Kickstart Shaft

Can a broken kickstart shaft on Honda Cub be welded ?

Thanks

Re: Kickstart Shaft

Pushrod Fifty /

Steel welds real easy.

I wasn’t sure if the seal would be a problem as far as clearance or leakage was concerned. Can the broken piece be welded with the shaft in the case. I hope , Ihope.

Thanks

Dirty30 Dillon /

You are going to have to split the cases, either to replace or to weld. Or, just bump start and wait to rebuild the motor proper.

Tim..any time you.have heat and a seal involved you will have problems..

you can try, for sure. The kicker shaft is a super common problem, and no easy solution, may be the bigggest weakpoint of the cubs really. but as mentioned, you can just pushstart it, i did for years even when i did have a good kickshaft

I’ve started taking it apart and so far have removed the flywheel cylinder head, cylinder and case bolts,waiting on the tool to remove the clutch.when I split the case what side should face up and what should I be especially careful ? Would a weld fix be better than using a Chinese part , I’m having trouble finding a original. Thanks

Pushrod Fifty /

Yahoo groups had a Cub group and it had service manual downloads. Thats what I used when I did mine 12 years ago for worn crank bearings. Not sure if they are still around. Usually the manuals tell you which case side to open while keeping the crank and trans in the opposite side. I wouldnt attempt without. If you brought a shaft from dratv.com I would trust it, just mount the kicker lever back a little so it doesnt make a full cycle. I brought a used one on ebay for a Trail 90. Welding the shaft will deform it just enough to cause assembly issues and binding in the clutch cover bore.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account