50.) Took me almost a year to figure this out. Smh.

20200427_005108.jpg

Weird #2. Kickstart is facing forward in a way that makes it impossible to "kick". You have to pull it up. Pull + high compression × tuning = no fun starting this bike. And since the electronics are weird, no way to drill start this guy... Is there a decomp head for puch?

Weird #3. Cant put a bigger front sprocket than 12. With a 12t I already have ground into the stator plate cover to clear the chain. Already not a great situation for the electronics.

Interesting note tho is that the engine had a starter on it which I had to remove to fit the pipe. It needs a plate fabricated to seal off the back side of the flywheel so that is on my todo list. Would be nice to have the starter on it but I lack the ability to fabricate some crazy header to go around it right now. Second engine with the starter on it still means version 2.0 may get it. I am also too stupid to figure out the wiring required to make a whole battery system happen. I have a hard enough time just adding in a kill switch.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like a nice start! I love the orange!

>

> Dont junk the OG tank, someone will buy it and patch that sucker up.

Yup. Already have a buyer for it.

This is where she stands right now. Waiting on the seat, tank, shocks, and a replacement rear axel. The one I got from treats had a weird cut in it and they are sending me a new one.

20200427_163946.jpg

I put in sealed bearing on the wheels and got some wider pedal arms. The left arm did not fit on my pedal crank due to the spacing difference, but the right side fit which was important because the kickstart setup is so much wider. I even had to bend the arm out to get it to clear. The left side will just get the stock arm back on it. It should clear the pipe or I will bend it out a bit. Don't like bending pedal arms but I could not find a better solution.

The forks were not able to be removed which is why they are seen attached to the frame during sanding and painting. Turns out that someone broke the key off in their fork lock when it was engaged. So. They just forced the handlebars to turn and brake the lock. This caused the threaded shaft to get a knarled bit of steel from the force of breaking the lock. It prevented the tube from groping out of the frame due to the bearing cups. The bearing cups could not be forced out with the fork tube still in the frame head tube so a decision was made and now I have some sweet orange forks. Rather than some much safer and shiny chrome ebr. But who wants safe on a moped anyway.

For now while I wait on my parts, i have a ssxl that needs a rebuild and lots of go fast parts added. I will probably share some tidbits from that as well.

That motor is wicked rad!!! Dig the build

> Robert Emery Wrote:

> That motor is wicked rad!!! Dig the build

THB. I put this build on a pinto a while ago but ended up trashing the cyl using some old circlips like a dumbass.

The neat thing about the motor which I forgot to put is that it takes the hero 65cc kit that is sold on treats. The engine already has transfers almost that big. I also could lower the exhaust on the 65cc kit a bit with how low the piston falls below it. I want to get this built simple right now and maybe to some more porting and things on the second engine. Currently I have no idea on how to remove the flywheel and the clutch side has a crazy nut holding the bell on that I can't get to budge. So that means I cant split the case as I would like to because unlike an e50 it splits vertically so I need at least one side free to slide it off the crank.

Mopeds are so frustratingly fun!

Keep the comments and questions coming I can take pics of anything specific.

Just got the new tank in. Figuring out a good way to mount this thing and have the right stance. Then paint. Now just waiting on my seat to make it thru customs...

Here's a little video about the model of quad this motor comes out of.

> Jake P Wrote:

> Here's a little video about the model of quad this motor comes out of.

>

>

Jake! Thanks for the video!

My quad was a little different it said hero on it not honda and the wheelie logo was different. I ended up selling the quad in my moped lot last year. That one and a sweet avanti quad with the vip motor in it. Kind of sad about letting those go but mew moved to a place without as much storage for my toys. Thanks again for the video!

Jeremy Homser /

The kicker is supposed to point toward the back. For it to work properly you probably have to run pegs instead of pedals

oh dude! we have one of those quads. can't get it to run, the stator is fixed to the outer cover and the coils rotate inside it, and so there's like zero crossover with other parts and can't get it to spark...

> Jeremy Homser Wrote:

> The kicker is supposed to point toward the back. For it to work properly

> you probably have to run pegs instead of pedals

Jeremy. While I want to agree with you. I have two of these engines and seeing this third in the video and the guy pulling it with his hand same as my two does not make me confident that they have ever been able to be kicked back properly. These engines have electric starters on them so the kick is secondary.

20200430_160414.jpg

Tank came in! Not the most perfect tank but it is not bad at all. A little longer than the magnum tank, but not by much. The width is pretty close, it is almost completely hidden behind the front end when looking straight on. The bike is starting to look like a bike again. Now if only the seat would come in so I can finish mounting the tank. Had to make some interesting mounting solutions for the tank so far. I am super confident in this holding up really well especially once attached with the seat.

20200430_160543.jpg
20200430_162453.jpg

The zip ties are just temporary while the glue dries on the rubber on the top to keep the tank better positioned on the top bar. Haters gonna hate but i think it will work just fine.

Is that just cardboard holding up the tank? What happens when it gets wet?

Why not make some spacers and bolt or weld them to the frame. It's a nice build so hate to see kinda hasty decisions for making things work. Doing nice work so mabye think a little more about your tank mounting.

The cardboard is a temp fix for now, I will most likely replace it with something a little more waterproof. I was looking at something like a pool noodle cut in half. The cardboard used however is more of a composite material, not to mention it is almost 1/2 inch thick. If I decide to stick with this material I may see about coating it with some kind of sealer to prevent any water damage. I also live in a desert so I do not plan on getting this guy too wet ever. Also this top piece offers no real structural integrity. If my actual mounting points fail this does nothing to hold the tank down. It only adds some girth under the tank.

The issue with the new tank is that it has a much deeper and wider well underneath and I needed to have some of the space filled tighter or I was afraid the bracket in the front and the where it will be held in back would be weakened as the tank would shift while riding and eventually cause it to stress and break. This helps sturdy it up a lot more. I also don't want to alter this frame from stock. Especially not welding more weight to it. This way or a fun noodle way adds little weight and also provides some padding to let the tank not sit just on a stiff hard surface. You know a little bit of some vibration dampening.

I appreciate the concern and kind words regarding my build. Since I am limited to my own workshop for fabrication, I need to be less limited by imagination. I am also not trying to convince anyone that this was a genius solution and to try it themselves, but just a glimpse into some of my ninja-neering. When I come on a better solution I will be replacing this for sure. Only 3 clamps secure it to the frame so removing it is easy.

Thanks again everyone for looking over my build thread. Please keep the comments and ideas coming.

Emil Kniemel /

what keeps the adapted tube rubber grommet front tank mount from sliding down? i guess the tank now holds that part up?

sorta like belt loops attached to the pants holding up the belt that holds the pants up by the belt loops. i guess.

Jeremy Homser /
moped-army-7232f4c8241bae046feeea8615b9ab74.jpg

That engine is a copy of the euro puch engines that are found on many bikes, alot are in spain. The kick lever is supposed to face back. They only faced them forward on the quad because the lever would hit the rear wheels and they had electric start so it didnt matter.

They must have different kick lever. If I put mine backward like that the foot part folds wrong.

The front bracket is pinched to the frame and tightened to not move. The tank rests on the frame, the front bracket stabilizes it from shifting to the sides only. It is no different from what was originally on the frame. All of the bolts/nuts for the brackets have red thread lock on them to prevent anything from backing out. The rear tab on the tank is attached to the frame along with the seat...or will be once I get the seat.

For now I am just about finished with the tank. Just some clear coats and it's all set. It turned out pretty good for just some rattle can and masking tape.

20200505_161705.jpg
20200505_161813.jpg
20200505_161748.jpg

Emil Kniemel /

Whoa great masking job! Lookin real 70s

> Emil Kniemel Wrote:

> Whoa great masking job! Lookin real 70s

Thanks! Cant wait till the seat comes in. I think it is really gonna bring it all together. I also have some sheet metal I may make a couple side panels from. But that might be down the line a bit as I am super sick of painting.

Loving the color scheme, and the tank, I think you did quite well,

Oh man. Wrenched all day. Got the seat sorted out and all the bits and pieces put back on. Only a few things I am still waiting on. My temp gauge needs a new wire. On order. And I also have a housing for the temp gauge that fits in the headlight speedo hole.

I also need to mount my tail lights and run the electrical. I hate electrical shit. I need to draw it out so I can wrap my head around it a bit more. I have all LED on a 12v cdi. I have a regulator and a kill switch I need to put in the mix.

I think I can figure it all out but there could be a wiring help post un the repair forum soon. Ha!

I know I did not focus on the engine bits as much on this build but I was doing more work on making the bike I wanted to ride. I can always dive back into engine bits later. I also have a second engine that I could do all the breakdown and rebuild on. I need to do some measuring to see if I can replace clutch and crank parts easily. I know when I put the cyl on I had a lot of clearance at BDC from the top of the piston to the bottom of the exhaust port so I know that can get opened up some. The top of the piston is flush with the top of the cyl at TDC so I know the shimming is good.

20200509_195057.jpg
20200509_195112.jpg

Again cool build but your seat is way to long. If you could cut off about six inches of the front and lower the whole thing it would look cool. I have the same seat in my cb125 and I also ha e the same tank here I think sitting in my shop. Or if you could lengthen the swing arm that would look cool also. (edited)

I dont think I can cut the seat successfully. It is all plastic on the bottom and I am not good at seat making. I am not too concerned about the added length of the seat at this time. I do like the idea of a little longer swing arm. I'll have to find a welder to help make that happen tho. Maybe it will help me do more wheelies like this.

Thanks for the ideas satan!

Emil Kniemel /

Proportions are kinda whacky. Reminds me of hobbit top tank conversions. I feel like this seat could work for you:

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-mini-racer-seat-p/puch-mini-racer-seat.htm

Those Puch 1.5 seats are kind of small actually. I think that seat would work. I think the angle is off. Maybe just mod the bracket to make it more in line with the tank. I like the overall look of it. Looks like a fun bike.

I had used some aluminum tubing to make the brackets to get the seat to attach to the frame. I may see about finding a smaller diameter tube to use. That would let the seat drop a bit more. It feels comfortable for me to sit on. I am pretty tall so it is nice. A few things will be changing up a bit. Gotta lose the pedal chain. Just not gonna work. Also going to use pegs. That will allow me to put the kickstand in a better place too.

Thanks again for the ideas. I dont think I will change the seat other than the position of it.

I should have it moving this week as long as I sort out the wiring. But I've had this engine running on another bike so I just have to remember how it all connects together.

Well you know when you fail at life and you have to go a different direction than originally planned? That is why is happening here. My attempts to get the current engine setup running have fantastically failed. I then open to go toward a za50 route, but recieved a less than adequate engine for my money spent. It is going to require more time and effort than I have skill for, so while I am getting thru this learning curve I am going to just build a mild setup an e50, I can then move the top end parts over to the za50 when that is ready to go. I am still trying to figure out what I want and can do with the current engine because I want it to work so bad I just find myself at a complete loss with it right now. Tucson is a moped desert when it comes to riders and wrenchers. The few moped folks I do know are not able to really help with what I need. I need to find a local 2stroke shop that is willing to do some funky stuff.

I will share the progress as I continue to do things with this bike. I do plan on getting this thing fired up within the next week. Lord fucking willing. Oh and I also just recieved a seat I ordered months ago that had been lost in the mail at the start of the covid. It is even cooler than I expected and might solve a few of my mounting issues with the current seat.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account