Driving 9 hours for a Derbi

I ended up not driving out to pick up the Derbi, Instead I drove 3 hours and picked up these two guys. It was $200 more, but I got a Ciao and a Tomos. I felt the need to grab these guys instead, since I love Ciaos and know someone who could use the Tomos. I'm hoping the Derbi is still on the table, as I will make a day of it for sure. I got the Ciao running, but the Tomos has no spark. Never had a Tomos before the only thing I know about this one is, it's 1983, and i dont even know what model it is. It has a 2 sp though.

4e0dc62b9c644a528a818d0cce3430b6.jpg
b76db0d56550403fa6f790dc3cecd4a7.jpg

Re: Driving 9 hours for a Derbi

looks like the Ciao has got the Tomos' front rim

It is an A3 clean and gap the points. If that does not work try a new condenser.

Tomos:

what you have is an A35 frame with A3 wheels and engine. thats some sort of aftermarket intake with a delorto SHA on it, a nice upgrade. A3s are slow but reliable and there's the A3 Airsal kit if ya wanna riiiip.

Good deal for those. That front end on the ciao is great.

I found the derbi you are looking at. Pretty good deal, too, even though it needs a top end rebuild (at least). I wouldn’t do a 9 hour trip for it, though, unless there were things to see and do on the way, and a place to stay the night.

That being said, the drive from you to the Derbi is great, take the scenic route through Joshua Tree and stay the night and explore in Havasu.

That derbi is in havasu!

that a3 airsal kit is fucking perect for a circuit pipe and a 15 sha. super fun 50ish build.

i think thats a whole tomos front end, on that ciao, it looks like it... that's cool. ciao forks suck. i'm pretty sure that could be fit together pretty decent too.

derbis are over rated.

I would do 9 hours on a Derbi, sounds fun.

@EH FCC of the QCB, I got into the magneto and it was covered in some greasy substance, magnets everything. Brake cleaner and going at the points, I popped my cherry by getting the moped running when it had no spark, first time ever for me!!

@Full Tuck. The Tomos has a performance exhaust pipe on it as well. It had trouble staying running but luckily I had an air box for a Dellorto and it’s running fine, starts up after a few kicks every time. However, I think a crankshaft bearing is shot cuz you can hear that metal on metal kinda grinding sound, not that big of a deal, most people assume that’s just the way the motor sounds. And you are absolutely right about the Tomos being real slow, even with the pipe, it takes forever to get up to speed, holy Moses. A posted a pic of the pipe

899D5AC4-4A34-48F2-86D4-C5F36ACFFF17.jpeg

A3's are slow but it should not be that slow. Did you replace the tranny fluid? Maybe the carb needs some better tuning for the pipe...

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Piped up A3 is pretty quick. I set one up for a neighbor and it was surprisingly fast off the line. You may have a blown clutch? Idk I would pop the cover off, inspect the clutches and replace the trans fluid. I want to say that Fuego is like a boss pipe and more of a high rever but I am not 100%. I like the Techno Bullet for a budget pipe. But who knows. It is an older bike with a pipe. Somebody may have popped it in with out an up jet and could have low compression. I would start with the trans. If it looks good. Pop the head off and inspect the cylinder. If it looks like it is scored I would pull the top end and check the piston and rings and replace if needed.

I did change out the oil with some synthetic and with a little tuning, its not to bad. Its a tad sluggish off the line but picks up and moves along. to about 29 mph before 4 stroking. Its a pretty nice ride, and can see why people like Tomos. I like it for the fact that not only the tail light and headlight work, but the brake light as well. Im grateful and have zero complaints considering it was practically a throw in on the deal.

I have a ZA50, and i read and heard that the crankcase should be filled with 13oz of oil, and to overfill just a bit, but my motor took down almost the whole quart of synthetic, and still wasnt topped off. She was parched.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Nile A Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have a ZA50, and i read and heard that the crankcase should be filled

> with 13oz of oil, and to overfill just a bit, but my motor took down

> almost the whole quart of synthetic, and still wasnt topped off. She was

> parched.

You don't "fill" the crankcase with oil. 13 oz. fills the trans to operating level.

Just like you don't pour oil into your car until it comes out the fill hole.

^ Correct, drain and refill with right amount, never had a Tomos, but some older bikes don't like synthetic oil in the trans, I would use whatever the og specs are for oil.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account