Pump gas in a fiberglass tank.

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

I have one of these fiberglass tanks from treats (https://www.treatland.tv/fiberglass-race-gas-tank-2-p/fiberglass-gas-tank-2.htm). The description says, "for display purposes or museum bikes only. if you intend on putting gas in them, you are using it at your own risk and you are on your on in that regard".

Am I going to destroy this tank if I were to use gas that has ethanol in it? My intent is to use Pure ethanol-free gasoline from a local airport but I am curious if these can even handle some ethanol. If you have any experience with these tanks please share.

Obviously most of the bikes that use fiberglass tanks are race bikes, so they are probably running pure gas and being flushed and cleaned after every use. So, I would assume these cannot handle the use case that the tanks on normal street bikes see. Thanks in advance.

Edit: can I seal the tank (with some like Caswell) to help it withstand some semi-normal use?(edited)

Re: Pump gas in a fiberglass tank.

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

I would try to seal it, but it might make more sense to cut it on the seam and insert a fuel cell if your doing racing

Definitely find a compatible sealer.

I think part of the reason they have the disclaimer is safety.

Metal tanks dent and bend in a crash. Fiberglass will crack and spill.

Perhaps not as big a deal in a moped.

I imagine if it’s not mounted really solid it could crack from vibrations too.

Pushrod Fifty /

Fuel tanks made from plastics need to be of cross linked material. Fiberglass is linear linked, poly gas tanks are cross linked. Caswell is cross linked also. Lining with Caswell may work for a few tankfulls but best is a tank designed for gas in the first place. One little void in the Caswell due to a knitline or gap from expansion of dissimilar materials will allow the gas to eat the fiberglass.

Maybe insert some sort of small fuel latter? Sealing would make sense too.

Why not buy a tank for real usage , rather than something for looks ?

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

I don't really get this suggestion lol. These fiberglass tanks are not for looks, they are for racing. They are designed to be used for racing in 2 stroke moto gp, usually overseas. They are insanely light in comparison to one of the same size made from metal.

The disclaimer is definitely a safety thing because yeah they just break open in a crash, spilling all the fuel. So it's a fire hazard, definitely not DOT approved.

I think I'm going to go with a good coat of Caswell, some swear by it for lining their fiberglass tanks. On top of that, I will just stick to pure gas as well.

The idea of cutting it open and adding a fuel cell is. . . . interesting. Perhaps on a flat bottom tank it would be easier. It would have to be a very precisely sized cell otherwise you are going to lose a LOT of capacity. These tanks have a HUGE channel that runs right through the middle of them so that they fit way down low on the center post of the frame for aerodynamics and to help tucking presumably. It would take a lot of custom fabrication work to make a metal cell that can actually hold a usable amount of fuel that fits within the confines of these tanks. On top of that, you'd have to split the damn thing open and reseal it together so that it look seamless again, what a royal PITA. Here's an idea of what they look like from the bottom and front so you can get an idea of how tight the inner space is:

ScreenShot2020-05-23at10.25.23pm.png
ScreenShot2020-05-23at10.26.16pm.png

Caswell even suggests usage for fiberglass tanks on their website, so I think this might be the way to go here (https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html).(edited)

Pushrod Fifty /

What is weight comparison?

If you can make a possibly 'fragile' tank durable/strong enough for every day use , great .

But , if it's gonna break apart with the first good bump , then it's best left alone .

Anyway , the tank you have pictured looks like it might stand up to some abuse and treated with Caswell's I'd think it should last .

Dirty30 Dillon /

The fiberglass is Most likely gas holding, but due to the cost of that piece, definitely do a Caswell coat. The Caswell will also increase the strength of the tank over as well.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Why not just do carbon fiber or something future

> 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Why not just do carbon fiber or something future

3d printed gas tanks!?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account