Hello, not sure if there’s a section for new member introductions, if there is I apologize. Now that the old family heirloom is getting some love, I figured I’d join and learn.

My grandfather bought my 1978 Hobbit new so he could run down the block to his “second home” and not fear a DWI. My dad got it in the late 1980s, and I spent the 90s putting hundreds of miles on it both on road and off, as an alternative to a dirt bike. It always was plagued by tough starting and carb issues, stemming from a rusted gas tank.

I finally brought it to my house in upstate NY about 5 years ago, and found a new carb on amazon or eBay for cheap. Installation wasn’t too difficult, I simply dropped the engine off the frame. First one, then the other, pedal broke off years ago; the pedal crank sheared at the pedals. I remove the pedal crankshaft and cut the welds that hold the sprocket on it to remove the sprocket, then welded it to new 5/8” round stock, and replaced the factory nylon bushings with brass. Ultimately, that was not necessary because I never put the pedals back on, as you can see in my pictures. Once the crankshaft was back in, I simply cut the shaft to the length I wanted, making foot pegs. I also removed the gas tank, filled it with some Ospho and some old nuts, and proceeded to shake it like a Polaroid for quite some time to remove scale.

This past December, I brought it with us on vacation to our home in FL, and it wound up staying here. I exceed the factory weight capacity by 40 lbs and it certainly enjoys the flat FL roads compared to the hills of NY. My father didn’t like the pegs on his feet, so he fashioned the wood foot rests secured by copper pipe hangers. I may fab up some grated metal foot rests in the future, but for now this works. I’ve removed the chain to reduce drag.

Other than the carb and pedal shaft, the machine is original, save for the fuel shut off valve and line I installed, and the front brake cable. I’m about to hit 2900 miles, 150 of which were accumulated in the last week and a half.

You may be thinking “you’re gonna want pedals!” but I disagree. With the decompression lever depressed and full choke, it takes less than a foot of pushing the bike while sitting on it to start it, even after it had sat 4 months of winter. Once started, I ride it maybe 20 feet before going full throttle and releasing the choke, like it’s supposed to run.

My last tank, however, the machine would max at 14 mph; after a few miles, it would eventually eek up to 16-17. That tank had some stable. I just put in fresh fuel and it seems to hit 17mph a little bit sooner. I need to check to make sure I’m getting full throttle plate opening when I turn the grip; if not, I guess I’ll have to chalk it up to carrying my extra burden, and it being 42 years old on original engine internals. The plug shows perfect fuel/air mix and it starts so instantly and runs so smoothly, I doubt it has any engine issues. If anyone has other ideas, I’m all ears!

3152FD10-8152-4976-AD68-86862DE1F330.jpeg
A93943D1-9D62-443F-988D-93E885A51DD0.jpeg

Re: New member

One more.

6452D6B4-4BF6-4C01-BE69-8AC4F9093587.jpeg

Buy a pedal shaft and some pedals from treatland.tv or doscycles.com. Also new tires, I can see the dry rot from here. I'm amazed that you guys put so many miles on a stock 20mph hobbit. Nice bike!

Emil Kniemel /

I think the top speed of the PA50i's is originally rated for 20mph so 17mph is probably normal. Your variator/weights/belt probably having issues now too.

Yep, you have a I, top speed is 20, there is a section in the wiki about how to upgrade to the II specs if you care to.

Pushrod Fifty /

Sweet Hobbit.

Thanks for the compliments. The “basket” is for beer runs up to the Winn Dixie. I ride it everywhere I can down here, saving the miles on my truck.

Yeah it’s a I so 18-20 mph is all I can look for, the 14 mph is what gave me pause. I thought about upgrading it to a II, but then just figured I’d find a II if that’s what I needed.

The tires are tubed, and will be ran until they fail.

I have absolutely no need for pedals; if I ever wanted to put them on I’d simply notch the crankshaft and put them on but again, I have no need for them and don’t want them, I don’t like riding with my feet offset.

I was wondering if I have some variator issues, but not sure what symptoms it shows. It doesn’t ride like anything is slipping, the engine just doesn’t come up to full speed until a few miles ignored warming up. The belt was replaced in December. It takes off from a stop nice and strong, and has decent pull (relatively) whenever I let off and get back on the throttle. My goal is to hit 3k by June with it.

Barack Obama /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yep, you have a I, top speed is 20, there is a section in the wiki about

> how to upgrade to the II specs if you care to.

It’s a lot of work best to just find a complete pa2 engine

Rear pulley may need to be cleaned up?

Pushrod Fifty /

I see the problem. No beer in the crate.

The tires are tubed, and will be ran until they fail

Lol. Your face, bro. Ya know when dry rotted tires fail, it’s instant. Tubes don’t add strength. At all. And they are as dry rotted as your tires. So when that front tire goes, it’s your face that will make first contact with the road.

Your face bro. But I want pics of the carnage and blood.

By the way, welcome! Don’t die.

Pushrod Fifty /

In nicer words you should replace tires for safety when cracking appears. You dont want a hospital roomate that has the dreaded C19.

Appreciate all the concern for my well being, but the tires are fine right now. Even if they weren’t, a blow out isn’t some huge explosion that renders a machine uncontrollable, especially on a 15 mph moped; if it was a highway cruiser I’d be more cautious. I’ve had a few blowouts over the years on other machines and bikes, it’s really no big deal. The front is worse than the rear, but it’ll last until I get around to it. I’ve seen year-old tires in worse shape than these; people get a bit too nervous these days IMO. The outer layer may have some a few cracks, but the inner layer is likely fine. The tube doesn’t add strength per se but does form a barrier to keep that reactive oxygen from attacking and breaking down the rubber compound from the inside out. Now that the bike will see more UV and heat, I will continue to watch them and replace as needed; I may do it this winter just for something to do, but I sure won’t be ordering one and hope it gets delivered before I go back North in a few weeks, for a few weeks.

Until then, beer runs will continue. 👍 Who knows, might even shave a stash, pick up some leathers from the local Salvo, and pull up to the local biker bar for a brew. 😆

New fuel, sans Stabil, does see the Hobbit getting up to full throttle in shorter time once leaving The Shire, probably down to 0.5-0.75 mi, so I’m going with less octane as the cause.

57FC0A03-6E83-47B9-8C81-E391FE92615B.jpeg
325F1D0B-5CE8-40D6-BCDF-BF4D98EEBB57.jpeg

Those don't look too bad, I just replaced the og tires on my '78 2 years ago now I think it is, safety aside, they ride SO much nicer, totally worth doing. I air them up to 40 for an extra mph or two, what I really need is to drop 20 lbs though.

Overpriced Parts /

You are not a member you are a rider. A member is somebody who belongs to a gang that has it icon next to their name, like these Who have rallies:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/events/map/

Dan (high idle) Conway /

You’re gonna need pedals sometime... it’s a moped, at some point you’re gonna wish you had pedals to get you back home, or the walk of shame becomes the walk of pain.

Nice hobbit congrats on putting in the time to get it back on the road.

Pushrod Fifty /

Or the Uber of shame.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Easiest way for more mph, get a pa50II ramp plate. Adjust the weight, of the weights, until satisfied. You have more plate, less ramp.

Hi Josh, get tires.

Sincerely,

Your face.

(Just joking around but these little fuckers WILL try to kill you at some point. please get new tires.)

And welcome!

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You are not a member you are a rider. A member is somebody who belongs

> to a gang that has it icon next to their name, like these Who have

> rallies:

>

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/events/map/

Hey, Josh.

This is Ken's way of saying "Hello."

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account