Re: MB5 Engine Swapped Build

I love this build with all my heart but do you got a bud who is gonna weld up the rest of the pipe? I seen the header welds and it seems like its gonna be a long road to weld up the rest. Mabye wire wheel the fuck out of it and blast the gas, turn up the heat, wire speed down and run that trigger finger on full stop and go.

I have some mb5 rims if those are toast.

Yea I know the welds are poopy, I'm no good at sheet metal with my 120V mig. I hit all the seams with a torch and wire wheel for prep. The beginning of the header was tougher because it was pretty pitted to begin with. Oh well, it's all together now and it'll be painted later.

I got it 'running' this morning. Very reluctant to start, wouldn't idle without some throttle, and didn't want to clear out when opened up.

Seems like the timing is wonky. I suspect the stator timing isn't playing nice with the mb5 cdi box. Today I'm going to swap it out with the blaster box and see if that works.

20200703_075258.jpg
20200703_075319.jpg

Came out nice.

Well it's finally running! Got the cdi swapped out with the oem blaster unit and it started in half a kick. Purring like a happy kitty. Now I just need to get the lighting coil and voltage regulator hooked up to get it streetable.

It really hates keeping the front wheel down if you can believe it.

It pushes 70mph wide open right now but I need to gear it up a bit because 1st is so low it's almost unusable.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

The exhaust looks great! Hugs the bike nicely. This really is going down in history for me as one of the best builds I've seen! Please please please post some videos of you riding it around.

Also, how is that pipe hitting? Low mid or high? My guess is low since its a wheelie machine.

Fyi they make lots of after market performance crop for that motor for when your ready to do more. I think you can make it a 250cc

Pushrod Fifty /

Awesome build. The pipe fits perfectly around the engine and along the side. Maybe going up one tooth on the front sprocket will even out the gearing.

Were you able to get the ignition sorted by using the blaster box?

So dope. Hopefully we can see it when all the madness calms down.

Now this is real good. A fun MB5, bless my heart.

Messed up my knee out on the trails a few weeks ago so progress has been a little slow recently. Its running great now and coming down to the fine tuning.

As for the electronics, I switched the CDI and coil over to the oem blaster parts to eliminate issues with the MB5 parts. After doing some research about MB5 cdi options it seems like they have odd timing that isn't easily compatable with other bikes or aftermarket boxes. I also installed the Blaster 12v regulator in place of the rec/batt circuit and my lights are working perfectly.

Once I had the electrics sorted, I was having a lot of problems getting it jetted correctly on the main circuit having tried everything from the stock #230 up to a #310. Come to find out after hours of troubleshooting and forum scanning that the emulsion tube in the carb is held in place by a small washer under the main jet. Seems like they always get lost and both carbs I have were missing it, letting the emulsion tube walk out into the carb body. Found a washer that fit and it was instantly running 10x better.

The pipe is an fmf fatty and is designed as a solid trail pipe with strond low-mid power. Seems to taper off pretty easily with mellow top end. It's painted now and doesnt look half bad from 5 ft away.

20200722_203309.jpg

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Thats an awesome picture right there

PNW island living has a few perks!

fuck that rules. shit is gnarly as hell.

yea you're right on the MB5 cdi's being not really interchangeable it seems. def seems they've got some built in timing offset or something, people regularly have trouble trying to replace the stock CDI's and only another MB5 cdi box works.

pipe is crazy

what island are you on? My uncle lives on Whidbey, a dude who used to ride with us in atl got stationed out there too

Vashon! We just moved out there a couple months ago. Only accessable by ferry which is nice because it forces me to ride so I can skip the lines. Haven't been to Whidby yet

Probably should've known it wasn't going to work but the harnesses were all the right length and already had compatable connectors so it was too good not to give it a try.

You can probably sell that MB5 CDI box for some cash, I paid $70 for one on eBay a few years ago.

LOVE this build! Hopefully we can meet someday, Mosquito Fleet does a ride on Vashon once a year

Travis, Cameron was at the last Puddle Cutter’s rally.

Beautiful build. Love when the powersport world collides with moped world. So much fun to be had.

So sick! You live on Vashon now?

Holy hell, this is incredible. Very nice build. If you can color match the cradle with the frame it would look stock!

Travi, I may have met you briefly at in Portland last year. That was my first rally and my bike was very slow so I didn't get too wild.

Since I've ruined quite a bit of the paint on the frame I think in the future I'll get the frame, swingarm, and engine cradle stripped and powdercoated to match the original red. That'll be so sick but I need to wait for the funds for now.

What is top speed on that thing? Must be an easy wheelie puller?

That whole 5 day stretch is a big blur to me, other than Friday/Saturday I barely got to ride myself maybe we did met! You'll definitely be at the front of the pack at the next one with this MB5 though

> Cameron Cate Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Travi, I may have met you briefly at in Portland last year. That was my

> first rally and my bike was very slow so I didn't get too wild.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account