Re: Weapon of choice

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Someone lifted all of my tools from my storage unit. woopee. Luckily, I

> didn't have any of my bikes in there. phew

>

> So, I'll be needing to rebuild my stock.

>

> What are some of the brands you use and might recommend? I'm always open

> to try something different

free is not an option i suppose?

Free is always better . :)

Some of my best tools have been free . Found along the road or just plain : ' here , I don't want these anymore ' .

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Ive been meaning to go through my tools for some time now. I know i have excess and could donate some misc things. I could probably piece together a decent socket set (Metric & SAE) along with some wrenches, pliers, hammers, pipe wrench, etc... if you forsee yourself in Cincinnati in the future I can start putting together some extras and I would donate them to you. Hell hit Wess & me up and you might have a decent set to get going again.

Also, im going to vouch for harbor freight tools. Not everything, but ive had good luck out of their sockets & rachets believe it or not. I have 2 snap on (id probably give you those if you want the hassle) 3/8's that crapped out on me and tracking down a dealer was more annoying that what its worth, so i just bought a 3/8 (metal) rachet from harborfreight and I abuse that thing. Plus they will swap you out no questions / receipts asked and you always know where the store is at.

I feel like craftsman was always mid grade crap, but their warranty was the gravy that got people coming back. Nowadays to return their tools the right way you must mail them in and pay postage, or lie to home depot and swap. The quality of their tools nowadays are no better than Harbor freight and harbor freight is way less hassle to exchange.

> P D Wrote:

> Free is always better . :)

>

> Some of my best tools have been free . Found along the road or just

> plain : ' here , I don't want these anymore ' .

I offered.....crickets. I made tool kits for my children and a few friends for free. I still have tons. It’s amazing what people discard or lose. I am the 10 mm king over here. Hit up jimm he’s closer.

Emil Kniemel /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> gear wrench is actually real sweet. i got some i really like.

>

> most of my tools are a mishmash of whatever was available when i needed

> things. I have some snap-on and mac tools for more critical stuff or

> things i use a lot but generally just whatever. they were all used.

>

> I also have a lot of motion pro for moto stuff - their tire levers are

> one of the best tools i've ever bought. I have the T6 and LOVE them but

> the beadpro look even better, though i carry my tools often and the

> beadpro are WAY heavier.

>

> Also motion pro for my chain breaker. I regret not buying their truing

> g stand but it was out of stock.

>

> only specific I'd highly recommend is the vessel impacta JIS#2 for a

> phillips driver. it's life changing, internal impact driver in a compact

> easy and good quality good fitting JIS #2 driver.

> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7i8AAOSw3adelmoL/s-l500.png

I got one of these. Love it as a normal screw driver. Never got around to trying the impact function until recently. How do i tell if it’s working? Is it a visible movement?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

My awesome weapon of choice...

Rebar pliers. The most intimidating weapon/tool a hammer pick with side cutters and a fork split grabber jaw and the base has a section to plie too.

Makes a ball pean look like a cobblers toy.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I've thrown away 60 lbs in used tools in the past year. Offered them to anyone in NYC who wanted to come grab them, had no takers. Scrappers got them all.

Seymour butts, for sure

My motto with tools has always been, if I use it all the time, buy a good one. If I'm gonna use it once, harbor freight.

"Cheap" tools have really stepped it up over the years. Husky makes some quality stuff.

Josiah Radebaugh /

oh yeah

Hey, can't beat free. I would be more than happy to grab a few pounds, but I won't be up there anytime soon.

Picked up a 200 something Crescent set to get movin'

I'll have to raid the flea markets to catch some good deals on some more expensive items. name of the game eh

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> I'll have to raid the flea markets to catch some good deals on some more

> expensive items. name of the game eh

Don't forget about picking up cheap spares of what you already have , just to modify for 'special' use .

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > OH!

>

> >

>

> > and park tools CN-10 cable cutter. I used to fix bicycles and a good

>

> > cable cutter is an absolute must. there are other good ones but if

>

> > you're tryna use regular cable snips you deserve the suffering it

>

> > causes...

>

> >

>

> >

> https://www.rei.com/media/cd0f0499-8069-4565-894c-2a73c8c84700?size=784x588

>

> parktools shit is so fucking good but so money. They sell all sorts of

> really cool presses and pullers that totally work well for mopeds. Their

> headset and bottom bracket shit is awesome for weirdo moped tasks. If

> you can afford it, their t handle drivers are leaps and bounds better

> than anything you could buy at home depot or w/e

We were non profit and volunteer based at the co-op and had essentially free rent in an unusable corner of a parking lot, so we sold/rented bikes super cheap and parts at cost or free. As a result we built up a decent kitty. I was technically "mechanical chair" which meant i was in charge of parts and tools and training classes. We decided to make a rule that any time we needed a tool we didnt have, we had to buy the tool - no matter how stupid. I think we first bought a bottom bracket rethreader for like close to $500 even with our huge discount, just to save a rusted shit $75 wal-mart mountain bike that we gave away for free. But it meant we had a sweet pile of good tools.

That CN-10 cutter is like 40 bucks, but totally worth it. If you're working on a lot of bikes, that's 3 cables per bike.

Pedros makes good stuff too, but especially for the cable cutter/crimper the CN-10 is where it's at, cuz not only will it clean cut cables (I've cut at least a thousand cables over the past decade and it's stil lflawless) but also it's got crimpers built in too for cable end caps and the cable housing end caps. which if you're not using, you should - if you've gotta take a wheel off and your cables all frayed you're either poking the hell out of yourself or replacing the cable cuz it wont go through the clamp anymore, or both. A good clean cable cut and a crimped end and it's no problem, like ever again. And the cable housing caps you have to use those if you're shortening cables, or the raw cut end gets all shitty.

re: the impacta impact function, how you know it's working is the stuck bolt isnt stuck anymore!

it's a small twist, but you can kinda push on it really hard and see it twist a little bit. But really you just strike the shit out of it hard with a hammer til the screw/bolt comes out and 95% of the time, it does. even some really stuck and stripped shit. the only time it's failed me is when it's so stuck it just ripped the head off the bolt.

Emil Kniemel /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> re: the impacta impact function, how you know it's working is the stuck

> bolt isnt stuck anymore!

>

> it's a small twist, but you can kinda push on it really hard and see it

> twist a little bit. But really you just strike the shit out of it hard

> with a hammer til the screw/bolt comes out and 95% of the time, it does.

> even some really stuck and stripped shit. the only time it's failed me

> is when it's so stuck it just ripped the head off the bolt.

Thanks for the reply. The screw i was working with ended up stripping. It was one of those hobbit handlebar screws that already had been messed with. Went the dremel flathead route.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account