Minarelli V1 Transmission Oil

I have been wondering if anyone has ever had any negative experiences running type F instead of ND20W in their minarelli V1s. Would there be any benefit to running type F over 20W?

I have ND30W and Type F, I would like to use whatever would extend the lifespan of the clutch more.

Re: Minarelli V1 Transmission Oil

They have been recommending ND20 in them for 40 plus years. It can be hard to find so a lot of people use ND30. I've never seen or heard anyone say to use type F in a V1.

Although I've never replaced a clutch, I think it's just dealing with a gasket for the cover, the pads, and possibly springs. You would also need the correct puller. Many of them are already 40 to 45 years old, so don't expect them to last forever no matter what you put in the clutch bath.

It also will depend on your application. For example, is the bike stock, or kitted? Are you riding on level ground or hills? Are you exceeding the weight limit for the bike? I know I weigh 50 to 75 pounds more now than if did 40 years ago when I got my first V1 bike, and a lot of these bikes' max out at 320 to 340 pounds, and the bikes themselves weigh around 120, so we probably shouldn't weigh more than 220 ourselves.

I wouldn't try anything different than ND20 or ND30.

Rural King has gallon jugs of ND20 for around $25 and the bikes take about 20 ounces, so a gallon should take care of 8 oil changes.

I'd stick with the ND, unless you want to be the beta tester for type F.

And the specs call for one pint. Which is less than the overflow bolt. If I fill mine till it dribbles out the bolt, oil seeps out of the breather cap under hi RPMs.

๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ’ฆ Of the Loin /

I wouldn't use any of the oils you mentioned

20w-50 all day now (5w-20 is too light for these)

I only have type F and ND30W, im curious as to how both feel/perform. Ive heard that the clutch runs cooler on type F because it slips less, I can try both and see how it performs.

Any detergent based atf fluid will wear down the stock pads faster no?

ATF is too thin for v1 clutch

its a big steel boy, you want a thicker oil to tolerate all the banging together of metal parts

detergents don't do anything to your v1 clutch unless its a tomos cork clutch or a garelli rubber clutch

I think the issue with Detergeant oil is that it foams up and this will heat up the clutch and it should stay cool. ND30 is easier to find so a lot of people use it over the recommended ND20. It will take the ND30 slightly longer to warm up and become viscous, so if you do a lot of winter riding, this could become a problem. It probably doesn't matter too much in summer or hot weather.

Again, I've never read anything about using ATF in a V1, just ND20.

I mean I put 1350 miles on a clutch with 20w50 and then I went and put another 400 more on it and it still has meat on the shoes so not sure where you heard that

non detergent oil is for garellis and thats about it

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I have always run ND30 and had no reason to try anything else. The detergent also does it's thing on the seals so why add something known to eat rubber? Sure the clutch pads have no ill effect, but the clutch side crank seal sure does. I have put literally 10k miles plus on a V1 running ND30

> ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ’ฆ Of the Loin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ATF is too thin for v1 clutch

>

> its a big steel boy, you want a thicker oil to tolerate all the banging

> together of metal parts

>

> detergents don't do anything to your v1 clutch unless its a tomos cork

> clutch or a garelli rubber clutch

Isn't type f around the same weight as 20W?

Just try it then. If it doesn't work, drain it out and use what's recommended for it. Or cooking oil. Or essential oils. Whatever floats your boat.

nah Type F is the same weight as 5-10W fork oil

its a lot lot thinner than 20W and a shit ton thinner than 50W

> Research Account Wrote:

> > ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ’ฆ Of the Loin Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ATF is too thin for v1 clutch

>

> >

>

> > its a big steel boy, you want a thicker oil to tolerate all the

> banging

>

> > together of metal parts

>

> >

>

> > detergents don't do anything to your v1 clutch unless its a tomos cork

>

> > clutch or a garelli rubber clutch

>

> Isn't type f around the same weight as 20W?

Type F has been compared to 10 Weight fork oill and reported to be slightly finer/thinner . There wasn't any scientific process used , so I'm guessing their statement of type F being close to 7 weight is just that , a guess .

None the less , the guys that wrote that had a good reputation , so take it for what it is .

I recall that^ from years ago and can't find the source to back it . :(

Update: Tried type F and clutch seemed to slip a lot, gearbox ran hot.

Testing 80W90 gear oil to see how it runs, feels good and doesn't seem to foam but unsure as to how the clutch will handle high pressure additives and friction modifiers in the oil, if anyone knows more about this please share.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Iโ€™ve never used anything other than ND-20 oil and I have logged thousands and thousands of trouble free miles on my V-1 peds. Never once did I have to change a clutch in any of them. Why mess with what works?

Testing this gear oil

index.png

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> Iโ€™ve never used anything other than ND-20 oil and I have logged

> thousands and thousands of trouble free miles on my V-1 peds. Never once

> did I have to change a clutch in any of them. Why mess with what works?

just to experiment

because if you think oil whos tech hasn't changed in 30 years is "good"

thats like saying your 30 year old computer is "good" because it still runs

non detergent oil is garbage dont even bother with it

run at least a 15w-40 or 20w-50 for longetevity

I just drained the gear oil and tested type F again, and tried ND30.

Surprisingly the 80W90 gear oil felt the best out of the 3, type F and ND30 felt similar to eachother.

I did notice that the starter clutch didnt slip on type F or ND30, but did on the gear oil probably because of friction modifiers, not sure how good that would be for the clutch pads in the long run.

Im trying to find a modern alternative to non detergent because I havent found anyone whos tried anything new yet. (edited)

Not the same setup , but , I run 15w40 diesel oil in my FA50 .

Tried everything else , except Jack Daniels and water .

The diesel is best .

Gonna try out a mix of about 50% Type F and 50% 80w90 gear oil. I don't see why a v1 clutch needs non detergent when it's clutch is more similar to types of bikes that happily run almost anything without problems.

Type F seems like it would be well formulated for a v1 but seems too thin, hopefully with gear oil mixed it will protect surfaces better while also being more grippy.

The argument of ND vs detergent for the v1 has been going for a long time and I think we should experiment and actually figure it out, imo the only threat detergent oil may have is it could foam but we can easily get stuff with anti foaming agents.

Regardless it seems v1s are built so tough I don't think the transmission will care what it runs.

Just tried the mix of gear oil and type F, feels really nice clutch grabs well.

After a hard run the gearbox wasnt nearly as hot to the touch as with ND30 and straight gear oil.

ND is only useful for the Garelli rubber clutch. It swells and is useless in any other oil.

Anyone who puts ND into a Minarelli that has a real clutch is just not doing any research at all and just doesn't care

Yeah im actually surprised that no one else has questioned running ND30. After running a mix of Type F and gear oil it feels much better and the gearbox runs significantly cooler than before.

I think the V1 clutches are tougher than they're made out to be and ill most likely be running gear oil + some type f to tune how it grabs.

they are extremely tough. I ran 5w-20 for 1300 miles on Bakers Dozen 1/2 from NYC to Austin and Austin to LA (other problems made me break down a bunch)

and then I put that clutch back in for #3 and ran another 600ish miles on it with 20w-50 up in the hills of Vermont/Maine

the pads still have meat, the little spring pucks are thrashed tho

I have noticed if you up the weight of your oil (in going from 5w-20 to 20w-50) that the torque transfer from clutch to rear wheel is more "solid". Likely due to the added friction of the heavier weight

Probably Fred /

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> I have always run ND30 and had no reason to try anything else. The

> detergent also does it's thing on the seals so why add something known

> to eat rubber? Sure the clutch pads have no ill effect, but the clutch

> side crank seal sure does. I have put literally 10k miles plus on a V1

> running ND30

It must have seals Made of a different material then a puch made in the same time period

I have around 10 years and thousands of miles on my puch engines using Synthetic motor oilโ€˜s of different grades In the tranny, many with 42 year old original or just as old nos ones when rebuilding engines and never had a failure or leak.

Iโ€™ve used synthetic motor oil in v1powered 5 star general and laser bikes and other bikes but only if they had asbestos lined clutches in them with no breakdown of seals

So basically what youโ€™re saying because we canโ€™t use synthetic 2 cycle oil in our gas mixture also Because that will damage the seals too.

Bunk,

yeah a 17x35x7 seal is not made to your moped standards

its made to much higher standards because its in use in so many applications

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I have always run ND30 and had no reason to try anything else. The

>

> > detergent also does it's thing on the seals so why add something known

>

> > to eat rubber? Sure the clutch pads have no ill effect, but the clutch

>

> > side crank seal sure does. I have put literally 10k miles plus on a

> V1

>

> > running ND30

>

> It must have seals Made of a different material then a puch made in the

> same time period

>

> I have around 10 years and thousands of miles on my puch engines using

> Synthetic motor oilโ€˜s of different grades In the tranny, many with 42

> year old original or just as old nos ones when rebuilding engines and

> never had a failure or leak.

>

> Iโ€™ve used synthetic motor oil in v1powered 5 star general and laser

> bikes and other bikes but only if they had asbestos lined clutches in

> them with no breakdown of seals

>

> So basically what youโ€™re saying because we canโ€™t use synthetic 2 cycle

> oil in our gas mixture also Because that will damage the seals too.

>

> Bunk,

My thoughts exactly, if motor oil would eat at the seals we have bigger issues to deal with.

Richard Eberline /

ethanol gas dries out any seal.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account