Cleaning

MICHAEL FRENCH /

Ok guys any tricks on cleaning 40 years of oil off of my vespa grande? It's got 1700 miles worth of oil and it's full if sand. Sitting there with a tooth brush and wd40 is going to take forever and that's the only thing I know to do.

Re: Cleaning

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Engine degreaser and a rag/toothbrush. Using the rag to wipe off large portions of grease, toothbrush for smaller. It will take a while, will be easier to do if you pull out the engine, its easy on the vespa

Take it to the quarter car wash and pressure wash the crap off .

Then take it home and polish it bright . ;)(edited)

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

If you pressure wash it make sure you have that rubber boot in on top of the engine so you don't get water in your ignition

MICHAEL FRENCH /

My concern with firing up the pressure washer was the electrical system, I'll just keep plugging along with diesel and a brush and papertowels. I just found the fuel leak that took it out of commission. Top of the back of the tank has little slag holes in the weld and it looks like its been leaking when full for years. 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

20200523_144316.jpg

Pressure washers have more than wide open settings, much faster, but yes seal certain things or just take the engine off as suggested.

MICHAEL FRENCH /

Couple of hours with a tooth brush and some diesel shes looking good. Got all the plastics back on rode her around the neighborhood

20200523_173934.jpg
20200523_173907.jpg

Looking good!

Dirty30 Dillon /

Those pores are definitely not letting gas out.

MICHAEL FRENCH /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Those pores are definitely not letting gas out.

The one towards the front is. I watched it squirt out when I learned the bike back then pushed a wire through it . I've got some fuel safe epoxy curing on it right now

20200523_182342.jpg
20200523_182414.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

Marine Tex gray will fix those holes if prepped right.

POR-15 Patch, man! Nothing better for small holes in a gas tank. Remember, you heard it here (first?)!

> Steven Davis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> POR-15 Patch, man! Nothing better for small holes in a gas tank.

> Remember, you heard it here (first?)!

Por 15 is best left on the retailers shelf .

Way too many horror stories and unhappy endings when it has been 'used'.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account