Rigid forks, for real diehards only no wimps!

okay but for real. I want to hear your personal experience with full rigid forks. Ciaos preferred but those Murray? Ones too. I hear lots of people say they will probably suck. Which is probably true. But let's hear it from the dinguses themselves that ride full rigid! I'm in the process of building a ciao with rigid forks so let's hear those stories. Also opinions without experience will be shamed.

Re: Rigid forks, for real diehards only no wimps!

Full rigid free spirit with a 60s bicycle seat hurt me more than any other bike ever has. Super nimble and light but no joke on the bumps.

Yeah the trick to ciaos is the seat. Springer and comfy. I've ridden more on a rigid rear ciao than any other bike. Its really just the forks I'm concerned about

I personally would not even do it after riding hardtail only...shame me I don't care, but solid forks on anything with an engine and the kind of weight a moped has seems, well, uh just asking for it.

I think you should do it . Just think of all the memories solids will jar loose about the many miles ridden on the no suspension bicycle you had when you were just a wee lad . LOL

Wolf Wizard /

I can tell you they are 100% sick. And the only reason to do it at all is looks. Black Plummer’s pipe can be sanded with a flap wheel to be just the right size to hammer up into most stock forks. Hammer the ends flat , drill a hole and make a slit for the axle, then hammer them in, line everything up good so the axle is both level and straight, and weld around the joint!

514EC2F0-1455-440D-8A0D-EC105AA375A7.jpeg

I should add, the black Plummer’s pipe worked for these kreidler forks and some maxi forks just fine and easy. No clue if it’s good for a Vespa. (edited)

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think you should do it . Just think of all the memories solids will

> jar loose about the many miles ridden on the no suspension bicycle you

> had when you were just a wee lad . LOL

I'll pass....7 is a rough ride and it has front suspension, none in back, it's ok slow and on back roads....but not my first choice.

Emil Kniemel /

Im pretty ignorant and started with roadbikes (entirely rigid with skinny tires) but is it more of like a technique thing? Like sit on it like a saddle vs like a seat? That is keep most of the weight in your legs vs your butt.

But yeah no experience with rigids so yeah.

A bicycle is much lighter than a moped.

nice rigg

If you do it, run the biggest tire you can with the lowest safe pressure. That gets you a little padding.

Get the cushion grips. The kind that have tall ridges.

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-stock-style-PALM-TICKLER-grips-BLACK-p/palm-tickler-grips-black.htm

As said before, riding position is very important. If you’re leaning forward, tucking, forget it. Or get a mouth guard. Sitting straight up, with your weight on your ass, is best.

Suspension is not just a comfort item. It is a safety/performance issue. It keeps the tire in contact with the road over small bumps. No suspension travel means the tire leaves the ground and has greater potential to loose traction when coming back down if you are maneuvering.

My only relevant experience is from my motorized bike I built years ago. I wouldn’t consider any reason good enough to intentionally delete suspension.

Why do you ask? What’s the plan?

What is that moped in the picture? It looks like it broke out of a Mexican jail and has been celebrating drinking beer for a week straight with no sleep and shower.

wait for real you used black plumbers pipe?! that's some real rigid steel with super low toughness, brittle. like bordering on cast iron.

And then welded an angle in so it's flexing on a weld between a high carbon steel and a dissimilar stock fork bottom?

fucking gnarly, that's a level of not giving a shit i'd have a hard time reaching.

i mean i love that bike but i'm genuinely concerned about fatiguing that angle and disconnecting the frontend

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> fucking gnarly, that's a level of not giving a shit i'd have a hard time

> reaching.

Yeah, I don't trust poopy pipe to keep me from turning into a road schmear.

12e071a9788c9156734bfe93b6ae9a24.jpg

I put a lot of miles on this. Its the seat that gets ya not the rigidness of it all. Its the most fun moped and feels like riding a BMX bike.

Then there's mine. But it only sees smooth kart tracks. Potholes and rough roads will make you a broken man.

Full rigid, chromoly fork tubes

IMG_20200309_154528.jpg
IMG_20191018_180830.jpg

Yeah see i think the bar/seat geometry is the determining factor.

> baird co Wrote:

> Then there's mine. But it only sees smooth kart tracks. Potholes and

> rough roads will make you a broken man.

>

> Full rigid, chromoly fork tubes

This

IMG_20190501_222913290.jpg

Is way more fun than this:

received_5896427749806872.jpeg

Fat tires make it a lot more rideable.

Either way the frame & forks are a bit bendy so it handles funny. Gotta take it slow around some corners and read the road a lot more than cushier bikes but it's blasty and fun af as a result

Why punish your back like that? Shocks were in vented for a reason. Comfort on long rides.

No rigid for me,thanks. Even my motorized tire scrubber Kaw bike has shocks.

Interesting ride with rigid forx

RebChopper.jpg

Interesting-er when it is rigid forx on a bone rattler...

Cady.jpg

my ciao was originally on a stock rigid ciao fork. it was really fun and went like 50, but you could straight up die from hitting a pothole wrong. similar to a bmx bike in geometry. super fun to whip around on. had bmx bike bars for a little while too...

Ride with all your weight on the pedals. Your knees are the suspension.

2F419BBF-E5D8-4B83-B573-357CDD19F4D0.jpeg

I second the bigger tires definitely help and tuning your geometry so your weight is not all ass in the seat. Or at least be able to shift weight to pedals quickly!

You guys should realize that the only reason most kids bicycles have no suspension is kids are standing on the pedals 98% of the time . ;)

If I thought it would do any good ... I wish I had an x-ray of my back to post so you could see exactly what no suspension can do to your spine .

I start my day by having to adjust my back , and , adjustments need to happen multiple times each day . It's pretty much a constant battle against debilitation and pain .

Spring in the seat and it’s fine and dandy until you hit a surprise pot hole. I rode mine for years and loved it, never let me down but everyone who I loaned it too ended up crashing it. Every time it got dumped on the right side it would explode the throttle tube too. When it got stolen I rested easy with the knowledge that the someone who stole it was going to hurt them selves on it. When I recovered it a year and a half later sure enough it had been crashed on the right side and the throttle tube was broken. It was basically the same as it was when it got stolen, some other little stuff like the ring was in 2 pieces and they couldn’t figure out how to time the revo/tomos ignition on and e50. It didn’t get resprayed and they didn’t loose any parts! It was found in a storage unit by the airport (junkie part of town)

Also this happens eventually too

CF7E28BB-687D-456B-8152-30A301D42EF9.jpeg

(edited)

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Spring in the seat and it’s fine and dandy until you hit a surprise pot

> hole. I rode mine for years and loved it, never let me down but everyone

> who I loaned it too ended up crashing it. Every time it got dumped on

> the right side it would explode the throttle tube too.

Why did every one wreck on it? Not strong enough breaks? What about it being rigid did not work for folks?

Nah, brakes are great on it, they may have even attributed to at least one of the crashes when it rained on a ride. I raced it a few times and did really well, beat a bunch of variated bikes in the stock class and only got passed by the cheaters. My lap times in qualifying were only a couple points off of hanging with the hot bois with fast 70cc derbi’s.

A number of different reasons caused them to crash, usually not paying attention or getting too comfortable on it. Most people forget how suddenly unforgiving it can be because it’s such a smooth ride.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Spring in the seat and it’s fine and dandy until you hit a surprise

> pot

>

> > hole. I rode mine for years and loved it, never let me down but

> everyone

>

> > who I loaned it too ended up crashing it. Every time it got dumped on

>

> > the right side it would explode the throttle tube too.

>

> Why did every one wreck on it? Not strong enough breaks? What about it

> being rigid did not work for folks?

Guess I would have been one of the noobs crashing. Ha!

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Nah, brakes are great on it, they may have even attributed to at least

> one of the crashes when it rained on a ride. I raced it a few times and

> did really well, beat a bunch of variated bikes in the stock class and

> only got passed by the cheaters. My lap times in qualifying were only a

> couple points off of hanging with the hot bois with fast 70cc derbi’s.

>

> A number of different reasons caused them to crash, usually not paying

> attention or getting too comfortable on it. Most people forget how

> suddenly unforgiving it can be because it’s such a smooth ride.

>

> > Jay Rivett Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Spring in the seat and it’s fine and dandy until you hit a surprise

>

> > pot

>

> >

>

> > > hole. I rode mine for years and loved it, never let me down but

>

> > everyone

>

> >

>

> > > who I loaned it too ended up crashing it. Every time it got dumped

> on

>

> >

>

> > > the right side it would explode the throttle tube too.

>

> >

>

> > Why did every one wreck on it? Not strong enough breaks? What about

> it

>

> > being rigid did not work for folks?

The Carabela Motomatic I just got, and almost got finished with has these funky rear shocks in it, and they don't move at all. Neither do the forks. So it's totally rigid.

Im thinking it's all stuck from sitting forever, and I'll hit one good bump and the while thing will bottom out as the suspension breaks loose.

IMG_20200521_233858.jpg

I love my hard tails, but our roads are too shitty. A pothole on rigid ciao forks will get me pretty hurt

Definitely fill your bars with great stuff to kill vibrations

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account