How do cable tachometers work? (AR50/80)

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I'm building a Minarelli P6 racer bike and the set of wheels I selected for this project are from a Kawasaki AR80. The front wheel included the hub and pinion for the speedometer . . . so I went to eBay and bought an NOS compatible speedometer from a KH100. I wanted to buy the similarly styled tachometer to fit but it got me thinking . . .

The backs of these tachometers have inserts for cables just like the speedometer . . So, does the engine on these ARs have some kind of pinion in the flywheel that the cable attaches to (similarly to the speedometer hub on the front wheel)? If so, basically I'm out of luck trying to use one of these with my Minarelli P6 engine, right? Without heavy modification?

s-l1600.jpg

I guess I would have to go the route of using the kind that you wire to the negative side of your coil. Kinda sucks because I wanted to have a tach and speedometer that matched styling wise.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account